Friends are all overweight and eat out to socialize?

Options
jkprof
jkprof Posts: 20 Member
This is a real problem for me lately--i've taken the steps to control my eating and some of my very best peeps love to eat, drink and eat, drink and eat some more. i love it too, don't get me wrong but that's how i got here in the first place and am trying to turn this binge lifestyle over on its head. Comments?

Replies

• AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd still go out with them and have fun. Can you make healthier food choices and skip the alcohol? Maybe you'll be a good influence on them.
  • vbisnath
    vbisnath Posts: 35
    Options
    I'd still go out with them and have fun. Can you make healthier food choices and skip the alcohol? Maybe you'll be a good influence on them.

I like this ideal. It doesn't make you have to change your lifestyle, but rather just change your eating habits. It will either influence your friends to eat healthier or they will be annoyed with you...lol
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Share food with someone.
  • trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All my friends are thin. If we're having a girl's night out I immediately go online and check out the menu. A few weeks ago they sent out a group message that we were going to an Italian restaurant. When I checked the menu the only healthy choice available to me would have been a salad and I DO NOT do salads. I replied to the message asking if we could switch venues and everyone was cool with it.

Just try to steer them toward places where you'll be able to make good choices. As soon as my food was served I asked for a to-go box and took half of it off my plate. I drank water instead of coke/alcohol. Good luck
  • becplumpton
    Options
    check the menu online before going out and decide what you're going to have then, this way you'll avoid any last minute unhealthy decisions :)

don't feel as though you have to skip the alcohol completely, have a couple of vodka and soda waters a couple of times a week, maybe if you know you're going to be having a meal out and a few drinks go for a bit of an extra run or have a lighter meals throughout the day, or both! :). i love going out for dinner too, i feel as though it's defiantly possible to maintain a healthy lifestyle white still being able to experience restaurants and socialize :)

one more thing - just eat really well throughout the rest of the week, if you eat perfectly 90% of the time, a few extra unnecessary calories (within reason) here and there when you wanna go out with friends won't matter too much :)
  • caseym87
    caseym87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My friends are the same way. I always check out the menu before I go and usually find something. Chain restaurants are easy, but my favorite local ones are harder. And an unexpected bonus...I start feeling alcohol a lot faster now, so that saves calories :)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here. My friends are wonderful, but they love their fried food, and the restaurants they choose aren't exactly calorie friendly. You would think there would be SOMETHING on the menu I could order that would allow me to stick to me daily goal, but nope! Most of the time I just have to suck it up and know I'm going to be consuming more calories if I hang out with them. Therefore, I make sure I eat particularly healthy a few days prior.

So far I haven't gained any weight back, and I've known these people almost a year (just relocated from across country), so it seems to be working.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    This is a great idea. Figure out where you are going before and check online if you can for the healthier options available. It can be tempting to splurge while out with friends. Be prepared.
    Or invite friends over for a get together, drinks at your place and make some healthier foods. Homemade pizza on whole wheat crust is delish!
  • RhetorDayna
    Options
    I check the menu, but I also bring a few healthy foods and desserts. I love my Quest bars. It's dessert to me. Or I bring fruit to nosh and, of course, gum.
  • jkprof
    Options
    Great ideaTrin. like it. jk
  • jkprof
    Options
    ok. Good solutions. i'm finding my pocket book likes me better too when i dont' eat out as much. Juicing is expensive after the initial outlay for the machine but the veggies are well worth it. Might be an answer to your "fruit" sugar issue. there are lots of green and veggie juices that are plenty healthy. jk
  • jkprof
    Options
    I do find that restaurants are pretty good about adapting when i ask--like no pita and a bowl of corn tortilla chips instead...(gluten issues too)...Thanks for your ideas. Great loss and good picture BTW~!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of friends that I meet regularly for lunch Alcohol is not an issue since I don't drink but calories are. Often what I will do is eat before I go out.. something healthy and within my calorie budget. This allows me to order something really light when I am out but still enjoy the company of my friends. Sometimes they get a bit frustrated with my diet..but I tell them its MY journey not theirs .. this is for me and I need it.. they love me and usually agree :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eating out is a good opportunity to practice portion control and real world, intuitive eating. just stop eating when you're satiated...EZ-PZ.