Omlettes and Cholesterol? How to reduce Cholesterol?

Options
Hi all

I had an 2 egg omlette today and just realised when I put it into my food diary that there was 424 of cholesterol in it and I am shocked. I have now gone over my goal for cholesterol for the day. So I was just wondering what is so bad about eggs for cholesterol? Is is the yokes? Should I not have omlettes anymore? I though they were good for you....

What foods are big no no's then for cholesterol?

Thanks a mil

Replies

• Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    The cholesterol is located in the yoke of the egg...Make your Omlettes with just the whites. :-)
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol is in the yolk(s)

Make 'white' omelettes:

3 egg whites, 1 egg yolk. = 120 calories ~(200 cholesterol)
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options

Make 'white' omelettes:

Like how I can spell yolk! I'm glad someone can! :-)
  • excitementcity
    excitementcity Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    oooooh well now I know! Gosh I didn't realise how bad the yokes of eggs were for you! That's mad.....

Do you know any other foods that are big cholesterol no no's like eggs that you wouldn't think it?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

Make 'white' omelettes:

Like how I can spell yolk! I'm glad someone can! :-)

Yolks are like yokes around our necks and that's no yolk... :laugh:
  • water4life
    water4life Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use eggbeaters, it has 0 cholesterol, and it taste like really egg
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Use egg beaters ! Tastes like real eggs & NO CHOLESTEROL!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Along with eggbeaters, there is a product called All-White, which is 100% egg whites only - no additives, preservatives, anything. I'd highly recommend it. That's my biggest problem with eggbeaters - I don't want all the extra stuff they put in it. For omelets, I'll mix one whole egg ( I like a little bit of yolk...) with 1/2 to 3/4 a cup of egg whites, depending on how big of an omelet I want. Some stores have their own brands of All-White now, as well.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The whole egg is just so much better for you than egg whites alone. Research shows dietary cholesterol isn't really the enemy. Your genes are -- they control about 85% of your blood cholesterol levels. :frown: The dietary cholesterol you consume effects your blood cholesterol very little.

The yolk is where all the good eggy nutrients are. :wink:

Obviously if you have bad cholesterol levels to begin with, you don't want to exacerbate it by eating incredible amounts of dietary cholesterol. But if you have healthy cholesterol levels, there's not a huge need to concern yourself with the amount of cholesterol in healthy foods like whole eggs. :smile:
  • excitementcity
    Options
    Thank you all for all your help! I really appreciate it. Didn't know all this stuff before....

Never heard of egg beaters. Is this something that they just have in the supermarket.....will have to check them out for the future

thanks for you points too little spy didn't know that most of a person's cholesterol issues were inherited..
  • danazsweet
    danazsweet Posts: 52
    Options
    The whole egg is just so much better for you than egg whites alone. Research shows dietary cholesterol isn't really the enemy. Your genes are -- they control about 85% of your blood cholesterol levels. :frown: The dietary cholesterol you consume effects your blood cholesterol very little.

Your partially right... cholesterol isn't the enemy, but neither are your genes in most cases, actually the enemy is the oxidation of the cholestrol in the blood causing lipid peroxides (damaged cholestrol molecules) which damage the endothelium, the lining of the arteries... causing plaque buildup/blockages and hardening. If you eat a ton of fruits and vegetables that contain lots of antioxidants, they protect the cholesterol from damage thus rendering cholestrol harmless. 7-13 servings a day is what the NIH says we need everyday for protection from free radical damage.
  • excitementcity
    Options
    thanks a mil for that danzsweet. I'm a little confused though. What is the best way to reduce cholesterol then eat lots of fruit and veg....beacuse I was just looking at my food diary and the fruit I was having banana's and apples etc seem to be very high in sugar so now confused and not sure what to eat!!! if I get one thing down by eating one type of fruit another element seems to go up!

