Help! Blender Suggestion for Fruit and Veggie Smoothies

Options
Eat2Win
Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
My ordinary blender is fine for the softer fruits and veggies, but when it comes down to blending some of the coarser raw foods, it
just doesn't get the job done. Please help me out if you could tell me what you use that isn't necessarily needing to be expensive to
work. Of course if you feel it takes one of those 500.00 ones, by all means let me know, I could get swayed :) I'll just have to save!

Replies

• Eat2Win
    Options
    Wow, no one out there has any suggestions........... :(
    I thought so many people are using fancy blenders and can help me out?
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    I love my Vitamix. I have had it for about 12 years and my mom has one from the 60's, still going strong.
  • Eat2Win
    Options
    I think this one is the more pricey one, but it must be worth the money if it lasts this long. Good to know. Thank you.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    VitaMix. Although I think BlendTec is just as good, I just don't have first-hand experience with one.

There is a huge difference between the high-end blenders and the $50 ones. On the plus side, my VitaMix is 10 years old, I use it multiple times daily, and it is still awesome. It's an investment, but it's worth it.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    save your dollars. we wanted a new blender cause we did not have one for a long time and eating more veggies in blended form sounds good. i researched for days. compared and searched and watched and read. and the winner is Vitamix. expensive, yes. but very happy with it. this thing blends like nothing you have ever seen. the days of getting little tid bits and ice not blending all the way are over. i can't not recommend it more. i am soo happy we saved and went this route rather than another 60-100 dollar blender that would prob not do near as good or last near as long. we have had it for a few weeks now and i do spinach a lot, no bits, just flavor. VITAMIX BAM! save your monies
    same as above, it was a close race between the vitamix and blendtec for us.
  • lkw0311
    lkw0311 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just got a Vitamix to help me with getting healthy and losing weight. Yes, its expensive, but so worth it!
    I make awesome fruit/veggie smoothies for breaksfast a few times a week and I'm FULL til lunch. Never happend before, even with hearty breaksfasts like oatmeal. Just use your imagination - I've tried mixing, strawberries, blueberries, banana, almond milk, juice, flax seeds, parsley, kale, lemon, etc.. - and they're delicious.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I love my Vitamix. I have had it for about 12 years and my mom has one from the 60's, still going strong.
    I love my Vitamix too! Nice for soup and sherbet... Yes it will turn food into hot soup! Yes it will turn frozen fruit into sherbet!
    With the dry cup you can grind your own flour with triticale, whole wheat, and other great grains... Cuts cost of buying expensive breads and tortillas with high fiber! You can make your own from scratch! Homemade peanut butter and almond butter! The list goes on and on. Haven't found a food that it can't handle!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Definitely Vitamix. I don't know how I survived without it! I bought mine at a Costco demo - had been watching prices and I got it about $50 cheaper by buying it there. The smoothies are so nice and creamy. You could probably blend concrete into a smoothie (wouldn't recommend trying that one)!!! I've also used it to make cream of broccoli soup and clam chowder using a cauliflower base that totally fooled my family - there was not a cauliflower bit to be seen! Cleanup is so easy, too. Just add water and a few drops of liquid dish washing soap and whir for a few seconds. I've tried getting by with the cheap blenders - you get what you pay for. I know I have 2 useless blenders sitting around now...
  • Eat2Win
    Options
    Wow, I really love what I'm reading here, thanks so much and learning too about making your own flour....nice.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My blender (Hamilton Beach Wavestation) does fine with smoothies and anything with enough liquid, but thicker drinks? Frustrating as heck. It gets the job done with a bit of shaking and stirring. Vitamix is definitely my dream.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Vitamix. I'm a very frugal person, but after seeing how long my parents have had their Vitamix and how great it has worked and held up, it swayed me to bite the bullet and get one of my own. Use a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond... knocks down the price a little and they have a great return policy :)
  • nicholegerber
    Options
    We currently use a ninja blender, it works for everything we need it for. Some friends of ours have a vitamix, which is awesome, but i refuse to fork out that much cash for a blender just yet. I believe we payed around 100-120.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have a Ninja (that I bought from Costco). It works awesome, the blades are not only at the bottom but they run the length of the blender. The kit I bought had the belnder, food processor, dough blade and stand and a mixing paddle for a little over $100.
    I did break the food prossesor blades on mexican chocolate (super hard chocolate) and costco replaced everything at no charge.
  • gp72dpr
    gp72dpr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Agree with BrendaLee...I have an ordinary blender and it works fine. I use frozen fruit. 2 cups of mixed fruit, which includes raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, 1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup of juice and 1 bananna.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yet another Vitamix vote! I use mine all the time. I was a poor grad student when I got it, but it's been proven to be worth it! Nothing compares.
  • theORIGINALelectra89
    Options
    Orange and carrot smoothies are great, i drink them :drinker:
  • SlimDown4Good
    Options
    I use the Nutribullet - bought at Kohls w/ coupon - less than $100.00

Works great for me! I have been having 2 blended drinks a day and love it.

Apple Pie smoothie in the AM is like having dessert :)

1 gala apple
    5 almonds
    6 oz nonfat yogurt
    1/4 teas cinnamon
    1/2 cup skim milk --- put all in Nutribullet for 40 seconds

Go to Youtube and search Nutribullet and Vitamix - The Vitamix is heavy duty and will do a finer job but from what I saw there wasnt that much of a difference for me to spend the extra hundreds of dollars on the Vitamix. Saving that dough for skinny clothes! LOL
  • kcta1181
    kcta1181 Posts: 1
    Options
    When I was deciding it came down to Vitamix and Blendtech, in the end I opted for the blendtech just because the Vitamix is really tall and slightly more expensive. I love the Blendtech but if had more counter space and height between the cabinet I'd probably go with Vitamix. These blenders are pricier but they are worth it especially if you get them at Costco (Price & Return Guarantee).

If you are looking for something more budget friendly but still powerful I have heard the Ninja blenders are pretty good.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. Get the Vitamix. Initially my hubby wanted it and I said "there's no way I'm spending more than $400 on a glorified blender" so I got the Ninja one that they say is as good as the vitamix but without the hefty price tag. Well I bought the Ninja top of the line with all the extras but returned it to the store and told them it didn't do all that it promised plus after a few uses it just made a lot of noise. Long story short, broke down and bought the Vitamix and it was money well invested. Green smothies does a great job and you get all the fiber that you don't get with the juicing. Does awesome on tomatoe soup, nice and creamy without adding cream to the soup.
  • Thunderthighs131
    Thunderthighs131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yet another vote for the Vitamix.

I went back and forth for a few years on whether I really wanted to spend that much money on a blender. I finally broke down and bought it last year. It's been almost a year and I absolutely love it! I got mine on QVC with 4 easy payments. Made it much easier for me than shelling out all that money all at one time. (Jedi mind trick because I still spent the money anyway, whether or not it was all at once.)

Anyway, what really pushed me into the purchase was that they appear to be high quality items that last a long time. I think more than ever, that made me feel that I would be getting my money's worth.

Good luck with whatever blender you choose!