1100 calories?????????????????

Options
I know yall opened this thinking that I only eat 1100 calories! lol.. im not that dumb. but I do have a question.. I am doing stronglifts and trying to run on my "off nights " from it.. so heres the question, I eat 1500/1700 calories a day, I work all day 8 hours and chase a 1 yr old around .. so I basically work off 1500 easily.

Anyway.. I went running last night for a whole 20 minutes, sparatic running I should say, and I wore my hrm, it said that after I ran I burned 286 calories for that lil amount of time, well I kept it on even after I got home and at 1hour and 35 minutes, it shwed a burn of almost 600 calories! what I am asking is should I have increased the calories from yesterday? like on "running/jogging " days, increase to 1800? I came home and lifted weights (it was my standard lift day anyway) and it just blew my mind that I burned 600 caoleries in less then 2 hours!

the day I did this on, I ate 1530 calories and the scale didn't show a loss, obviously its almost TOM (due 2mar) .

?????????????????????

Replies

• chelseachelsea1991
    chelseachelsea1991 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, HRMs only work during exercise and aren't reliable for non-exercising time. Personally, I wouldn't rely on what its saying you burned when you weren't actually working out.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It could also be total gross calories and includes you BMR. What HRM do you have? I have a watch and it is total gross calories.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My head hurts
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It could also be total gross calories and includes you BMR. What HRM do you have? I have a watch and it is total gross calories.

sportline from walmart, its the watch and it cost 30 dollars.. S.O.B better be accurate!
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My head hurts

??????????????????????????????????
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Did you check your heart rate after you were done running? If not it was still using the workout heart rate.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My head hurts

LOL...mine too. But in response to the original question, I'd go by what MFP says on the estimates. MFP says you should go by what the machines say (because they usually factor in your weight, while MFP are average estimates), but I've found sometimes machine numbers can be a lot less or a lot more than MFP estimates. Go by what MFP says & if you are losing too fast (more than 2 lbs a week), then add in a couple of hundred calories. If you're not losing at all, then either cut the calories by a couple hundred or increase the workouts. But it doesn't sound like the latter would be the issue.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    HRM are not accurate to be worn all day. Only when you're actually working out. Also a $30 HRM is prbly not the most accurate. Does it have a chest strap?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hmmm you may be over thinking this a bit. I would just wear the HRM during actual exercise, log that figure and be done with it. All the rest is just part of our normal daily activities...we can't account for every single calorie burned within a day, at some point a line has to be drawn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only relatively accurate in calculating calories burned during an aerobic event...Polar models have been independently tested and show to be about 75% accurate. They are not accurate for anaerobic activity (like weight lifting) or just wearing around doing nothing.

Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream. HRMs are programmed with the assumption that a number of muscles cells will be working, as is the case when you run or do elliptical, or whatever...this is not the case when you're sitting around or when you weight train and focus on a singular muscle or muscle group.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    HRM's are only relatively accurate in calculating calories burned during an aerobic event...Polar models have been independently tested and show to be about 75% accurate. They are not accurate for anaerobic activity (like weight lifting) or just wearing around doing nothing.

Calorie burning isn't determined by heart rate, it's determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform a given activity. It's the working cells that actually use the energy (calories) and consume oxygen. When working muscle cells need more energy and oxygen, your heart rate goes up to deliver these things to the cells via the blood stream. HRMs are programmed with the assumption that a number of muscles cells will be working, as is the case when you run or do elliptical, or whatever...this is not the case when you're sitting around or when you weight train and focus on a singular muscle or muscle group.

This is the best explanation I have read on this issue. Now I get it. Thanks.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Good explanation. Thanks!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

sportline from walmart, its the watch and it cost 30 dollars.. S.O.B better be accurate!

Then it is gross and shows the toal calories burned all day. When I was tracking exercise calories I would manually make an adjustment like you see the fitbit or bodymedia does after I figured what my normal bum day was and subtracted that number. So for instance it shows after midnight 2,600 and you had put 500 as an exercise already and 2,000 was bum day calories I would add another 100 as calories burned. Or to log an exercise get the calories burned during the time spent 600 and figure what your baseline calories are and subtract those. But then your baseline awake is more than your baseline sleeping like 100 vs 60 per hour so simplified method is less 100 per hour for calories burned.

This can make someone head hurt.

I decided all that was too complicated in guesses my exercise calories and now I eat the same calories per day no matter what.
    I am using my actual TDEE minus 20-30%. I figure my actuals every four weeks using calories in plus pounds lostx3,500 and cut from that number. I started with 1,500 not knowing what to use and then went to 1,650 after losing 6 pounds in four weeks. This week will be my next four and I have lost another 5.5 so far so I will be bumping up again. Since changing the settings on my watch from medium to low the calorie number is very close to actual but the number of steps are lower.
    Hope this helps.

Sorry to everyone else's headaches.