Non-body building women who lift weights?

2»

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    I'm over 40 (48 to be exact). I've been lifting for a while. Had been doing splits, but lately been doing the stronglifts program. It's holding my interest. In your case, you might need to tweak the app (If you use the iPhone/android app) and either tell it to go up by 2.5LBS or let YOU move it up. I predict on squats you'll go up fast, but on overhead press, in particular, I predict you'll plateau fairly soon and need to work at that weight for a few weeks. Who knows, I could be totally wrong, but I've seen a lot of women max out on over head press quickly.
    If you go with strong lifts, cue up some youtube videos on good form. Particularly for squats and deadlifts.
    OR: hire a trainer for a few weeks, but tell her up front that you want to learn COMPOUND LIFTS.

Everything you said!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    The perfect example of a woman who lifts heavy, isn't a bodybuilder, and is over 40 would be Sara. You should look up the Eat Train Progress group that her and Sidesteel run .
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    kettlebells for the win.
  • HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks for the pointers, y'all. Have spent the past few days reading up, looking up, and messing around with the weights.