Really need some advice

Options
I am not here for sympathy nor am I here to argue as seems to happen every time I post a topic. I have a legitimate question that needs a legitimate answer. Some backstory will be required so here goes.

Earlier this year, I finally got to the point that I had to take my calories down to well below 1200 to lose weight because my metabolism is so bad. I have never been diagnosed, but I strongly believe I have hypothyroidism. When I first started, I weighed 450 pounds and I was told by MFP to eat 2450 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. I did this and gained a ton of weight. I brought it down to 2000 calories a day. Still gained. Finally took it down to about 1800 and stayed steady so I finally brought it down to 1650 and started to lose weight. Slowly but surely, I've had to decrease my calorie count until around January, it finally went down to about 700 a day. This is all on top of exercising over an hour 7 days a week. Walking is the only thing I can do due to tremendous hip and back pain and even still, I hurt like crazy when I stop.

Anyway, I lost weight steadily until about 2 weeks ago. I didn't hit a plateau, I hit a wall. Pure and simple. 700 calories a day and 72 minutes of exercise a day and I couldn't lose any more weight. At the advice of a friend, I decided to try upping my calories to the minimum 1200 and drinking more water. He used an analogy about cars not having enough fluids to run properly that I can't remember at the moment because my mind is hazy right now.

Now here's where I need some advice, since increasing my calories to 1200 a day, which has been a real struggle trying to find calories that aren't loaded with sugar or salt but I've done it. I also started taking a multivitamin as well as a Cinnamon supplement for sugar metabolism. What's strange is that since doing this, I've felt absolutely terrible each day and it gets worse and worse each day. I can't think clearly most of the time. I hurt worse than ever. I feel bloated and very gassy. I have chest pains which feels like air pushing in my chest and trying to get out and at this point when I get on the treadmill, my chest feels like it's gonna explode 90 seconds into my workout. Starting today, I've developed a constant feeling of a lump in my throat to the point that my airway feels like it's gonna close any second.

I need to know what I can do about this. Seeing a doctor is out of the question as I'm unemployed and have no medical insurance. I just can't understand why increasing my calories has made me feel so much worse. I keep track of my vitamins and mineral intake and since increasing the calories, I've started meeting all my vitamin needs, with the exception of iron which I still get about 60% daily. I also am down to less than 1200 mg sodium daily and I'm usually less than 50 g sugar and of that 50 g, anywhere from 40-45 of it is natural sugar from fruits.

Replies

• CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump the calories back up again. Now! You are miserable and suffering for no good reason. Your body needs fuel and is screaming for it.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The lump in your airway reminds me of a food allergy. I get that when I'm exposed to peanuts. Are you allergic to cinnamon?
  • choconuts
    Options
    Also, I strongly urge you to see a doctor. Even if not allergy, it doesn't sound right. I know you are unemployed with no insurance, but I imagine your life would be more important than a few medical bills...
  • desmith1982
    Options
    The lump in your airway reminds me of a food allergy. I get that when I'm exposed to peanuts. Are you allergic to cinnamon?

Highly unlikely. I've been taking the cinnamon supplements for months with no problems.
  • choconuts
    Options
    Another suggestion...anxiety?

Also, you can develop an allergy to anything at ANY point.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Forget the supplements. They're not doing you any good. Get yourself to a county clinic where they will charge you little-to-no money for a checkup. In the meantime, eat something!
  • flouncyregalia
    Options
    I applaud you for your effort but "Get thee to a Dr.!!" (or at least a nutritionist!!) All those symptoms sound very scary, like you are on the edge of a heart attack or you might have angina. See link: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/angina/

Until you do get to some authority on health, stay slow and steady and stop when your body starts to talk to you, until you know it is ok to power through the discomfort. You didn't mention your current weight, but with all who carry extra ( I am no exception!) we have to be careful of our joints and ligaments. You also want to make sure that your core is supported with a girdle or band of some sort that still allows movement. This might help your back as well. Our bodies have to last our lifetime so be thoughtful about the movement. Have you tried swimming or aqua aerobics? The public pools are not expensive or the local YMCA may have a pool. It never hurts to ask the manager for a reduced rate. People more often then not, want to help.

