Not Losing...

Options
I've been stuck at the same weight for the last month and a half or so. I calculated my BMR and TDEE and I net around 1800 each day. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... could anyone take a look at my diary and give me some advice? Thanks.

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Did you take your measurements?
    What does your exercise look like?
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    What is your height and your weight? Perhaps your calculations were wrong?

But from a cursory glance at your diary:
    - I would cut back your sodium to a religious 2500mg max a day
    - Personally, I have better results when I stick to under 200g of carbs and over 100g of protein a day (perhaps this may be the same for you?)
    - Lastly, what do you use to measure your foods? Sometimes foods are miscalculated which can contribute a great margin in error for your calories, macros, and micros.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Did you take your measurements?
    What does your exercise look like?

I have taken my measurements and they've barely budged.
    I am training for a half-marathon right now. I run/walk for about 50 minutes approximately 3 times a week. Since I'm nearing the race, I stopped doing the 30 DS video on off days but I did that for about a month.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your exercise calories? Be sure you're not over estimating.

I noticed you eat a lot of processed food and massive amounts of sodium (my diary would look pretty similar this week...) - might be something to consider.
  • katerinajulia
    Options
    What is your height and your weight? Perhaps your calculations were wrong?

But from a cursory glance at your diary:
    - I would cut back your sodium to a religious 2500mg max a day
    - Personally, I have better results when I stick to under 200g of carbs and over 100g of protein a day (perhaps this may be the same for you?)
    - Lastly, what do you use to measure your foods? Sometimes foods are miscalculated which can contribute a great margin in error for your calories, macros, and micros.

Sorry, I forgot to add in that i'm 5'10" and currently 194 pounds.
    I'll see if I can do that, but I'm having a hard time finding food that are high in protein and lower in carbs.
    I'm quite positive that I'm logging correctly - I use measuring spoons and a food scale and such.
  • katerinajulia
    Options
    How are you measuring your exercise calories? Be sure you're not over estimating.

I noticed you eat a lot of processed food and massive amounts of sodium (my diary would look pretty similar this week...) - might be something to consider.

I use a HRM when I run and I transfer any burned calories into MFP.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I do think it is your sodium intake..... try having a solid week where you are sticking to under 2500mg of sodium and see what results you get.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I'm short, so my perspective may be off, but netting 1800 seems like an awful lot! Have you tried just eating 1800.
  • katerinajulia
    Options
    I do think it is your sodium intake..... try having a solid week where you are sticking to under 2500mg of sodium and see what results you get.

Okay, thank you! I'll try to keep it down.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, too much sodium. Trade some of your refined carbs for something like a carrot stick, or a serving of fruit. Eliminate some sodium. You could be holding water weight. Never hurts to try it out.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you calculated your TDEE or what number it gave you. If you calculated your TDEE using a moderate level of activity because you exercise during the week, you wouldn't be eating back your exercise calories. If you calculated it using sedentary then you would be right to eat back some exercise calories.

The other thing to remember is that unless you actually had your BMR/RMR tested, an online calculator (or mathematical formula worked out by hand) can only give you an estimate. If you are maintaining your weight and not losing weight, then your calories are too high. There are studies that show that BMR can vary from person to person. BMR given by calculation relies on averages across populations to give a number. You could cut your calories by 10% and see what happens.

Edit to add: Of course there could be an even easier problem that you aren't correctly weighing everything as even measuring with measuring cups/ measuring spoons can give inaccurate results.
  • katerinajulia
    Options
    I'm short, so my perspective may be off, but netting 1800 seems like an awful lot! Have you tried just eating 1800.

My BMR is around 1650, and on my exercise days I'm burning over 500 calories. If I just eat 1800, I'm netting significantly below my BMR and I've heard that's not such a great idea - considering I workout 3-4 times a week.
  • katerinajulia
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice!
    I think I'm going to cut down my net to 1600 and try to lower carbs & sodium and up my protein intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you using the TDEE method or MFP method?
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Sorry, I forgot to add in that i'm 5'10" and currently 194 pounds.
    I'll see if I can do that, but I'm having a hard time finding food that are high in protein and lower in carbs.
    I'm quite positive that I'm logging correctly - I use measuring spoons and a food scale and such.

I am 5'10 as well. My diary is protein heavy and is open so take a look to see if anything sounds good. I do not eat any processed foods. Friend me if you'd like.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just calculated your TDEE and BMR from the stats you provided. Lowering your calories is not the answer. Your BMR is 1742 and your TDEE is 2701. Which means you need to eat around 2160 calories. You aren't eating enough.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • kellymiller23
    Options
    I am also 5'10". I have my goal at net 1600, but usually come in around 1400.

I see a lot of frozen, processed, and pre-packaged food, "diet" food, "fat-free" food, etc. These foods are usually packed with sodium and sweeteners. Try and stick to real, "whole" foods as much as possible. Fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, small amounts of dairy, and eggs. That's been working for me. (I don't eat dairy, but at 18, you need it). Also, adjust your food diary settings to monitor your sugar intake as well. Stay away from artificial sweetener, it will sabotage all your efforts. Good luck!!