eating your exercise calories

Options
The extra calories that the chart gives you is the exercise calories,does any one here eats all of it or a portion??

Replies

• imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I usually eat all of it, depending on the workout. Sometimes, I am not hungry so I dont eat it back. I just eat the minimum.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
  • gperry227
    gperry227 Posts: 93
    Options
    There have been a lot of discussions on this. Technically, you are supposed to eat all your exercise calories. Sometimes I do eat all of them, most of the time I do not though.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in eating those calories after you worked so hard to burn them. It makes me wonder why even bother exercising at all.
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in eating those calories after you worked so hard to burn them. It makes me wonder why even bother exercising at all.

Are the reasons that exercise allows you to be strong, feel good, sleep well, and lower your risk of some diseases enough? ;)
  • ZebraHead
    Options

Search the web find out for yourself. You must eat your exercise calories. Don't let anyone tell you anything. Go, find out! Stop accepting blanket responses here....
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I understand why they say to eat your exercise cals, and I normally eat a good portion of them, but my loss has stalled for so long now that I think this week I'm going to stick to my 1400 cal allowance and not eat the addition cals when I earn them from exercise. I'm hoping that this will help me get back on track and start losing again. Of course it could completely back fire on me. We shall see
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    It really depends on your weight! If you are morbidly obese you can do without eating the exercise calories. But someone that is at or close to their goal weight might need to eat those calories back to avoid the body using the muscle for its energy.
  • snoopypet
    snoopypet Posts: 6
    Options
    "... The important thing to understand is (and this is REALLY important) the closer you are to your overall healthy weight (again, your metabolism views this a a range, not a specific number) the more prominant the survival mode becomes (remember, we talked about efficiency). This is because as fat becomes scarce, muscle is easier to break down and transport. And thus, the reason why it's harder to lose that "Last 10 pounds". ..."

I followed and read the link from a previous post and I feel this says it all. IMO if you're trying to lose weight, especially a significant amount, you don't eat what you just burnt off. That defeats the purpose. And you more than likely have plenty more stored for future use. But by the same token you still want to eat at least the minimum 1200 calories. I'm a believer that the calories consumed vs burnt is not to be judged daily just as you shouldn't be weighing yourself daily. I would love to see a weekly running total for calories, etc because when the 7 days are up and you step on that scale, you should already have an idea if you lost or not.

On the other hand, if you're using this website primarily to gauge your intake of nutritional values other than calories (ie sodium, cholesterol,calcium,etc) and weight loss is not as important, then by all means you should treat yourself to something high in calories...............
  • betty51
    betty51 Posts: 52
    Options

Thanks for the link !! Very informative !! NOW I KNOW!!!
  • ZebraHead
    Options

Thanks for the link !! Very informative !! NOW I KNOW!!!

Please thanks goes to Banks. You would do well to look him up on MFP, there are a few people on MFP who have provided the basic information that you need. Banks is one of those people. Look for his original posts (in the sticky posts) they are that good....