Good luck and get some professional input! You are worth it!
  • CaddieMay
    Options

You are worth it!

Yes!
  • LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So, what you can do is change up the calories..
    Sun - 1200
    Mon - 1000
    Tue - 1400
    Wed - 1100
    Thur - 1300
    Fri - 1000
    Sat - 1200
    You average out to a little under 1200 daily and it'll give your metabolism a much needed kick start.
    Don't be afraid of calories if you're going to burn them out that day. Remember that in order to have a healthy body it needs to be fueled.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Finally took it down to about 1800 and stayed steady so I finally brought it down to 1650 and started to lose weight. Slowly but surely, I've had to decrease my calorie count until around January, it finally went down to about 700 a day. This is all on top of exercising over an hour 7 days a week. Walking is the only thing I can do due to tremendous hip and back pain and even still, I hurt like crazy when I stop.

Anyway, I lost weight steadily until about 2 weeks ago. I didn't hit a plateau, I hit a wall. Pure and simple. 700 calories a day and 72 minutes of exercise a day and I couldn't lose any more weight. At the advice of a friend, I decided to try upping my calories to the minimum 1200 and drinking more water. He used an analogy about cars not having enough fluids to run properly that I can't remember at the moment because my mind is hazy right now.

1) If you were losing weight at 1650 why did you go down to 700?

700 calories a day is not enough
    1200 calories a day is not enough
    Pure and simple.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

2) Go to a doctor. Cancel your internet subscription and get medical insurance. I left my TV behind 3 years ago to save money and haven't looked back. You need to make some sacrifices to get insurance because you NEED it.
  • LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So, what you can do is change up the calories..
    Sun - 1200
    Mon - 1000
    Tue - 1400
    Wed - 1100
    Thur - 1300
    Fri - 1000
    Sat - 1200
    You average out to a little under 1200 daily and it'll give your metabolism a much needed kick start.
    Don't be afraid of calories if you're going to burn them out that day. Remember that in order to have a healthy body it needs to be fueled.

Also, the other MFP users are correct, get to a doctor because in your attempt to get healthy you might have damaged something else. Everything measured is alright but when we take it to an extreme it can kill us.
    Just go get a check up, best case scenario he congratulates you on your weight loss
  • desmith1982
    Options
    Here's what I'm considering. I'm debating stopping the diet until May 1st. I will try to eat my daily limit of calories for my weight which is currently about 1700. I will not use my treadmill at the same pace I've been doing, if at all. If I use it, it'll be at like 2 MPH, 30 minutes a day(15 minutes twice a day) with no incline and like I said, I'll keep this up until the 1st of May.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am very, very, gravely concerned about multiple things you've said in your post. You absolutely must see a physician. I'm not sure what your current weight is, but embarking on an exercise regime/VLCD without medical supervision is dangerous.. I am particularly concerned re: your reference to "feeling like my heart is going to explode" and feelings of shortness of breath/airway constriction. The issues you are describing are far, far to complex and potentially fatal and are not appropriate for an MFP msg board. When you have chest pain you need to go to the emergency department. I am sorry you are struggling with financial issues/unemployment and I commend you for continuing to try to better your health with weight loss and exercise, but I can't emphasize enough the need to seek professional medical consultation immediately.
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Here's what I'm considering. I'm debating stopping the diet until May 1st. I will try to eat my daily limit of calories for my weight which is currently about 1700. I will not use my treadmill at the same pace I've been doing, if at all. If I use it, it'll be at like 2 MPH, 30 minutes a day(15 minutes twice a day) with no incline and like I said, I'll keep this up until the 1st of May.

In other words, she isn't going to see a doctor, and in 4 days, she'll be back to eating 700 calories per day.

