Should you change what you are eating from day to day?

Options
beckysiz
beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
My partner isn't losing weight as fast as one would think. She has lost 15 pounds in about 3.5 months and she is more than 100 overweight. I used IPOARM for us. I am losing fat and weight and she is too, but slower than me and she has WAY more weight to lose than I do.

The trainer at the gym told her that she should switch up what she is eating each day because she eats the same stuff a lot. If you are eating within your cals and macros does it matter what you eat?

Replies

• lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My diet is, I would say, varied but not. I have a bunch of things I eat for breakfast but I guess they'rekind og all the sae (whole wheat bread, oatmeal, egg whites, fruit, milk), lunch is usually raw veg + dinner leftovers. Dinner can be pretty varied, we like to cook. I do make a big deal about trying to keep my macros consistant though.

Food for thought - I'm intersted in what others have to say?
  • beckysiz
    Options
    we eat all sorts of things for dinner, but her breakfast and lunch choices tend to be the same foods since she works in a kitchen (her job allows the employees to eat free) and tries to go for the healthiest foods.She is allergic to most raw fruits and veggies so it makes it more difficult...

I didn't think it really mattered what you ate as long as you don't go over macros.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should matter either as long as it's healthy, doesn't have a lot of sodium etc.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I have a menu for my self with about 5 options for each meal, so I try to stick with that.

I find it easier to plan ahead.
  • weightingtobloom
    weightingtobloom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the actual food items, but I find that changing up my daily calorie allowance helps. I think it's called calorie shifting and it helps trick your metabolism into staying faster. It could be that she has been eating the same amount of calories for long enough that her body has adjusted to function on that number. I like to set my calorie goal, then switch up the days of the week so that they average out to be that amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    we eat all sorts of things for dinner, but her breakfast and lunch choices tend to be the same foods since she works in a kitchen (her job allows the employees to eat free) and tries to go for the healthiest foods.She is allergic to most raw fruits and veggies so it makes it more difficult...

I didn't think it really mattered what you ate as long as you don't go over macros.

I don't think it matters...I eat pretty much eat the same breakfast daily...same snacks...lunches and dinners vary, but tend to be a rotation of the same stuff.

Generally speaking, when I see this, there are a couple of things to consider...

1.) Metabolism may be slower than the average person of same stats. This could be due to a medical condition, medication, or just generally slower metabolism.

2.) Calorie creep...there are numerous studies out there that indicate that people who calorie count routinely under estimate their consumption and over estimate their burn. Also, a lot of calorie creep can happen if you don't weigh and measure your foods/portions...especially with calorie dense foods like nuts, etc...very easy to go over on calories when you don't weigh and measure.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Which veggies is she allergic to?
  • beckysiz
    Options
    Which veggies is she allergic to?

she's allergic to:

potatoes
    carrots- all root veggies
    celery
    apples
    pears
    peaches
    nectarines
    raw almonds/nuts

this is what we know of anyway. As long as the above are cooked she is ok, it's only in the raw state that she has a problem.
  • beckysiz
    Options

I don't think it matters...I eat pretty much eat the same breakfast daily...same snacks...lunches and dinners vary, but tend to be a rotation of the same stuff.

Generally speaking, when I see this, there are a couple of things to consider...

1.) Metabolism may be slower than the average person of same stats. This could be due to a medical condition, medication, or just generally slower metabolism.

2.) Calorie creep...there are numerous studies out there that indicate that people who calorie count routinely under estimate their consumption and over estimate their burn. Also, a lot of calorie creep can happen if you don't weigh and measure your foods/portions...especially with calorie dense foods like nuts, etc...very easy to go over on calories when you don't weigh and measure.

I am thinking that she must have a really slow metabolism or maybe a thyroid issue? Back in 2008 she was watching what she ate and dropped 30 pounds in like 6-8 weeks.

She has her calories set to, 2200, 30% than TDEE and eats 500 extra on workout days.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I am thinking that she must have a really slow metabolism or maybe a thyroid issue? Back in 2008 she was watching what she ate and dropped 30 pounds in like 6-8 weeks.

She has her calories set to, 2200, 30% than TDEE and eats 500 extra on workout days.

It seems likely to me that she simply needs to reduce caloric intake a bit further if her losses are not going at a reasonable pace.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Maybe tell her to quit eating her workout calories (I'm guessing 500 is all of them), unless she is training for the Olympics
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i tend to change up what i eat day to day, but only because i get bored eating the same things all the time. it shouldnt matter as far as weight loss goes.