Don't know what to eat anymore!!!
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    it's a argument that goes all the way back to the 80's when a negative smear campaign left everyone confused and scared off of eggs for 20 years. But are eggs really bad for you? I know you're concerned about your cholesterol, we all should be. Cholesterol can be bad for you if you raise you lipid levels too high. Fatty red meats will do that, deep fried foods, processed snacks etc. But whats the difference between good Cholesterol and bad?

Just like everything with a Day Nutritional Value, your body needs cholesterol, but like everything else not too much of it. So how do we tell the difference? Bad Cholesterol is LDL (Low-Density Lipo-protein) Which is mostly found in fatty grease low nutrient food such as fast food and snack foods, the junk . Good Cholesterol is HDL (High-Density Lipo-protein) is found in Nuts, Avocados, Bananas, and eggs. This list of HDL foods are also know as "Super Foods" for their high levels of vitamins and minerals, and well as their concentration of proteins and good saturated fats (Mono and Poly) which help break down the sodium and saturated fats you consume during the day.

But don't take my word for it, I would prefer you make your own decision. Here are a few articles that may help you better understand Cholesterol and dietary nutrition.

Eggs are good for you?
    http://www.thedietchannel.com/Eggs-Are-Good-For-You.htm

Good and Bad Cholesterol
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=180

What are Super Foods?
    http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Are-Superfoods?&id=328926

Knowledge is power, so I hope these articles help! Oh and don't beat yourself up about an omelette. You're doing great KEEP IT UP!!!
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh and Oats will lower Cholesterol DRAMATICALLY, as a matter of of fact a synthesized version of a protein strained isolated from oats is found in the 3 leading Lipid medications. So why go to a doctor when Quaker has been here for over 100 years! lol! :tongue:

And Dana is right, free radicals are the biggest cause of health problems scientific evidence also shows that if we learn to harness antioxidants we may be able to one day extend life well into the hundreds. Grapes, Citrus fruits, spinach, and other dark greens are high in antioxidants, so munch away! :smile:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    better than omitting the yolk which can have a lot of really great nutrients, try incorporating extra greens like kale, chard or spinach into the omelet.

kale and eggs are an old-time standard. we eat them often... we had chard and potatoes with eggs today, in fact.

don't throw the baby out with the bathwater... and buy farm-fresh if possible.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Your partially right... cholesterol isn't the enemy, but neither are your genes in most cases, actually the enemy is the oxidation of the cholestrol in the blood causing lipid peroxides (damaged cholestrol molecules) which damage the endothelium, the lining of the arteries... causing plaque buildup/blockages and hardening. If you eat a ton of fruits and vegetables that contain lots of antioxidants, they protect the cholesterol from damage thus rendering cholestrol harmless. 7-13 servings a day is what the NIH says we need everyday for protection from free radical damage.

Your genetic makeup may keep cells from removing LDL cholesterol from your blood efficiently or cause your liver to produce too much cholesterol.

That means your GENES are largely responsible for High LDL (bad cholesterol) levels. :wink: The topic at hand is what causes high blood cholesterol. Not why high blood cholesterol is bad.

Eating a "ton" of fruit can cause a whole host of other health problems. Fruit contains an awful lot of sugar and, like most foods, should be enjoyed in moderation.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Eating too much saturated fat can raise blood cholesterol. To the guy who wrote the good egg/bad egg thing, you don't need to eat ANY cholesterol in your diet b/c your body makes what it needs to produce bile. That's why too much saturated fat raises your levels, bile is needed to break down fat, cholesterol is needed to produce bile, the by product goes back into your bloodstream.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lower your blood cholesterol, and you don't know if that's too high or not without a blood test, you should eat soluble fiber like oats dried beans and fruit. But make sure you cut back on the cause by cutting back on saturated fats, which are found in all foods containing fat, but are much higher in foods containing animals fat, especially fatty meats and most cheeses. If you eat a piece of fat from a piece of meat, it is essentially all saturated fat.
  • excitementcity
    Options
    Thanks a million everyone. I really appreaciate everyone's comments! Lots of food for thought!