How do you stay under on sugar ???

Options
Hi I am always going over on my sugar its set at 24, Its not n chocolate or sweets.

How can I stay under or is it realy bad If go over, today im 20 over.

Any help welcome

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to track/manage sugar? If not, I wouldn't bother tracking it at all. Assuming a reasonably normal diet, tracking sugar just overcomplicates things for most people.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to track/manage sugar? If not, I wouldn't bother tracking it at all. Assuming a reasonably normal diet, tracking sugar just overcomplicates things for most people.

Exactly right.
  • drillfork
    Options
    The default setting for sugar really is absurdly low. It seems to be based on the World Health Organisation's recommendation that no more than 10% of calories should come from ADDED sugar. But that's just supposed to be added sugar, not natural sugars. So it does not include sugar found naturally in fruit and vegetables or lactose in milk.

Opinion on how much natural sugar to have is divided; some might suggest a limit and others might see no reason to track it or total sugar at all. I would think a reasonable limit is at the very least 10% of calories again, so you could double the sugar allowance right away. You could also ignore it, within reason.
  • shelley234
    shelley234 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Hi no no medical reason, just going by MFP thank you i wont worry abou it as most off it is fruit or now and again a sugar in my coffee.
  • shelley234
    shelley234 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The default setting for sugar really is absurdly low. It seems to be based on the World Health Organisation's recommendation that no more than 10% of calories should come from ADDED sugar. But that's just supposed to be added sugar, not natural sugars. So it does not include sugar found naturally in fruit and vegetables or lactose in milk.

Opinion on how much natural sugar to have is divided; some might suggest a limit and others might see no reason to track it or total sugar at all. I would think a reasonable limit is at the very least 10% of calories again, so you could double the sugar allowance right away. You could also ignore it, within reason.

I assumed it was a bit off as most off my sugar is natuaral like fruit. thanks
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, the recommended allowance for women is no more than 100 calories of sugar a day, which they say is around
    6 tsp. of sugar, and I just looked it up to be sure they meant added sugars, not the sugars naturally in your foods. I am sure if your careful about your sugar, your fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Pretty much this^^^. That sugar setting is namely for added/refined sugar. As others have said, dont' worry about it if you don't have a medical condition.

Most of my sugar consumption is berries, and apple a day, and veg and I'm always well over eating those natural, whole, healthy foods.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    FYI, as a diabetic I eat no sugar whatsoever, yet MFP tells me I've already had 14g ...

That because of cheese and two servings (1/2c each) of strawberries and blackberries. Considering the berries are quite high in fiber and very low-glycemic, I'm not really going to worry about it.

I find most of MFP's suggestions for calories and macros pretty messed up, really.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always go over on the sugar mfp has listed for me. I eat several servings of fruit a day.