Maybe tell her to quit eating her workout calories (I'm guessing 500 is all of them), unless she is training for the Olympics
    that was going to be my suggestion - usually with tdee-xx% you dont eat back exercise calories, because they are included in the TDEE figure.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I lose weight better when I eat the same breakfast/lunch each day. Helps me keep focused. I agree with the others that it may be helpful to reassess the calories/exercise calorie limits and perhaps lower them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    One of the best things about systematic eating is that you have a consistent calorie count per day. Takes the thinking out of it too. Drawback is the monotony.

As long as you're getting the correct macro/micro nutrients per day and within calorie limits, it shouldn't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Seriousy? For 1 not all calories a lee created equal , someone who eats health and keeps their macros in check can eat whatever they want / keeping in mind they are healthy eaters, but if the calories consumed us composed of rubbish like all fats,bad carbs,lots of sugar, no protein thren no matter what you eat even within staying under your calories is going to obviously cause issues with your diet, learn how to eat healthy and know how to ballance your macros is definitely beneficial.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i tend to change up what i eat day to day, but only because i get bored eating the same things all the time. it shouldnt matter as far as weight loss goes.

that was going to be my suggestion - usually with tdee-xx% you dont eat back exercise calories, because they are included in the TDEE figure.

Good catch....I didn't catch that initially at all..

You do not eat back exercise calories using the TDEE method; you do eat them back with the MFP method. Two completely different methods of calculating calorie allowance OP.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about changing your calorie intake day by day. As for eating a variety of foods, that is important for health because you get a better coverage of micronutrients, but if she is considerably overweight then losing that weight is by far the priority (for health reasons).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Seriousy? For 1 not all calories a lee created equal , someone who eats health and keeps their macros in check can eat whatever they want / keeping in mind they are healthy eaters, but if the calories consumed us composed of rubbish like all fats,bad carbs,lots of sugar, no protein thren no matter what you eat even within staying under your calories is going to obviously cause issues with your diet, learn how to eat healthy and know how to ballance your macros is definitely beneficial.

Exactly - between this and the eating back calories, this is what I'd say the problem is. I'm guessing the complimentary food from the restaurant isn't nearly as nutritious as something that could be made at home with healthier substitutions. What you see is never what you get at a restaurant.
  • beckysiz
    Options

Exactly - between this and the eating back calories, this is what I'd say the problem is. I'm guessing the complimentary food from the restaurant isn't nearly as nutritious as something that could be made at home with healthier substitutions. What you see is never what you get at a restaurant.

Ok, so the reason she eats more on workout days is because her TDEE is 3348. I read that if you are morbidly obsese you can reduce 30%, but that it's better to do 20% so I figured allowing her more calories on work out days would be a good thing. Maybe that's not a good idea.

She does eat healthy at work; she prepares all her own foods and eats mostly salads and wraps; the wraps she brings from home because the ones they carry are not healthy at all. I am thinking that maybe she does need to lower her caloric intake even though it's not recommended. If her metabolism is slow she would need less, right? Or no?

I just don't want her to give up or get discouraged because she is working so hard and seeing very little results. I even asked her if she was being 100% honest with her food diary or maybe she is underestimating her calories; she swears she isn't. She works really hard at the gym and I see it. I can see the fat loss on her, but with her being so big you would think the scale would be moving a bit faster.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Ok, so the reason she eats more on workout days is because her TDEE is 3348. I read that if you are morbidly obsese you can reduce 30%, but that it's better to do 20% so I figured allowing her more calories on work out days would be a good thing. Maybe that's not a good idea.

She does eat healthy at work; she prepares all her own foods and eats mostly salads and wraps; the wraps she brings from home because the ones they carry are not healthy at all. I am thinking that maybe she does need to lower her caloric intake even though it's not recommended. If her metabolism is slow she would need less, right? Or no?

I just don't want her to give up or get discouraged because she is working so hard and seeing very little results. I even asked her if she was being 100% honest with her food diary or maybe she is underestimating her calories; she swears she isn't. She works really hard at the gym and I see it. I can see the fat loss on her, but with her being so big you would think the scale would be moving a bit faster.

TDEE estimation devices are exactly that -- estimation devices.

If she is not losing at a reasonable pace, given this situation, I guarantee you she is just eating too many calories.

Reduce intake another 10% total, whether that's by eliminating exercise calories or whether that's a flat 10% each day. Reassess in two weeks and chop another 10% if needed.

She's eating too much.