Getting older and dealing with body changes (20s to 30s)

Options

Replies

• nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 in September. The main thing that changed over the decade (subtly each and every day) was my mindset. I am more confident in general but I also do NOT sweat the small stuff anymore. 3 decades have given me a good idea of myself and "Mikey, I think she likes it" ;)

It did seem to me that I was burning calories at the speed of light in my early twenties but that's not really true. I did eat alot but I was more active, always doing and in something and that probably contributed to that thought that I was "losing weight without trying" thing. I still look the same (in my face) basically and now I'm just trying to get as healthy and strong as I was before. I think my 30s are going to be the best decade yet.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I am 41 and look younger than I have in 10 years in my opinion.

taking care of yourself is like the fountain of youth

^^^^^^ This, Im 43.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 in October and also had a rough time with it. I cant really answer if anything has changed because i am now in the best shape ive ever been in but that is not age related either way. Good luck. I hope you adjust to the big 3-0 well :)
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and am probably in the best shape of my life. Maybe not as 'big' as I was when I was in my 20's/30's, but better overall.

I'm not as dumb as I was back in the day... More wise about nutrition, etc.

Although, my wife still thinks I act like I'm 12 years old... but she's a big doodoo head.

(btw, my wife is 42 and just keeps getting better looking... It's spooky :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So I'm turning 30 this year and I know it's just a number but I'm kinda sad about it! I was wondering if you've noticed any significant changes in your body good or bad compared to when you were in your early 20s. I'm looking at people in their mid 30s who inspire me like Jillian Michaels and that keeps my head up. I've always been the one that never wanted to grow up even as a kid and its kinda getting to me now :/

I should add, I do not have any kids and the only change I've noticed getting older is that I can't eat as much junk as I used to when I was a teenager to 23. Maybe my metabolism has slowed a bit. Thanks for your time :)

I'm 54.....been working out like a beast until I hit about 46. Then I noticed some changes in my body as far as recovery time and flexibility. I may have to pace myself more now, treat my body a bit kinder but I still consider myself to be in great shape. 30 years old....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .......that's a kid!!!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh just wait ladies 40 is right down the street and I do mean down!!! :sad:

This made me laugh!! I've been working hard to get fit now that I'm over 40 and it's definintely harder... I'm mostly out of shape though because of a 10-lb baby at 38!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I noticed no change at 30, a bit of change at 35, and 40 has been a brutal kick in the *kitten*.

Elaborate? (afraid)

lol.

I definitely can't eat as much now. The change at 35 was pretty marginal, but the change at 40 has been very significant. I gained 20lbs between August and January. While I was indulging a bit, I didn't think I was indulging that much!

My face has changed. I noticed it back in the fall, but it is really obvious to me now. I can't put my finger on it, but my face is different. I can't colour my hair as dark any more, and I've had to change the way I do my make-up. I wound up in the M.A.C. store in tears two weeks ago, begging for help. The colours the artist chose for me were completely different than what the last artist chose for me 5 years ago.

To quote hubby, before I changed my make-up, "You look like Commander Data." (Google "Commander Data" if you're not familiar with Star Trek). It was so weird the way that happened, seemingly overnight!

I've always had issues with acne, but they were pretty mild. Now, I get deep cystic acne on my face. OMG it is terrible. Just horrible.

Oh, and the hot flashes are great fun. :grumble: One of our project mangers told me "I'm not going to be a slave to your hormones" when I asked him to turn down the temperature a little. My sweater goes on and off all day. And, the night sweats have started. :sad:

I'm sure I'll get used to this. The changes actually started to become noticeable six months before I turned 40.

Aw, appreciate your going deep to explain :)

I know what you mean about changes in skin complexion and texture, and standby makeup all of a sudden not working. I've had to eliminate anything with a muddy or dusty undertone, and learn to love (and use) brighter neutrals. Mascara AND eyeliner are mandatory now, I look sick without them. Let's not talk about why that is, it's depressing.

And yup also re hormonal acne (but, there are some really great prescription topicals that can help - I've had luck with the help of an awesome derm).

I've witnessed the effects of hot flashes.. you have my sympathy, doesn't look fun :(
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yup. Just turned 30 this year and my hair has really thinned out and it's more brittle and my skin is a lot drier.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and while I love my body there are definitely some things that change. My breasts aren't quite what I remember them being at 25 and I have dry elbow skin and I'm beginning to get a little gray hair. I pull it all out but one day I'll have to stop doing that. :) Staying in shape doesn't seem more difficult to me but I know it is for a lot of people. But there are a TON of amazing things that happen in your thirties too.. for instance, I've never been happier, felt more confident, beautiful or secure in my entire life. I LOVE my thirties and I'll take the cons that come with these amazing pros any day!
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and look younger than I have in 10 years in my opinion.

taking care of yourself is like the fountain of youth

^^^^^^ This, Im 43.

