Annoyed with a confused body

Options
For the last month or two i have been fluctuating between 117 and 125 lbs, i really think it's confused, it goes up and down like it doesn't know what weight it wants to stay at or i lose weight and my body gets scared and wants to gain it back or i don't know. How do i break this, it's really annoying me because when i think i lose some weight, it goes right back up and i have been at 119 for the past two weeks no matter what i do. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Okay... I normally don't concern myself with this kind of thing, but you are worrying me.
    Your ticker says you have 25 pounds to lose still. If you are at 119 pounds, losing 25 would put you at... 94 pounds.
    94 pounds is only safe if you're 58-59 inches tall.

How tall are you? Unless you 4' 10-11" tall, then 94 pounds is bad, especially considering it's the lowest end of the healthy range.

Also, your profile picture looks a bit scary too. That girl is stick thin.

What are your goals? Tell us about yourself, we may be able to help you with your goals, whatever they may be.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    I'm about 5"3 and i haven't really changed my ticker thing yet since my weight has been going up and down so much, i plan to go down to about 105 to 108lbs and i think that's healthy and it's not extreme or anything.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    I think your screen name says a lot. Don't want to judge since I don't know you at all but your goal weight does put you right at the bottom of a healthy weight. Have you spoken to your doctor about your goals? It says you're a dancer so I can kinda understand your desire to be thin but please be careful. Your body might just be saying "enough" and is happy where it is. Something to consider
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    no offense. but you guys are being a-holes to someone who was looking for support. everyone is an expert on someone elses life.

fluctuating that weight is totally normal, weight can fluctuate around 5 lbs give or take a bit. i wouldn't sweat it. keep at your journey and being healthy :)
  • jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    no offense. but you guys are being a-holes to someone who was looking for support. everyone is an expert on someone elses life.

fluctuating that weight is totally normal, weight can fluctuate around 5 lbs give or take a bit. i wouldn't sweat it. keep at your journey and being healthy :)

They are not being 'a holes' they are being CONCERNED. They care about her and are just making sure shes being safe. Being underweight is just as dangerous as being overweight, but yet I don't see you calling other people 'a holes' for agreeing that being 180 lbs and 5'3 is unhealthy.

I used to be anorexic, and at one point I was 97 lbs at 5'5, and I was put in the hospital.

No ones being mean, they are just being concerned.
  • foxyforce
    Options

They are not being 'a holes' they are being CONCERNED. They care about her and are just making sure shes being safe. Being underweight is just as dangerous as being overweight, but yet I don't see you calling other people 'a holes' for agreeing that being 180 lbs and 5'3 is unhealthy.

I used to be anorexic, and at one point I was 97 lbs at 5'5, and I was put in the hospital.

i just find that sometimes that concern is so unwarranted and unwelcomed. she was asking a specific question and i didn't see anyone answer it.

weight fluctuates...and it is normal.

AND assessing her screen name is an a-hole'ish' thing to do
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Don't let negative people get you down!!

I delt with the same things. I was between 120-125 for a month in a half then magically one day I broke it..now I gained 2 pounds. I really don't know what causes it. I don't know if it has to do with when you are weighing yourself, what you had to eat the night before, if you released everything in your body that morning..I don't know. It can get very confusing because everyday is a new number so you're never exaclty sure whats right!

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • MFPfriend
    Options

i just find that sometimes that concern is so unwarranted and unwelcomed. she was asking a specific question and i didn't see anyone answer it.

I was asking questions to give her a better answer.
    If she was 4"11, I would have given her a different answer than what I will give her now, considering she's 5;3",

Please don't call me an *kitten*- I'm just trying to help someone out.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    I'm about 5"3 and i haven't really changed my ticker thing yet since my weight has been going up and down so much, i plan to go down to about 105 to 108lbs and i think that's healthy and it's not extreme or anything.

Whew! Good to know. 105 pounds would put you in the healthy range.

As for your issue, the last 20 pounds will always be the hardest (it can take a good 6 months). You really need to make sure you drink lots of water, and also make sure your sodium levels are in check (cutting out some processed food is a good idea for this).

And with the last 10-20 pounds, it can really become more of a measurement thing than a scale thing. If you are exercising regularly, you are gaining muscle (not enough to gain two pounds in a week, but still gaining muscle). Exercising makes you hold in water, so that could be the problem too.

All in all, I'd start with taking some measurements. Then make sure you're keeping your sodium down, your water levels up, and your food diary consistent.

Good luck! =)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Im also stuck on a weight but its not fluctuating like yours. Sometimes you just need to up your exercise levels to see some results but as the above poster says its always the last 10lbs thats the hardest and since you dont have much to loose try not to get too frustrated. Just keep going with healthy eating and exercise and you will get there :)
  • jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Options

But that wasn't the intent. Sometimes in order to help other people you need to be a little unwelcoming. Do you think I was excited to go to the hospital? Do you think I recovered with doctors and nurses treating me like I was a princess? No.

but now that we know shes not being unhealthy, the point is moot.
  • amyslay
    amyslay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    could also be your scale needs a new battery (mine did that)
  • foxyforce
    Options

But that wasn't the intent. Sometimes in order to help other people you need to be a little unwelcoming. Do you think I was excited to go to the hospital? Do you think I recovered with doctors and nurses treating me like I was a princess? No.

but now that we know shes not being unhealthy, the point is moot.
  • jenibookworm
    Options
    Hey girl,

Well i am no expert but there are some things that can make your wieght fluctuate.
    1)near to your menstral cycle you will weigh more due to water retention.
    2)always weigh yourself at the same time. your wieght will fluctuate throughout the day.
    3) water retention, if you have recently increased your sodium intake.

overall it is normal for weight to fluctuate. It is a good idea not to weigh yourself everyday but every three days to once a week.
    Good luck on your goal.

Jen