DDR

Options
Any fellow DDR players out there? In 10th grade, when I was super into it, I'd play for 2 hours straight, and got down to 110. Probably the best shape of my life. Trying to get back into it. It's good exercise, and it's fun.

Replies

• vormund
    vormund Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! Sorry for the late re, just starting to check out the forums here. Anyways, I agree... a game o' DDR is always fun, and with the "workout mode" to show calories burned, it's pretty sweet.

Fun to admit, I have four pads and two of the games for the Wii (my friends mocked me from the start... sigh), and can't do much beyond Basic myself (ha)... but that doesn't stop me!

I never really played through the games...so yesterday I downloaded game saves to unlock all songs... never realized how much better the "later" songs are fitness-wise - more constant steps and such.

Any fellow DDR fans, feel free to add me - we'll have to have some contests... :D
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love DDR! That was *the game* for my circle of friends in high school...I still have the steps for "In the Navy" memorized (yet I can't remember where I put my keys...go figure) My husband and I have been shopping around online to find a set of nicer mats. (Always hated the ones that came with the game.)
  • vormund
    vormund Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love DDR! That was *the game* for my circle of friends in high school...I still have the steps for "In the Navy" memorized (yet I can't remember where I put my keys...go figure) My husband and I have been shopping around online to find a set of nicer mats. (Always hated the ones that came with the game.)

Woops... I thought MFP emailed when there was a topic reply! Yep, the white fluff pads that come with it are a little flaky, but they work just well enough for us to get something other than a E!, haha...

In The Navy... that sounds like an awesome song for DDR! Could you do it on the Difficult+ setting? I don't know how anyone can keep up with the Difficult/Expert on most songs - I can hardly focus on the arrows to see what's coming before they pass, let alone move my feet! Maybe you just have to memorize all the steps and go for it!?
  • BlasianIvy
    BlasianIvy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I play it~
    There was a point, around the time DDR became popular here in IL, when I was totally anti-DDR - thinking it was so stupid (I was around 17 years old). About a year after I made that declaration , my friend had me try it... and I became obsessed. xD
  • Clairead89
    Clairead89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I play every day! I was super into it during high school and now that I've gotten back into it, I'm doing better than I was back then. The biggest thing for has been building stamina so I don't pass out halfway through the song. Unfortunately, I don't have many people to play with ;_; It's helped me a lot in staying fit, I can happily say I am a DDR addict. I haven't played any of the newer games (after the ps2 releases), are they any good? I play in arcades too, but it's so much cheaper to play at home 8D
  • mostlybadfly
    mostlybadfly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was really into it in college and kept me in shape. I rave about it to anyone that will listen. There is nothing better than playing through dance master mode and trying 10 times to beat Candy with the arrows going from top to bottom. I just got back into it these past two week and tonight I played that stage again, it is a great workout. It is a very rewarding experience and no matter how tired i get I want to keep going.
    I play every day! I was super into it during high school and now that I've gotten back into it, I'm doing better than I was back then. The biggest thing for has been building stamina so I don't pass out halfway through the song. Unfortunately, I don't have many people to play with ;_; It's helped me a lot in staying fit, I can happily say I am a DDR addict. I haven't played any of the newer games (after the ps2 releases), are they any good? I play in arcades too, but it's so much cheaper to play at home 8D

I personally don't think anything after the ps2 versions are worth it or could live up to Extreme 1 and 2 as well as Max.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Guilty.

Use to own one. Dang, now I want to go to an arcade station
  • abbzpwn
    abbzpwn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ERMAGAWD BEST INVENTION EVER. I could play that for hours as well! Really is a great workout!!!! And it's fun ;D
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just got to pull my DDR out of storage and after playing like 3 times my mat quit working. Finding a new one is gonna be fun.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used to play ddr all the time way back in the day. Awesome exercise! I think I was the best 300+ pound ddr-er ever. I played with two mats at once lol.
  • LisforLee
    LisforLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ERMAGAWD BEST INVENTION EVER. I could play that for hours as well! Really is a great workout!!!! And it's fun ;D

totally agree!! If only I'd kept up with it since high school, lolz.

I even bought a metal pad!! ...not that it gets much use lately =((

But srsly, so awesome :D
  • GossInABox
    GossInABox Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I recently pulled my DDR mat out of storage and use it to add to my exercise. I have tons of fun with it, so I figure it'll be easier to stick with in the long-run. :) I've got one of the foam pads and I do like it a lot. I could never go back to the thin ones that sometimes come packaged with the game.

Back in high school, I could play fairly steadily on heavy mode. Now I'm stuck at standard though. My endurance isn't what it used to be, but I'm determined to get back up there. XD
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had the mat for my PS2, then my dog broke it so, sad. I love playing Dance Central now, Dance Central 3 is awesome.
  • etkahler
    etkahler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I pulled my mats out yesterday and had a fantastic time playing! Did some weights in between songs to recover in a sorta circuit training deal. Definitely adding it to the workout schedule.
  • badatgyu
    badatgyu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I loooove DDR! Korea doesn't have it so I can't play as much, but I'm going home for a couple weeks and it's all I will be playing. Such a good workout! I play standard/heavy intermixed so I am always sweating by the time I'm done, lol.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I have / had a Disney plug n play DDR mat.
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love DDR. Ive been playing for 12 plus years and competed in a lot of tournaments throughout my days ( and won). I'm pretty old school. Lol I mostly play arcade only since I have a machine within walking distance for me and I get free credits :)
    I usually prefer playing DDR for my exercise because I never feel like I actually am exercising. It's sad because it's so fun I usually play for 3 hours straight and on heavy. Pretty much have the game AAA'd on heavy mode minus the 10 footers ( besides Sakura)
    I don't think I will ever stop playing, it's way too much fun and the best cardio ever!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    That game was sooo fun! I wanted to get a new mat and stuff to play it again (and hey bonus exercise! ) but have been having trouble tracking any down. T^T Now all I have is Just Dance which imo isn't as fun :p