I tried. I'm out.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You have been going through the mill and I applaud you for keeping going and not giving up. Well done. I don't know how long you have been doing this or how long you have been at a stand still but you probably like me have had the weight for a long time which takes time but much shorter to lose. With your symptoms of course seeing a doctor is always first but if you cant I would see the combinations of foods that you are taking together. I do know that having carbs with fruit can at times give you bloating and gas. As fruit is best eaten on its on with at least 20mins either way. Its the way it digests. Also what is in your food and where its coming from. I don't know if you are having diet drinks that is a major give for some of what you are feeling as well.
    I hope you find a solution quickly that will help you. I think you will also get some insight to what's in our food by this YouTube link very eye opening.
    http://www.infowars.com/food-the-ultimate-secret-exposed/
    Sending you good thoughts
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Now here's where I need some advice, since increasing my calories to 1200 a day, which has been a real struggle trying to find calories that aren't loaded with sugar or salt but I've done it.

I can't answer any of the more important questions or issues in your post... but I can address this! there are lots of nutrient and calorie dense foods that aren't salty or sugary, here's some of my favorite:
    Avocado
    Nuts (unsalted, obviously) and nut butters
    full-fat dairy products
    olive oil (there are other healthy oils, too)
    eggs (not that high in calories 1 at a time, but 2-3 scrambled or in am omelet packs in lots of goodness)

eating healthy doesn't mean keeping everything low-calorie. it's totally ok to have more "fattening" foods, just watch portion sizes and work that into your goal.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am very, very, gravely concerned about multiple things you've said in your post. You absolutely must see a physician. I'm not sure what your current weight is, but embarking on an exercise regime/VLCD without medical supervision is dangerous.. I am particularly concerned re: your reference to "feeling like my heart is going to explode" and feelings of shortness of breath/airway constriction. The issues you are describing are far, far to complex and potentially fatal and are not appropriate for an MFP msg board. When you have chest pain you need to go to the emergency department. I am sorry you are struggling with financial issues/unemployment and I commend you for continuing to try to better your health with weight loss and exercise, but I can't emphasize enough the need to seek professional medical consultation immediately.

^^Best advice you're going to get.

Stop dieting and working out. Cut out some money on stuff like internet and TV and the gym and for Heaven's sake go to a doctor!
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

In other words, she isn't going to see a doctor, and in 4 days, she'll be back to eating 700 calories per day.

I tried. I'm out.

^^^^ Agree. I have an expression, "I can't care more then you do"
  • CaddieMay
    Options

I tried. I'm out.

^^^^ Agree. I have an expression, "I can't care more then you do"

Yup.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    OK, so here's my two cents... I went to the dr. 2 weeks ago with stomach pain, gassy all the time, bloating, unable to lose weight, and I also had a weird lump in my throat (almost like a skin tag). I found out a ton of stuff at that appointment. Most of the issues were caused by stress and anxiety, although I did have ulcers, and my thyroid was "sluggish" My vitamin D levels were extremely low. The most important thing I learned though, was that I am lactose intolerant, and cutting out gluten would be a big help to my thyroid. SOOOOO, I was given 2 weeks of antibiotics for the ulcers, a pill for thyroid, a pill for depression, and one more pill once a week for vitamin d (it is a high dosage 50,000 units once a week for 6 months). On top of that, I immediately cut out dairy and gluten. The dietary changes have made all the difference in the world!!! I am eating tons of fruits and veggies, lean proteins, nuts, and drinking only water, and tons of it (I aim for a gallon a day)

I agree with the other posts in that you need more calories, and should do whatever you can to see a doctor. Check with your city and see if there is a free or low cost clinic that you can go to. Feel free to add me, view my diaries, and ask any questions. I am in no means trying to diagnose you, I just noticed alot of the same symptoms I was having. It has been 2 weeks today, and on top of feeling better, I have lost 9 pounds and have tons more energy!