New Running Shoes - How Soon?

Options
How long does it take to break in new running shoes? I bought mine last Memorial Day weekend so I'm due for some new ones. My first race (a 5 mile marathon relay) is on May 19th. How soon before that should I look at buying my new shoes?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to break the last pair in? Everyone is different, I've always gotten shoes that are perfect for my feet that I've never really had to take much time to break them in.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    10-20 miles personally.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    The last pair I bought were Asics and I didn't need to break them in at all.
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    Depends on the shoe. I bought a pair the day before a 10K and they were fine. Most good running shoes should be race ready when you buy them.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    On my 2nd pair of Mizuno's and I didn't need a break in period for either one. As mentioned - great shoes probably won't need it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want a new color! Just kidding. I wear Sauconys and replace them about every 9-12 months. I am not a serious runner/marathoner. The couple of people at work who are replace theirs every 3-6 months.

I never have to break them in when I buy them.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like mine brand new, but I would never race in them without at least 3 weeks under my belt.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    wear them at least once to make sure there are no funny spots or problem areas....I just switched from asics to brooks and I'm thrilled!
  • Iwillrunagain
    Options
    I have never had to "break in" shoes, I would suggest that if you do, perhaps you are in the wrong shoe? Have you tried going to a running store where they fit you for shoes based on your gate?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to break the last pair in? Everyone is different, I've always gotten shoes that are perfect for my feet that I've never really had to take much time to break them in.

This. When shoes fit right, there is virtually no break-in period.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My brooks were "race ready" I ran 6 miles with them the day after I got them. I love them but it's time for a new pair :(
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    My mizunos felt awesome right from the beginning. I am actually sad that I will need to replace them soon-ish.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I wear Sauconys and yes, I went to a running store and was fitted for them. They were great for me right out of the gate, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I try my first 5 mile race in new ones. I've stuck to 5ks since I started running year. I will go to a running store and get fitted again this time as well.
  • AllyTheguineapig
    Options
    The last pair I bought were Asics and I didn't need to break them in at all.

Same here.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can break in a good pair (that works for my feet b/c I go to the running shop where they really work with you on choosing) very quickly. It's the ones you buy off the shelf that take some breaking in to see if you're a good match.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you have the right shoe, you don't need to break them in! I replace mine after about 250-300 miles.
  • jwestonlee
    Options
    First, you should not have to break in a pair of good running shoes. However, never run a race in a brand new pair of shoes. Take them out for a run at least once to make sure there's not some irritating defect that could ruin your race day.

I've been running for years and almost always buy new shoes around the 200 mile mark. But I know a lot of runners that go 300 - 500 miles before chainging them out. It really depends on what kind of running your doing (fast, short distance, long slower, terrain, weather, etc..). I usually keep at least 3 pairs of runners that are in a rotation so I have a shoe for the type of run I want to do.

I use my Nike Pegasus for treadmill and short interval runs. They work great and feel great. However, for anything over 5-8 miles I use either my ASICS or my Saucony shoes - true runners shoes. The ASICS and Saucony's have much better cushioning which helps with knee and hip pain over the long haul. The Nike's are a bit lighter and definitely brighter. You gotta have color options right?

Also - if you're going to buy new shoes, it's always a good idea to pick up a decent pair of running socks. Your feet will thank you.