Atkins & using MFP for no or low carb diets?

Options
cfriend71
cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
How can it work, if I am not eating carbs or very little? The calorie calculations are for diets including carbs. I guess I can just ignore it and come here for support. I lost 5 lbs this past week (starting the 2nd week of induction today) and want to be active on here daily for motivation.

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I, too, am doing reduced carb while using MFP. You can change your macro-nutrient percentages in settings. I do that and just ignore calories as long as I hit those percentages.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Play around a bit with the settings so you're tracking what you want to track and that's what's visible in your main view.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your goals as necessary but I wouldn't recommend no carb. Fiber is counted as a carb and veggies, while low carb, include them. 30% of calories from carbs is really as low as I would go.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can tweak the settings to lower that or you can just ignore the carb amounts in your daily goals and focus on the protein and calories. I know my main focus is always on the calories and I only check on things like fiber and sodium to make sure I'm getting enough and not too much, respectively.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I am trying low carb too. I just adjusted carb % to the goal I am trying to reach. I am being more successful with low carb than the years of low calorie/fat! There are a few low carb groups on here too. What are you having for sweets? That has been my hardest part!!
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    I'm on a low carb program, and I basically ignore the calorie totals. I've been eating between 20 to 40 net carbs a day, and I stopped eating sugar and grain on December 26th. I see this as a Way of Life, and of the many diets I've been on over the years, low carb is the only program that works for me.
  • FitForMe19
    Options
    I Also Just Started The Atkins Diet With My Mother. My Question Is Once You Start Eating Your Carbs Again After You Get To Your Goal Weight How Do You Keep The Weight Off? My Mother Has Done It Before And As Soon As She Starts Eating Carbs Again It All Comes Right Back Plus 10lbs!!! Also What Kind Of Sweet Things Can We Eat? Any Advice Would Help!!! Thank You!!!

Need Diet Buddies!!! :D
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    you should absolutely not be eating NO carbs. incredibly unhealthy.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I Also Just Started The Atkins Diet With My Mother. My Question Is Once You Start Eating Your Carbs Again After You Get To Your Goal Weight How Do You Keep The Weight Off? My Mother Has Done It Before And As Soon As She Starts Eating Carbs Again It All Comes Right Back Plus 10lbs!!! Also What Kind Of Sweet Things Can We Eat? Any Advice Would Help!!! Thank You!!!

Need Diet Buddies!!! :D

I agree with the post before yours: It can't be a diet. It has to be a lifestyle change. My husband dropped 30 lbs in a month by doing no carbs and exercising like crazy. As soon as he went back to his normal eating,he gained it all back and then some. It has to be a lifestyle change, just like with any other "diet". You can add me if you want,
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I did no carb for a while (about 3 months) and dropped about 25 pounds. My numbers were great, but it did get boring. I now do just low-carb.
  • FitForMe19
    Options
    So There Is No Way To Do It Just To Get To My Goal Weight And Maybe SLOWLY Start Eating Them Again Or It Has To Be A Forever Change? Im Game For A Lifestyle Change, My Mother On The Other Hand...Not So Much
  • FitForMe19
    Options
    I JUST Found These Cookies Called "Zero Cookies" NO CARBS NO GLUTEN NO STARCH NO SUGAR!!! And The Actually Satisfy My Sweet Tooth. Granted They DO NOT Tastes Like Your Grandmas Chocolate Chip Fresh Baked BUT They Get The Job Done! :smile:
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of your information. I am not looking for recommendations on my diet, however, and already started no or low carb and I'm sticking to it. If anyone has any good low or no carb recipes or ideas, please feel free to forward them.

Thanks!
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm doing a low carb diet, or very little. I appreciate your concern, but I am not here for opposition, just support. :wink:
  • cfriend71
    Options
    I am trying low carb too. I just adjusted carb % to the goal I am trying to reach. I am being more successful with low carb than the years of low calorie/fat! There are a few low carb groups on here too. What are you having for sweets? That has been my hardest part!!

I have been successful with this in the past as well. And I'm sticking to it. So let's add one another and support/exchange ideas. For sweets I have been getting the Atkins bars that are for all phases, and eating them, but sparingly, since they have sugar alcohols and can cause stomach upset & diarehha.
  • FitForMe19
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for all of your information. I am not looking for recommendations on my diet, however, and already started no or low carb and I'm sticking to it. If anyone has any good low or no carb recipes or ideas, please feel free to forward them.

Thanks!

If You Go To This Link http://www.youtube.com/user/JulianBakery?v=qvYcuUOXduw Its The Bakery That The Cookies Come From. They Have TONS Of Low Carb Recipies And Videos On How To Make Them! Hope It Helps!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity...for those of you that have been doing the low carb thing, have you been looking at your calories as well? If you are in line with your carbs, are your calories close to what MFP suggests?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There is NO truth to this statement. There is absolutely NO dietary requirement for carbohydrate. There is a dietary requirement for both protein and fat, but there is NO dietary requirement for CHO.

This is a common myth and has no basis in physiology or biochemistry.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I have been successful with this in the past as well. And I'm sticking to it. So let's add one another and support/exchange ideas. For sweets I have been getting the Atkins bars that are for all phases, and eating them, but sparingly, since they have sugar alcohols and can cause stomach upset & diarehha.
    FYI one of the main reasons to go Atkins is both reduced serum glucose AND insulin levels. The Atkins bars do elicit a response on both fronts, and I wouldn't recommend them, personally. Same goes for the Quest bars that many people tout on the forums.

Your best bet for sweet treats is small amounts of berries with some full-fat whipped cream. An entire cup of raspberries, for-example, is only 14.7g of carbohydrate - AND 8g of fiber, so it's actually only about 7g of carbohydrate. (Not all berries have as much fiber though)

I like eating 1/2c of berries with a little truvia on it and a couple tablespoons of full-fat whipped cream. Great treat, under 5g of carbohydrate.
  • cfriend71
    Options
    There is NO truth to this statement. There is absolutely NO dietary requirement for carbohydrate. There is a dietary requirement for both protein and fat, but there is NO dietary requirement for CHO.

This is a common myth and has no basis in physiology or biochemistry.

Thank you. I have read up on this also and found that it's perfectly healthy as long as you hydrate and keep your electrolytes up.