How do I lose weight withot loosing musles?

Options
hope002
hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
I know, a lot of people will say to lift heavy - well I can't. I have level 3 scoliosys and I am not supposed to lift heavy things. I also have bad knees (not too bad) and I struggle with squats - I am really trying though.
Before was doing c25k 6 times a week (completed it) and 30 day shred 6-7 times a week. But after reading about how you can lose musles doin too much cario, I changed my wourkouts recently.
Right now I do Ripped in 30 6-7 times a week with 5lbs weights, jog 5k once a week, and do 5k improver 2 times a week (300m run as fast as I can and 100m walk). I upped my protein to about 120-150g/day.

Can someone please tell me if I am doing it right? Or what do I have to change for it to be right.

Here are my my process pics
Feb 3 - Mar 3
1-30side_zps7a8fe318.jpg

Jan 3 - Feb 3 - Mar 3
Jan-Feb-Marsd_zps8886da53.jpg

Replies

• marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    The answer doesn't have to be lifting heavy... It just needs to include resistance training... that way you can tone and define the muscle you do have.... It could take the form of free weights or I'm sure resistance bands would work.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You should try deep water aerobics!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    People who lose weight without having resistance training of SOME FORM, will end up skinny fat. That means... they'll have diminished their LBM at the sake of getting to their goal weight. Resistance training is the only thing which will preserve muscle.
  • hope002
    Options
    You should try deep water aerobics!
    I will. But I can't do that on a regular basis, I don't go to the gym
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would look into bodyweight exercises and the resistance bands. You just need some sort of strength training to retain your lean body mass.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a good set of resistance bands - you can adjust exercises to your level easily.
  • hope002
    Options
    I also suggest a good set of resistance bands - you can adjust exercises to your level easily.
    I will definetelly look for resistance bands. Is there a resistance bands exercese program I could follow?
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can get a great workout with just body weight. Yoga, pilates, bar classes, calisthenics, etc. I think I get in the best shape from the pushups alone! I do strength training as well and if you work with a good trainer, they can help with your back issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Resistance training of some sort. You just need to use the muscle to preserve the muscle. Also, moderate calorie deficit and lots of protein.

I think where the "too much cardio = muscle loss" comes into play is that people do hours and hours and create huge deficits that they don't fuel which leads to muscle loss.

Reality is 30-45 minutes of aerobic cardio 3x weekly is plenty, in combination with a good resistance training program. This is far more beneficial than hours on endless hours of elliptical and treadmill work.
  • tpatrickjr
    Options
    Do resistance training (weights or bands) at two sets of 15 reps. Set the resistance (weight or band strength) so you can do a full 15 first set, and on your second set you're failing (can't do 1 more) near the 15th rep. If you can do a full 15 on both sets, you need to increase weight or resistance band strength. Try to aim so you are doing 15-13 or 15-10. You'll lean out and won't bulk up, and you'll burn extra calories and increase metabolism.
  • rendonjr
    rendonjr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    you can try this. ITs def. not for the weak. good reading about losing fat and retaining LBM. Basically avoiding high aerobice exercises while doing some resistance workouts with a diet of high protein and low carbs.

velocity diet, at t-nation.com

P90x at http://teamripped.com/tweaking-calories-and-macros/

you can tweak your diet and do body exercises to maintain LBM and lose fat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've also got major knee and back injuries so the big compound lifts are counter-productive for me - I really don't like the taste of hospital food.... :smile:

I can't squat, deadlift or lunge and any heavy compression of the spine is bad news for me.
    So I have to do more isolation work than would be optimal if I had healthy joints. A lot of my strength training involves either machines, bodyweight or dumbbells. Using single dumbbells effectively halves the weight on your spine but obviously the downside is that it takes twice the time.

The "too much cardio burns away muscle" is a myth by the way - if you are eating properly it won't.
  • hope002
    Options
    Ripped in 30 is a 3 circuits program.
    Each circuit consist of
    3 minutes strength (push-ups, squats, biceps, triceps and so on) I do it with 5lbs dumbells
    2 minutes cardio
    1 minute abs

total 20 minutes plus warm-up and cool-down - 27 minutes