Help! What is my "correct" BMR?

Options
I am so confused as to how many calories I need to eat to lose weight. I am 5'4" tall and currently weigh 250 lbs. I sit at a desk 40 hrs a week and walk most days for 30 min at approx 3.5 mph. I lost 10 lbs first two weeks eating 1200 calories a day but I have not lost anything since. Please someone help me figure this out before I give up!

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Using a standard formula, at 44yrs old, 250lbs and 64" tall your BMR is 1,825.

BMR doesn't change based on exercise or activity. It's what you'd need to survive and maintain weight if you were on 24/7 bedrest.

I like to have people use the formulas to get their "healthy weight" BMR, then ensure their caloric intake is somewhere around there to lose weight... + or - depending on exercise levels.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    BTW if you use a calculator like this one http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html you can get a good idea of your BMR at various weights as well as your TDEE, etc.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

BMR doesn't change based on exercise or activity. It's what you'd need to survive and maintain weight if you were on 24/7 bedrest.

I like to have people use the formulas to get their "healthy weight" BMR, then ensure their caloric intake is somewhere around there to lose weight... + or - depending on exercise levels.

Wrong: Your bmr does change with increased exercise and activity.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that BMR does not change with exercise/activity. If the exercise/activity leads to higher LBM, then of course, BMR would increase. TDEE does change with different levels of exercise/activity. BMR is basal metabolic rate which is independent of activity AFAIK.
  • Mads1997
    Options
    To make a blanket statement of your bmr does not change is wrong. Of course it increases. Mine has increased from 1525 to 1537 in a month. You are right it's due to increased lean muscle.
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    To make a blanket statement of your bmr does not change is wrong. Of course it increases. Mine has increased from 1525 to 1537 in a month. You are right it's due to increased lean muscle.
    how the heck did you get it sooooo accurate???
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A wonderful way to determine your BMR is via the BMR calculator on the Fat 2 Fit website (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/).

Give it a look in addition to the rest of their calculators and it will definitely help you figure out where you need to be.
  • Toadlily
    Toadlily Posts: 17
    Options
    A wonderful way to determine your BMR is via the BMR calculator on the Fat 2 Fit website (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/).

Give it a look in addition to the rest of their calculators and it will definitely help you figure out where you need to be.

i second this advice - fat2fit radio has great calculator tools - wonderful podcasts - and a great philosophy - eat and act like the healthy fit person you want to become. likely they would say you are eating too little for even your sedentary lifestyle. their calculators can also help you determine your weight goals. it's a great lifestyle.
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you and I will check out fat2fit!
  • Mads1997
    Options
    how the heck did you get it sooooo accurate???

well because I spend a lot of money each month to know what my body is doing.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Not true... Your BMR will change if your body composition changes and as you get older. Other than that it's pretty static.
    This is correct and I should have stated that BMR only changes if body composition does. If body composition remains the same, BMR also does (though it decreases with age).

RMR can change with a change in fitness without a change in body composition.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most universities with a decent kinesiology program will have the equipment to test BMR, V O2 max, and anaerobic power via wingate, some also have DEXA machines that tell exactly how many grams of lean muscle you have. Sometimes they will open their doors for the public for free for studies or for the students to practice using the equipment, or you can find out if they accept payment to do these tests.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Most universities with a decent kinesiology program will have the equipment to test BMR, V O2 max, and anaerobic power via wingate, some also have DEXA machines that tell exactly how many grams of lean muscle you have. Sometimes they will open their doors for the public for free for studies or for the students to practice using the equipment, or you can find out if they accept payment to do these tests.
    Quick fyi - they usually test RMR, not BMR. A true BMR test must be done while the subject is sleeping ...
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Quick fyi - they usually test RMR, not BMR. A true BMR test must be done while the subject is sleeping ...
    That is correct I forget to distinguish at times, but still there are some that will have the individual spend the night in the lab and conduct the testing. The only issue is finding one close, so asking for an RMR would be an easier option.