Lactose intolerant

Options
I am becoming more and more lactose intolerant. Right now it is just milk that gives me aches and pains in my stomach. I hear soy isnot good for you, what else is ther that tastes good, that is good for you. My other alternative would be no dairy at all. Please help!

Replies

• elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk. It is low calories and great in shakes.
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk as well. Yes, soy is bad for you; it's mucus causing (mucus in your intestines--not the "snot") and a laundry list of other bad things. Also, you can try goat milk-- the majority of the world chooses this milk to drink. I use butter, yogurt, and cheese all from goat milk-- it doesn't mess with my stomach like cow milk (I'm also VERY lactose intolerant). I only have a serving or two of dairy every other day.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You can buy lactose free milk... it's a little bit sweeter than regular, but none of the problems :)
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I use almond milk as well. Yes, soy is bad for you; it's mucus causing (mucus in your intestines--not the "snot") and a laundry list of other bad things. Also, you can try goat milk-- the majority of the world chooses this milk to drink. I use butter, yogurt, and cheese all from goat milk-- it doesn't mess with my stomach like cow milk (I'm also VERY lactose intolerant). I only have a serving or two of dairy every other day.

^^This. I am also lactose intolerent (cow's milk). Goat or sheep is fine. Although I consume it in very little quantities. Sometimes, I'll use an almond beverage in my cereal.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Non-fat lactose free, calcium enriched milk is awesome. Of course they have 1% and whole milk too.
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    almond milk is what i use.. If you need a protein powder i use carnivor and plant protein. works great daleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter is very very lactose intolerant. She likes the Deans Easy Brand of Lactose free milk or Lactaid. Or you could get Soy milk too and that is Lactose free. Or Almond Milk. Yoplait actually started making yogurts that are Lactose free too so those are cool. My daughter really likes those.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter is very very lactose intolerant. She likes the Deans Easy Brand of Lactose free milk or Lactaid. Or you could get Soy milk too and that is Lactose free. Or Almond Milk. Yoplait actually started making yogurts that are Lactose free too so those are cool. My daughter really likes those.

You just saved my yogurt-loving life!
    Can I kiss you?
    Would that be inappropriate?!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Almond milk or Coconut milk. Please stop using soy!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk. It is low calories and great in shakes.
    I'm not even lactose intolerant, but I made the switch to this because my wife is and I don't go through dairy milk fast enough.

I am partial to the President's Choice Organic Unsweetened Original, but there are others I like, too.

I put it on cereal and in smoothies, and I froth it up for the rare latte.

Edit: I also just tried a couple of the Amande almond yogurts recently. The raspberry is great! The blueberry is OK. I woulda never thought it possible to make yogurt out of nuts.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use Natrel 1% lactose free milk (I get it at Walmart - Canada). I find it tastes the same as regular milk and I get no issues :)

Milk and ice cream are all that bother me. I asked my doctor why cheese and yogurt wouldn't and apparently the bacteria content in them breaks down the lactose so it isn't as bad for some people. Thank goodness! I don't know what I would do without cheese!
  • AlanahLouise123
    Options
    Im lacto intolerant too i only found out about 4 months ago haha... I use all the lacto free products (like milk, cream cheese, butter etc) which are really nice. I cant tell the different from the normal products lol Hope this helps :)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you heard that "soy" isn't good for you?! Lots of people, myself included, use soy products on a daily basis & I haven't felt this great in years. I drink Silk soymilk the Original Lite, it's great! You can cook & bake & drink as is, it's just so versatile. My protein shake powder is vanilla, add that with the soymilk plus frozen berries & you have a wonderful power drink!

Don't believe everything you hear, check it out for yourself then make your own decision. I've heard about Almond milk but it's too rich for me so I'll stay with my Silk soymilk. :smile: :happy:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just make sure if you are going with a non-milk alternative to check the labels to see if it is fortified with calcium and in a few of them you can find vitamin D fortification.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose-intolerant, and am now having to cut out dairy altogether due to some other health issues. Fun!

I love almond milk. It's got a great taste, a great texture, and the calories are lower than cow's milk.

Personally, I stay as far away from soy as possible, because of the issues related to estrogen. I know some people enjoy soy products, and having a choice is a beautiful thing. If you're looking into soy products, just be sure to do your homework first (on both sides of the story) to make the decision that is best for you. Because I have endometriosis, my doctor told me stay AWAY from anything that messes with hormones, particularly soy and red meat. However, everyone's body is different.

BTW, Almond Breeze (I believe - might be Almond Dream) makes a great vanilla ice cream.
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm also lactose intolerant. Over the years I have played around with different products and I have found which dairy products I can tolerate (when I take a lactaid pill) and which I can't. It might just be me, but I have found that skim milk is much easier for me to digest then whole milk (again, with a lactaid pill). Most of Kraft cheese is lactose-free - double check the label, but most of the ones I like are lactose free.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you heard that "soy" isn't good for you?! Lots of people, myself included, use soy products on a daily basis & I haven't felt this great in years. I drink Silk soymilk the Original Lite, it's great! You can cook & bake & drink as is, it's just so versatile. My protein shake powder is vanilla, add that with the soymilk plus frozen berries & you have a wonderful power drink!

Don't believe everything you hear, check it out for yourself then make your own decision. I've heard about Almond milk but it's too rich for me so I'll stay with my Silk soymilk. :smile: :happy:

I can't do anything soy. It royally screws up my hormones. I've had a hysterectomy and my progesterone levels are too low. Soy has phytoestrogens and can aggravate symptoms of estrogen dominance.
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am dairy-free. If you give up dairy, there are a ton of products you can buy for the home. And eating out isn't so hard if you tell your server you have a dairy allergy. It's really not so hard once you get used to it. Plus, you'll feel better!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    almond milk FTW
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I was never really a big milk drinker. If I need something like milk, I use a bit of full fat coconut milk.