Eating under calories

Options
Hello all,

I find that i always eat under the calories that are allocated and never eat back any calories i get from excersize. i just don't feel the need. i am not hungry. But i havent really changed the way im eating and i have been the same size and weight my whole adult life. this means 10 years. I dont understand.

can anyone help me out with suggestions?? also is it true that i really shouldn't eat for 3 hours before bed?? i find that if i do that i go to bed with a growling stomache.

Any help would be appreciated. i have made my food diary public so that people might be able to suggest what i can do differently. i have not been on the site for very long. that is why i stressed that i eat the way my diary shows as a norm in my life.

Thanks
Jen

Replies

• KikiG1991
    KikiG1991 Posts: 27
    Options
    everywhere i've read (which i've done a lot of research) does say no food three hours before bed. it makes sense, since we burn off our cals, and get a clean slate in the morning. i would guess it interferes with that body's plan and makes the fat stick easier? i dont remember the real reason but it does make sense :drinker: i just drink water if i get hungry before bed. or even chew gum if i have to :bigsmile:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I always eat at night, but as far as exercise calories I wouldnt eat them back unless I was under 1200 net for the day.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I took a glance at your diary and your sugar is very high most days. Also, you're not tracking protein, but that looks as if it may be under as well.

I find it very difficult to lose weight if my sugar is too high, even from fruit and milk sources.

There is actually opinion that the whole "don't eat before bed" is not true. If going to bed hungry prevents you from sleeping, have a light snack with protein.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I agree...perhaps try reducing your sugar and upping your protein.
  • akoalafreak
    Options
    I have the same problem, I go to bed fairly late at night so the hours between 8pm and midnight are LONG and very tough not to eat. I go to bed with my stomach growling some nights and it's hard to get to sleep, but I have found that if I am tempted to snack, if I brush my teeth it does tend to help curb that hunger. Otherwise maybe eat something with protein and not a lot of sugar, like a hard-boiled egg or something.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just glancing @ the last few days..it seems like you are going over you're sugar everyday and I honestly think you aren't eating enough.
    Protein is a key to my program..it keeps me satisfied for a long time and when I eat lean protein with wholegrain/fruit my blood sugar doesn't spike so I don't crave more sugars.
    I can't eat large portions anymore so I'm very careful to eat enough calories..but in a healthy way. I'm not perfect but I get 1200 minimum..I would see what would happen if you ate to your cal limit...but with less sugar. That maybe could help
  • Trainhard911
    Trainhard911 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Carbs may be playing a role in it too, basically you need enough protein to sustain any new muscle and recover (about 1 gram per lb of body weight) and if you have too many carbs in the diet basically any extra carbs or stored carbs will be used first before your body attacks the fat. Before and After exercise is a great time to eat protein as your muscles use it right away. You need carbs in the diet for energy but as others suggested you may be eating the wrong kind. Those found in fruits have a ton of sugar which breakdown into fat and its best to eat your carbs in the morning and afternoon and limit all carbs at 6:00pm, salad would be okay or green veggies but the bulk of good carbs should be at breakfast and lunch (i.e. oatmeal, whole grain bread/rice, sweet potato) Also whenever you do choose to have a carb it should be combined with protein of some sort, your body can't break down the carb alone. You can always eat protein solo but never the carbs. This means applesauce, fruits, grains, veggies, etc. hope this helps.

Aim at burning 250 + a day and doing different workouts week to week. your body gets used to your routine easyily, changing it up allows the body to change and guess
  • jenibookworm
    Options
    Thank you everybody. i had a strong feeling that it was the sugars in my diet. i will work harder to keep those in check.
  • marsha73
    marsha73 Posts: 23
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Looks like your sugars are high on a regular basis
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    Are you drinking about least 8 cups of water a day? I found that I tend to lose more when I drink at least 9-10 cups of water a day.

879845.png
  • moreveggiesplease
    Options
    I've always been a night eater, too. But I have noticed when I stay away from nibbling at night, I have better weight loss.