^^^^^ This, I will be 42 next month and feel and look better than I did when I was in my 30's!! Also still get hit on by boys in their 20's..lol!!! Age is just a number!! Go on how you feel and what works for you!!! Here is some advice for great looking wrinkle free skin.....Drink tons of water and use plenty of sun screen!!! :drinker:
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 years old and I feel and look better now than I did in my 30's. Sure I have wrinkles and certain areas on my body have changed, but it's all about how you take care of yourself. I am the oldest of 6 children and probably the healhiest. The key is don't smoke, eat clean, exercise and get plenty of sleep, and try to avoid excessive stress. Age is also a state of mind. If you think that 30 is old then you are in for a big surprise. Enjoy life and don't focus on numbers.
    Lisa
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 last September and while I've noticed more aches and pains (in general), I am in much better health than I was in my 20's...mostly because I've stopped eating fast food and ordering out all the time and exercise (when I can). I am actually smaller now than I was on my 20th birthday...
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I turned 30 this year too.. WOop woop.. and i have to say.. im very surprised.. that I feal i have more energy now than i did in my 20's. I have two kid... 5 and 1.5 .. I love keeping up with them. ITs not easy but in my 20's i was kinda lazy..

i also like my self so much more now then before. I love the way i feal and wouldn change it . :flowerforyou:
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend!! Don't be sad. Embrace your 30's. I am going to be 42 and I am in better shape than I was in my 20's.

The only thing you need to remember is work out, eat right and moisturize.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    1.Training: Ive seen a decrease in the total loads I can move largely due to cumulative injuries from Grappling.
    2. Carbs: I cant get away with nearly as many and get into the single digit bodyfat% as in times a past.
    3. Alcohol: disrupts my whole game the following day.
    4. I will have abs, like real abs and not one line in some funky bathroom lighting, but still have lower back fat.
    5. I can eat and train more instinctively than ever before and thats awesome.
    6. LoL, I get way hotter younger girls trying to get at me knowing damn well Im 10-15 years older than them.....
    7.Cardio choices are made based on shoulder and knee pain. Weight vest and stairs vs Nordic track Vs kettlebell vs mma intervals....
    8. Your brain changes. The desire to "cheat" is never. Cheat on what? who? If you were fat for any appreciable amount of time, youd been cheating for years. Wth is a "cheat" for? Your mental fortitude should have caught up with you body by 30.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I am someone that has always been extremely fit. I have been a professional dancer for a long time. So, yes, I do find that as I get older (I'm 35) I need to work harder to maintain my levels of fitness and ability (that is simply the way it is for dancers or athletes). Becoming more committed to weights, has been the best choice to help with maintaining my fitness as I get older (counting calories helps a lot as well). I am a mother of 2 (so that certainly adds to things a bit, having gone through that whole process twice). But, I am in excellent shape and very happy. I'm sure I will face more changes as I get older, but I'll deal with those when I get there (that's why I am being pro-active now).
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey Kim! I just turned 30 this past November. I would say first that I'm in the best shape of my life... With that said I have noticed that my knees and lower back does give me pain sometimes. I also can't eat a lot of junk, just like you, without feeling nauseous. I can't stay up as late as I use to and I've developed these small red spots on my breasts which my doctor told me is completely normal for women in their 30s. I will say the bright side about this decade is that you done with the BS that you thought made your 20s so fun and you're ready for real life and what it has to offer!
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm not in my 20's or 30's, but I'm 51 and I'm in better shape, but not as thin as I was in my 20's. I've been told that I look much younger than I am and that's cool. I'm happier, stronger physically, set financially, my kids are grown, I don't have to work and I do what I want, when I want. Life gets better as you age. Don't fear it! It beats the alternative, death. Being vain will get you no where, it'll just turn your face to plastic. Eat healthy foods, don't smoke, keep busy and move a lot, preferably outside. Eat chocolate and have some wine, in moderation of course. Also, do something, anything, you love, every single day, for YOU.

Sounds like the good life!!! :)
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Oh just wait ladies 40 is right down the street and I do mean down!!! :sad:

Seriously! I had to laugh at the body changes at 20's to 30's...those are the good years for your body!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wait till 40