SUBWAY <3

Options
Hi! So, I, for one, love Subway, and I'll admit it haha. I usually get it after my dragonboat practices with my mom for dinner once a week, because it's a fast dinner that's close by, and we both hate eating too late in the day.
My favourite sandwich is probably a: 6 inch turkey breast with swiss cheese, on 9 grain wheat bread, with yellow mustard, banana peppers, cucumbers, jalapenos, lettuce, & tomato. (I usually get that!)
According to the site, the sandwich is:
-340 calories
-8g of fat
-46g carbs
-22g protein
So the calories are good (especially since I just finished a 60-90 minute dragonboat practice), I can live with the fat, but it seems like a lot of carbs? & more protein is always good. ;)
SO MY QUESTION for you lovely people: if you're a Subway fan, what's YOUR favourite sandwich? How do you make the healthiest sandwich? Or, do you just forget about it and enjoy Subway? Hahaha.
And if you DON'T like Subway, why not?
THANKS! :)

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I will forgive Subway eventually. But they have two strikes against them at the moment.

1.) I got food poisoning from a tuna sub there last summer. I don't blame all Subways for this, but it was not pleasant.

2.) After that, I went to Finland for several months The Subways there carry something marked "Nacho Cheese Doritos." These items are not Nacho Cheese Doritos. This was especially annoying because I walked past that Subway for months, lusting after those Doritos, before I finally decided to break down and forgive them for the tuna incident so I could get my chip fix.
  • prioritizinghealth
    prioritizinghealth Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    hahah aw sorry to hear that! give them another chance. :)

buuump
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    worked for jared, he is ripped
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    worked for jared, he is ripped

i laughed
    oh jared.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Carbs are fuel and friends. Eat up and enjoy!
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The ingredients are pretty crappy. Just look up what's in the breads.

Also their meats are processed from the unhealthiest animals on the planet.

They probably have a lot of GMO's floating around in their food. I don't know if you care but animals eat GMO feed and then you eat those animals. That load is yours to deal with now. It doesn't magically disappear before it gets to you.

The veggies are conventionally grown. They use a lot of veggies that rank high in pesticide load. The breads have a lot of pesticides too. GMO's, pesticides..... whaddayaknow! You're a walking science project!

You can try to justify the healthiness of Subway by showing the data (worked for Jared) but it's not healthy food. It's healthier than McDonalds but you should strive to eat as healthy as possible, not healthier than junk food.

You should make your own sandwiches instead of frequenting Subway. Even in a pinch I could go to a supermarket and buy all the ingredients for a better and healthier sandwich and put it together in my car.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options

They probably have a lot of GMO's floating around in their food. I don't know if you care but animals eat GMO feed and then you eat those animals. That load is yours to deal with now. It doesn't magically disappear before it gets to you.

The veggies are conventionally grown. They use a lot of veggies that rank high in pesticide load. The breads have a lot of pesticides too. GMO's, pesticides..... whaddayaknow! You're a walking science project!

You can try to justify the healthiness of Subway by showing the data (worked for Jared) but it's not healthy food. It's healthier than McDonalds but you should strive to eat as healthy as possible, not healthier than junk food.

You should make your own sandwiches instead of frequenting Subway. Even in a pinch I could go to a supermarket and buy all the ingredients for a better and healthier sandwich and put it together in my car.

OH NOES GMOS
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eh if I got overly worried about pesticides and chemicals, I wouldn't be able to eat. I have to admit that their cheese looks a bit sketchy but it doesnt bother me that much. I eat healthy otherwise. Subway is decent. I like Tim Hortons's sandwiches better though. The bread tastes better and isn't deflated.

My favourite is just a regular veggie. Whole wheat, cheese, toasted, lettuce, extra tomato, extra cucumber, black olives and salt and pepper. I've been a pescetarian for 5 years now. :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

This..... And the reson why I try and avoid as much processed ready-made and junk foods as possible. At least you know what meats you are getting if you have bought it for a good butcher!!
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Uh, guys. It's not like you eat subway every day. Enjoy the sandwiches and stop worrying so much.

Anyways... I like the 9 grain wheat with turkey breast and garnished with banana peppers, onions, lettuce, and some tomatoes >.<
    It's pretty satisfying baha.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I get a veggie delite on wheat, no cheese, sometimes toasted and sometimes not.
    Spinach (no lettuce)
    x2 tomatoes
    all the veggies minus banana peppers
    honey mustard sauce

Heavenly. Probably the lowest sodium option as well.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hate Subway because of their breads. They taste like cardboard-like crap to me. Nothing like a fresh roll from somewhere else.

The only good part of it is you can control the calories you are eating in a fast food environment and be under 500 calories for one meal. When me and my boyfriend drove from New York to Canada we brought some snacks but had to stop on the road for one meal and the only place I would agree to eat was Subway because I knew how may calories I would be eating.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It worked for Jared because:
    He was young, inactive, ate 10,000 calories a day, was in walking distance to his dorm, and was cutting edge at the time in that they put nutritional info all over the restaurant so he could calculate his calorie intake on the spot. We are doing the Jared diet here. Just expanded to encompass all sources of food, not just one place.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    subway isnt as friendly or "calorie friendly" as people think..
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Jared.. Dat der subway diet worksssssssssssssss
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    I didn't know Subway hate so many haters. :( hahaha.
    But I'm a teenager, I don't want to be stressing about GMOs and chemicals for every meal! I DO try to eat as healthy as possible, so I think if the only conventionally "unhealthy" option I eat during the week is a Subway sandwich (that still incorporates whole grains, veggies, etc) I'm doing pretty okay.

For all of you who posted your favourite sandwiches - they all sound so yummy! thanks <3
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway pretty regularly, though when I can I prefer a sub from an independent place. The sodium content in Subway is what really freaks me out. That said, my two favorites are

Subway club on whole wheat, with pepper jack, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, jalapenos and banana peppers, lite mayo, mustard, salt and pepper, and oregano. Or the veggie delight (sometimes the veggie patty, sometimes just the veggies) dressed the same way. Not as healthy as eating at home, healthier than the other options near to the campuses where I teach. It's a trade off.
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    yummy! banana peppers ... <3

buumpp