swimming!!!!!!

Options
i didnt know this until i was just loggen in exercises and seeign how many cals are burned per hour and which ones where really worth doing,! swimming - just leisurly joking around for fun swimming is like 600 calories burnt her hour! its so easy because it doesnt feel like a work out! :) i went today for 2 hours 20 minutes and i burnt 1499 calories but i was also swimming freestyle and haulen kids on my back like i was a boat!
im just in shock that it is that high of a calorie burn! :) when it was break time and kids had to get out i was doing squats and lunges in the water!

Replies

• mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 3 times a week for 2 hrs. deep and shallow end and it is a great workout. Plus I am so tired being in the sun and working out. Enjoy the swimming.:flowerforyou:
  • jodieunited
    jodieunited Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yeah i do aqua aerobics tis funnnnn!!
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    i didnt know this until i was just loggen in exercises and seeign how many cals are burned per hour and which ones where really worth doing,! swimming - just leisurly joking around for fun swimming is like 600 calories burnt her hour! its so easy because it doesnt feel like a work out! :) i went today for 2 hours 20 minutes and i burnt 1499 calories but i was also swimming freestyle and haulen kids on my back like i was a boat!
    im just in shock that it is that high of a calorie burn! :) when it was break time and kids had to get out i was doing squats and lunges in the water!

Thanks for this post.I didn't know you could lose that much weight in the pool.I guess i will have to try that now.:flowerforyou:

1328847.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tleigh
    tleigh Posts: 58
    Options
    oh yeah...swimming is my workout of choice right now. And the best thing for me is I can be working out and playing with my kids at the same time!
  • DJDUFFY
    DJDUFFY Posts: 98
    Options
    I am going swimming tonight to burn off my calories that i went over tonight.
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming laps everyday since june 3 for 2 hours a day and i have lost 13 lbs. swimming is a great workout it works every muslce in your body. I also take water aerobics 5 days a week to so i am in the pool 7 days a week on a 1500 calorie diet. needles to say i burn more calrthan i eat..lol:happy:

1199832.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foodsoies
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have started doing water aerobics and swimming on Fri-Sun, the days I don't do Jazzercise, at the local YMCA and I love it. The problem is the chlorine in the water. I already have very dry and sensitive skin and the water is wreaking havoc on my hair and skin. I'm prone to psoriasis and eczema. I would like to swim more but I'm afraid that I will break out if I go more than 2x a week. I had a rash starting the very first time I went due to the heavy chlorine. Also, my skin and hair still smell like chlorine even after I shower.

Any tips/suggestions? At the Y they told us to take a shower and get our hair wet before getting in the pool because if your hair/skin is already saturated with water it won't soak in as much chlorine, but it doesn't really seem to help that much.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have started doing water aerobics and swimming on Fri-Sun, the days I don't do Jazzercise, at the local YMCA and I love it. The problem is the chlorine in the water. I already have very dry and sensitive skin and the water is wreaking havoc on my hair and skin. I'm prone to psoriasis and eczema. I would like to swim more but I'm afraid that I will break out if I go more than 2x a week. I had a rash starting the very first time I went due to the heavy chlorine. Also, my skin and hair still smell like chlorine even after I shower.

Any tips/suggestions? At the Y they told us to take a shower and get our hair wet before getting in the pool because if your hair/skin is already saturated with water it won't soak in as much chlorine, but it doesn't really seem to help that much.

Funny that you mention that. My hair has turned green from our pool! I am actually going to the store after work and buying tomato juice to wash it in. It is suppose to take the chlorine out. I have heard to wet your hair before going swimming, that is suppose to help like you said.
  • laurelbug
    laurelbug Posts: 22
    Options

I life-guarded, coached a swim team, and taught lessons all through high school and college. I feel you on the dry skin! I always shower right after getting out and use Ultra Swim shampoo. http://www.ultraswim.com/ As for my skin I just use a fragrance free lotion and a little aloe.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I try to swim for 6 or 7 hours per week & have found that my hair became very straw like. Now I shower before going in the pool & coverr my hair with conditioner before getting in & my hair is much better now.