Hows this weight lifting routine?

Options
I'm new to this but currently doing this 3x p/w;

6kg dumbbell lunges - 10 reps, 3 sets.

15kg barbell press - 15 reps, 3 sets.

6kg bent over dumbbell rows - 15 reps, 3 sets.

15kg upright rows - 10 reps, 2 sets.

Weighted squats - 15kg, 15 reps, 3 sets.

Bench crunches with 4kg dumbbell on my legs - 15 reps, 3 sets.

Good idea? Totally crap? Any suggestions?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd do 10 or less reps for everything. I'd base the weights on my reps, so if you can do 10 reps for 2-3 sets, I'd go up. i wouldnt do two different sets of squats. I'd ditch upright rows, put in military press and add in dead lifts.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but currently doing this 3x p/w;

Congratulation!! Lifting is critical for women, and if you get on the right program...the changes you'll see in a relatively short period will amaze you :).

First, we'll go through your given workout and I'll critique some specific things, then I'll list my workout for comparison.
    6kg dumbbell squats - 10 reps, 3 sets.

First...the actual weight isn't relevant to your program (I'm deleting it from the rest of the quotes to avoid confusion). You need to choose a weight that YOU can only lift for the given amount of reps you've chosen. For example...if you can lift that 6kg 15x...its going to do nothing for you lifting it for 3x10.

Also, I would highly suggest learning form and performing barbell squats...starting in a 10-12x3 range, and eventually increasing your weight where you're doing 8x3...then again to 5x5. Your abs and rear will thank you!
    barbell press - 15 reps, 3 sets

Which barbell press do you mean here? Bench? Shoulder? I would suggest a 12 rep range, again here...and choosing your weight accordingly.
    bent over dumbbell rows - 15 reps, 3 sets.

Again, 15 reps is too high in my opinion, 8-12...starting with 12 and increasing weight once you've got form down to 8.
    upright rows - 10 reps, 2 sets.

This is reasonable.
    Weighted squats - 15 reps, 3 sets.

Weighted...with? If you mean barbell squats here, good, but your reps are way too high, and you don't need to do dumbbell squats AND barbell squats.
    Bench crunches with 4kg dumbbell on my legs - 15 reps, 3 sets.

With the right program, crunches are useless.
    Good idea? Totally crap? Any suggestions?

My suggestion (and this is pretty close to the workout format I began with and still use):

Divide your workout into two separate, VERY simple workouts. We'll call them Workout A and Workout B. Perform Workout A on Monday, B on Wednesday, A on Friday, B on Monday, A on Wednesday...etc.

Workout A:
    - Stretch
    - 5-10 minute cardio warmup.
    - Barbell Squat - 12x3 (pick a weight you can't lift more than about 14x to start...LEARN PROPER FORM!! Look for videos by Mark Rippetoe for examples...then increase your weight until you can't comfortably complete the last set with good form)
    - Barbell Bench Press - 12x3 (same advice as above)
    - Dips - 5x5 (you won't use weight for these at first, and you won't be completing the 5x5 either lol. If you can't complete 1 dip, begin with negative dips, in which you lower yourself as slowly as possible for each rep. Eventually you'll develop the necessary strength to complete real dips)
    - Pull Ups (or chin ups, same advice as dips)

Workout B:
    - Stretch
    - 5-10 minute cardio warmup.
    - Barbell Deadlift - 12x3 (pick a weight you can't lift more than about 14x to start...LEARN PROPER FORM!! Look for videos by Mark Rippetoe for examples...then increase your weight until you can't comfortably complete the last set with good form)
    - Barbell Bent Over Row - 12x3 (same advice as above)
    - Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 12x3 (same advice regarding learning form, choosing weight, and increasing weight).
    - Weighted Calf Raises - 12x3 (self explanatory!)

~~~~

This workout will give you a complete body workout, work your abs (HARD), as well as the rest of the important muscle groups. You'll shed fat quickly with this program...particularly once you become strong enough to get into the 8x3 rep range, then into the 5x5 for all exercises. You should feel tired immediately after if you're performing at the right intensity, but recovery should be pretty quick...and you'll feel more and more energized (to the point where you'll feel the workout isn't effective lol) as you get stronger. Remember, it IS still effective, as you should be increasing your weights as soon as you can complete your full reps/sets with good form.

Oh, and some semi important info here...you probably won't be able to walk without crying for the first two weeks lol.

I hope this helps...and if you need any clarification or additional information..let me know!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies, guys! I'm super tired (it's about 1.25am here) and falling asleep, so I'll read the replies properly and reply accordingly tomorrow. Thanks again and good night x
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend finding some routines that are structured just for beginners, and that also go as far as to explain proper form, as it will decrease your risk of injury. Either of these three are a great start: http://stronglifts.com/ , http://startingstrength.com/ , http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/ . You can also search for videos by Mark Rippetoe on Youtube. It's really awesome that you've started lifting! Good luck.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bumping to see the replies