Diet is a dirty 4 letter word

Options
So I've (FINALLY) come to the realization that (unfortunately) there is no miracle diet, no magic pill, no magic drink that is going to suck away the unwanted pounds I need to get rid of (sigh). Iv'e been overweight my entire life, and finally, at the ripe age of 33 have decided to change my ways and get serious about getting to a healthy weight. It's been 5 weeks, but I've lost 23 lbs already! Which at sometimes seems like a miracle, since my original goal was 85 lbs...... I'm already a quarter of the way there! Nuckin' Futs! :laugh: Anyways, I haven't been super active on posts and thread in MFP up until recently, but I need like minded people (preferably ones with a sense of humor) to join me on this journey....... to support each other, to whine and ***** and moan to each other, to just have other people there who are going through the same thing. Feel free to join me on my journey! :drinker:

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm not on a diet, because to me that really IS a four letter word :laugh:

I'm just here to eat healthier, pay attention to the calories I consume, keep everything in moderation, and lose some weight doing it. And by losing "some weight"..... I mean 146 lbs.

I don't starve myself. Nor do I deprive myself. My calorie intake is about 1300-1600 calories a day, and I eat chocolate and/or ice cream everyday. As long as I stay within my range, anything is free game...but I do try to eat as cleanly as possible.

I started my journey out by my doctor's orders....of 1200 calories a day and Phentermine pills. I stopped doing both. I see him tomorrow morning, and I can't wait to disappoint him. He wants me on a diet. I just want to live normally, and I'm doing a pretty darn good job of it, too.

Anyone is free to add me, but be forwarned that I delete people who are on diets. I don't say "Good job" to people consistently eating under 1200 calories. That's just crazy. I don't like to watch my friends starve themselves silly to reach it to the finish line.

I need friends that are thinking more long term. So, if that's you OP, or anyone else lurking on the forums, you are always welcome to add me.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you are wrong about that.

I have lost 10 pounds in eight weeks, without really trying. You can check out my bio if you want the whole story. But in a nutshell, my brother was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. He changed his diet and lost 40 pounds and is reversing the disease.

That really motivated me to try his "high fat" diet. I am amazed at the results. My fat is literally melting away week by week.

After Day 3 you feel no hunger, no cravings.

Google LCHF and click on the first link. Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's site. The rules are very easy. You don't even have to keep track of your food if you don't want to.

I am 48 and in the best shape of my life. I wish I'd learned of this years ago.

Best of luck to you!
  • Willowana
    Options

I have lost 10 pounds in eight weeks, without really trying. You can check out my bio if you want the whole story. But in a nutshell, my brother was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. He changed his diet and lost 40 pounds and is reversing the disease.

That really motivated me to try his "high fat" diet. I am amazed at the results. My fat is literally melting away week by week.

After Day 3 you feel no hunger, no cravings.

Google LCHF and click on the first link. Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt's site. The rules are very easy. You don't even have to keep track of your food if you don't want to.

I am 48 and in the best shape of my life. I wish I'd learned of this years ago.

Best of luck to you!

I'm not sure what you disagree with? Was it me or the OP? I've lost 35 lbs in less than 12 weeks with simple diet and exercise. For every fad diet and all the links posted as to why "High fat", "High carb", or " high/low anything else" works along the cherry picked science behind it, there's a million more threads by people here on why you shouldn't try any of them. So, I'm going to stick with the basics. Good luck on your journey, and if your way works for you, then great! :drinker:
  • tiffsting
    tiffsting Posts: 23 Member
    Options

What I mean by "diet" being a dirty 4 letter word is that you can't just go on a diet, lose the weight, and then go off the diet and expect to not gain the weight back. This journey for me truely is a lifestyle change, NOT a diet. Diets don't last forever, but lifestyle changes do. :smile:

Congrats on your weight loss and finding something that works for you! Feels great doesn't it? I've still got a long road ahead of me, but just having 23lbs off so far has made a huge difference!
  • Willowana
    Options
    What I mean by "diet" being a dirty 4 letter word is that you can't just go on a diet, lose the weight, and then go off the diet and expect to not gain the weight back. This journey for me truely is a lifestyle change, NOT a diet. Diets don't last forever, but lifestyle changes do. :smile:

Congrats on your weight loss and finding something that works for you! Feels great doesn't it? I've still got a long road ahead of me, but just having 23lbs off so far has made a huge difference!

I think you are doing this with the right frame of mind, tiffsting. Diets don't last forever. At some point, you have to start learning how to eat for the rest of your life. That's why I went off the diet pills. Because in the end, what did you learn from your journey? If the answer is "nothing", then you are right back to where you started.

I'm tired of yo-yo dieting, and the crush of defeat that comes along with gaining everything right back, and THEN some! What happens when we reach our goal weight? Nothing. Nothing changes. I know that I'll always have to pay attention to calories in vs. calories out. I'll never be that skinny chick who can eyeball portions. As long as MFP is here, I'll be here.
  • tiffsting
    tiffsting Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You and me both! I'll always have to watch what I'm eating, and make smart choices. Sometimes it's a crappy realization, but it's reality none the less. I just know I'll feel better (mentally and physically) if I get this weight off, and I'm finally doing it!