Cutting out wheat = weight loss?

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
I have failed to lose any weight for the past 2 months of being on MFP, even with logging calories and working out 5 times a week. I constantly fluctuate between 132-135 lbs.

This week I have decided to give up splenda and sugar, and now contemplating going gluten free for a while. Has this worked for anyone to jump start some weight loss?

I am pretty desperate, so I'll try anything. I would like to lose at least 5 lbs by Mother's Day.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't depended on a food group unless you have an allergy or sensitivity to that food. People who have a gluten issue usually lose weight because of the diarrhea caused by eating it. If you have weight to lose and it isn't coming off your probably need to re evaluate your calorie intake versus exercise not start blaming individual foods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have failed to lose any weight for the past 2 months of being on MFP, even with logging calories and working out 5 times a week. I constantly fluctuate between 132-135 lbs.

This week I have decided to give up splenda and sugar, and now contemplating going gluten free for a while. Has this worked for anyone to jump start some weight loss?

I am pretty desperate, so I'll try anything. I would like to lose at least 5 lbs by Mother's Day.

Perhaps you're overeating?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magic about cutting something out of your diet. If you want to lose weight, you eat at a moderate calorie deficit. Gluten free products are no lower calorie than products with gluten.

Open your diary to the public so we can see what you're actually eating.
  • dewsmom78
    Options
    I have been eating my TDEE which is 1800 - 20%. So around 1400 net calories. I usually eat most of my exercise calories.

I really don't think I am overeating. I am 5'2. 134lbs, 34 years old.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been eating my TDEE which is 1800 - 20%. So around 1400 net calories. I usually eat most of my exercise calories.

There is no eating of exercise calories if you're eating at a deficit to your TDEE, as TDEE includes exercise
  • Jorra
    Options

You already seem to be at a healthy weight. It's much harder and slower weight loss when you have so little to lose.
  • dewsmom78
    Options

You already seem to be at a healthy weight. It's much harder and slower weight loss when you have so little to lose.

I am not at a healthy weight. I should be under 130 lbs for my height. My current body fat is 29.5 % which is too high as well. I'd be fine with my current weight if my body fat would go down about 5%.
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options

There is no eating of exercise calories if you're eating at a deficit to your TDEE, as TDEE includes exercise

^this.
    Why are you eating back exercise calories if you calculated your TDEE (TDEE factors in exercise calories already) ? Stop eating them back, weightloss may then start to happen.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Cutting wheat and refined sugar out of my diet made me lose weight in that it caused me to lose interest in food. There is research that suggests refined sugar does increase hunger.

But, I have also seen tangential benefits that have convinced my that my body doesn't tolerate gluten well. So, it is also possible that I was eating a lot to ease a general feeling of malaise or being unwell caused by gluten.

It can't hurt you to try excising wheat from your diet. Give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding some non-starchy vegetable servings? Or an extra serving of lean program? It has worked for me in the past.
  • dewsmom78
    Options

^this.
    Why are you eating back exercise calories if you calculated your TDEE (TDEE factors in exercise calories already) ? Stop eating them back, weightloss may then start to happen.

Ok, maybe I was confused there. So I should be eating my TDEE less the 20% and no more than that. Ok, we'll see if that helps. Thanks!
  • Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options

ok, maybe I was confused there. So I should be eating my TDEE less the 20% and no more than that. Ok, we'll see if that helps. Thanks!

No problem, its likely youve found your maintenance level calories now as youve been at the same weight for an extended amount of time. Dropping out the exercise calories should get you back into loss mode. Failing that recalculate your TDEE using a lower activity multiplier. So if you used lightly active, time to drop it to sedetary etc etc.
  • Jorra
    Options

I am not at a healthy weight. I should be under 130 lbs for my height. My current body fat is 29.5 % which is too high as well. I'd be fine with my current weight if my body fat would go down about 5%.

A woman with 5% body fat would be dead. 10-13% is the absolute minimum BF% for woman. The average woman has 25-31% body fat. You're in an acceptable range.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Cutting out wheat and starch worked for me in the past, and it works for me now. You could try it and see if it can help you in particular.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

This, if you are using the TDEE method and still eat your exercise calories you are eating too much and therefore not losing weight....
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options

A woman with 5% body fat would be dead. 10-13% is the absolute minimum BF% for woman. The average woman has 25-31% body fat. You're in an acceptable range.

I think the OP is saying she wants to go down by 5% which would be 24% not go down to 5%.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Alot of people "plateau", which means you lose a certain amount, and then you just kinda stay there. When this happens you need to change up your exercise regimine. You have to increase the amount or intensity of your exercises in order to lose those last few stubborn pounds.

You can also look into a colon cleanse. It's not pretty, but it helps.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Just remember if you try gluten free products, read your labels, most gluten free products are higher in sugar than their gluten counterparts.

Edit for spelling
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Cutting out wheat and other grains, as well as most sugars, is working for me. I absolutely do not think that (excluding certain medical issues) cutting out a food group is a magic bullet for anyone that will cause the weight to come flying off. However, for me, it basically eliminates a lot of snacky, less filling options (like pretzels, crackers, etc) and forces me to choose my foods that are high in bulk (fiber/water content) - veggies, beans, etc - or high in protein - lean meats, dairy, etc. This makes it a lot easier for me to stay within my calorie goals because the foods I'm eating are more filling for less calories. Plus, I'm noticing that I'm just not feeling hungry as often. I think there's also a blood sugar component in addition to the foods being filling that's helping that aspect.

And, I actually truly feel that this way of eating is sustainable for me. Yes, of course, I plan to have an occasional treat of pizza or fresh bakery bread or something every once in awhile, it's not all or nothing for me. But day to day, I'm really happy eating this way.

So, to answer your question, you can try it. Like I said, it won't be magic, you still have to meet your deficit/exercise goals. But, if you think it's something that you think could help you do that, it's not going to hurt you to give it a try. Worst case is in 4-6 weeks you realize that it's not helping so you re-introduce those foods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

^this.

Ok, maybe I was confused there. So I should be eating my TDEE less the 20% and no more than that. Ok, we'll see if that helps. Thanks!

yes, you were eating at maintenance which is why no loss.