Let's talk ZUMBA!!

Options
13»

Replies

• sushiforbrains
    Options
    Zumba is great! A friend introduced me to classes and I went at least once a week for awhile. The first class I thought I was going to die. But the great thing about Zumba is that you don't even need to be a good dancer (I am definitely not!), just so long as you are going the right direction during the moving around parts! And if your knees hurt? Wrap 'em up and take it easy. I haven't been able to go with my friend anymore (who is now an instructor!) but I got the Wii game and actually just got finished with a 20 minute "class"!

In short - DO IT!
  • andyswoman
    andyswoman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to buy it and try it! I hope I'm coordinated enough to learn the moves like I'm supposed to. Lol:blushing:
  • calivandewoestyne
    calivandewoestyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How are you logging Zumba in your exercise log? I do Zumba a couple times a week - and Im not sure how to count it in my log. Let me know! :smile:
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    I love Zumba! It is addictive especially if the teacher and music are good. I have knee and ankle injuries and I can't jump or do too many of the hops. I have modified and walk in place and do side-to-side steps instead of jumping and hopping. I'm not burning as many calories being in 'fully operational' mode, but I'm moving and sweating like crazy. Like others said before me, it doesn't feel like a workout, I can do it at home on YouTube or at the gym.
    I checked, there is no 'Zumba' specific to log on as exercise. It does have different types of dancing though, from ballroom, to aerobic. You decide what fits for you. Let me know what you are using! :)
  • NGrosch
    NGrosch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I love doing Zumba on the Kinect! We look ridiculous I'm sure, but it is so much fun and it is in the privacy of our living room so nobody sees us!! It really burns calories and it doesn't seem like exercise! I, too, have had knee and ankle problems, but as long as I don't overdo it, I am fine. If you use a video game system to do Zumba, it will tell you at the end of a "class" or song how many calories you have burned. Have fun!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight since Jan 7th - so almost 3 months, 29 lbs and I started with zumba, and dropped steady numbers doing it 6 days a week. I still do it 3 days a week and do other exercise the other three. I have the Wii game, xbox game and go to classes. They all give me a burn of 600-700 calories an hour.
  • mrsTravo9112
    mrsTravo9112 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, LOVE Zumba! But nothing beats the LIVE classes for me... I do believe that it depends on your fitness level also - we all start at different places. So if you are just starting out, it could be good.

My family has the Wii game & it is good, I found it BETTER than the DVD that i ordered after being up late one night.... I tried all the videos that came in the series & it did not justice to a LIVE class. Now, I've been to some LIVE class where the instructors were simply ok. BUT there are some that KILL IT EVERYTIME...

My husband & I call the class my Personal Flashdance (from the movie - ok... I'm getting old!) But when done correctly, it makes you feel fun & SEXY - there's not much out there that makes you sweat while grinding it out on the dance floor - so when done correctly is AWESOME!!!

Hoping you find what works for you... because of my work /school / family schedule, I can't attend LIVE class as often as i like, but right now I am doing the TurboFire & I LOVE IT! - set to music & burns like FIRE... they say the TurboJam is the pre-set for the series.

The best to YOU in your Journey to find what works... 8)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've done a class for charity and my wife has done it a couple of times. I didn't feel it got my heart rate up to do any decent burn and my wife doesn't rate at all compared to other classes like body pump, body attack etc.

I think you may not have had a good Zumba instructor or experience. They are not all energetic. My heart rate gets well into the 160's during my class and I burn around 500 calories. I think it is an excellent cardio workout. I lift weights 3 times a week but Zumba is my only cardio.
  • Glissenklw
    Glissenklw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba since January, twice a week for an hour each time. I have lost 36 pounds so far :) It is so much fun and the time flies by. I may get the Zumba core for my Wii soon and add some Zumba time at home in addition to the classes I attend. I highly suggest you try out a Zumba class, you will LOVE it and it is a great way to get in shape and drop the pounds. Also, I take my 3lb weights to Zumba and I use them during about half of the songs, so it adds in strength training and toning as well.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba on the xbox and it's a lot of fun and burn a TON of calories!!
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, but I agree with some of the other posters that nothing beats a real class. I have the official box set and I have Zumba for Wii. They are fun and pretty decent workouts, but live classes and just a total blast.

I will say that this video on youtube is one of my favorites for doing it at home:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!!! I go to a class 3x a week and Aqua Zumba once a week. I've also created a couple of Zumba playlists on Youtube for those days when I can't get to a class. REALLY fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!