just a quick question

Options
for the people who have been really over weight like 225+ lbs and have lost a lot. do u still have stretch marks if u do are they very notice able?
im not sure how this works

Replies

• 2daughtermom
    Options
    I'm one of those yo-yo dieters. At one time the most I ever lost was 50 pounds and yes I still had stretch marks.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks never go away but they do fade over time. They are also not limited to people who are "really overweight". (I got stretch marks long before I was overweight just from gaining weight quickly in some areas) The ones I got years ago are still visible but they do fade from dark to white over time.... maybe over a year or so? I can't remember how long it took the ones from pregnancy to fade. :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My highest weight ever (9 months preggo) was 150 and I got a TON of stretch marks and I still have them 10 years later at 114 pounds, so it really has nothing to do with being really overweight.
    Once the skin is damaged like that, it might never repair itself. Think of them as scars and resign yourself to the fact that they will be with you for the rest of your life, although they could get lighter and smaller.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've gotten stretch marks from both being over weight (mostly in the tummy) and building muscle fast when I was a kid (all in the shoulders). After loosing 100lbs the ones on my shoulders haven't changed very much they've shrunk just a tiny bit in width but not much at all. The ones in the tummy have shrunk in width alot. They're still there but they've also lightened a little and are MUCH harder to see than when I was at my heaviest.

So they never go away completely but they do look less and less obvious the more you loose.
  • ChristineMcGrae
    Options
    I have heard that the use of cocoa butter may help in making them fade faster as it has Vitamin E.

I bought some Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion and have started using it now. It says the Vitamin E helps smooths marks and tones the skin. They even have some that is specifically made for stretch marks.

Figured if I started using it on a regular basis now it might help my skin bounce back into shape for when I am down to my goal. :smile:

Here are some links for you:
    http://www.palmers.com/
    http://www.palmers.com/product/detail.php?ID=43&SID=2
    http://www.palmers.com/product/detail.php?ID=23&SID=1
    http://www.palmers.com/product/detail.php?ID=74&SID=6
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    i think everyone is different I have to lose about 220lbs total and so far I've lost 124..I still have stretch marks and skin is getting saggy. but I was prepared for that. I'll have to have surgery (well I want to have surgery) haha to take care of those problem areas so I can enjoy the new body when I reach my goal. I have to start seriously budgeting for that.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You will always have stretch marks. Little weight or not. I have stretch marks from the 35 lbs I gained as a teenager and then lost... then gained... lost half... then gained again. Now I've lost half. I have about the same amount of stretch marks as I did when I was about 11 (I've always been overweight). They're not as noticeable when I'm tan and especially not now that I've lost 18 lbs. All my stretch marks are white except for a couple of the "new" ones on my thighs (I got them this last round of weight gain - so I guess I have more, but you can't really see them) which are a light pink... getting to white!

The best thing to do for your skin NOW... is drink LOTs of water, try not to lose weight too fast (saggy skin) and if you want, you could get cocoa butter and put them on your stretch marks and all over the areas where most of your weight is.
  • snpeterson
    Options
    Palmers didnt work for me. But Mederma Stretch Mark therapy works miracles....:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!