PLEASE ATKINS....LOW CARB RECIPES

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Buy the Atkins book and visit their website. Lots of recipes.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    [A lot of "low carb" items are processed, which isn't healthy.
    A lot of items, regardless of macronutrient profile, are processed. Don't single low-carb out simply because you don't agree with it.
    Good carbs > Bad carbs
    Good fats > Bad fats

Honestly, whole natural/raw foods are better for you. Low carbs/Atkins is filled with meat. Too much meat isn't good for you. If you want to lose weight and be fit make a lifestyle change, screw the diet.
    First, low-carb/atkins aren't all about "meat, meat, meat". That's a complete myth. For the most part they're ketogenic, which is typically high-fat/moderate-protein/low-carb.

The fats one chooses while on the diet can be healthy or not (there's a big difference between an 8oz grass-fed ribeye and 8oz of processed sausage) depending on what the individual chooses. The idea of the diet isn't unhealthy.

And meat is NOT unhealthy.

Ever notice that an 'atkins' post tends to attract the "anti-low-carb" or vegetarian/vegan posters trying to save you from your unhealthy ways?

The truth is a healthy very-low-carb ketogenic diet is clinically proven superior to any other diet for glycemic control, weight-loss, insulin-sensitivity and all markers of cardiovascular health in dozens of randomized, controlled trials. It's also been used to control diabetes and epilepsy for over a century. It's never been declared unhealthy by the medical community.
  • [A lot of "low carb" items are processed, which isn't healthy.
    A lot of items, regardless of macronutrient profile, are processed. Don't single low-carb out simply because you don't agree with it.
    Good carbs > Bad carbs
    Good fats > Bad fats

Honestly, whole natural/raw foods are better for you. Low carbs/Atkins is filled with meat. Too much meat isn't good for you. If you want to lose weight and be fit make a lifestyle change, screw the diet.
    First, low-carb/atkins aren't all about "meat, meat, meat". That's a complete myth. For the most part they're ketogenic, which is typically high-fat/moderate-protein/low-carb.

The fats one chooses while on the diet can be healthy or not (there's a big difference between an 8oz grass-fed ribeye and 8oz of processed sausage) depending on what the individual chooses. The idea of the diet isn't unhealthy.

Ever notice that an 'atkins' post tends to attract the "anti-low-carb" or vegetarian/vegan posters trying to save you from your unhealthy ways?

The truth is a healthy very-low-carb ketogenic diet is clinically proven superior to any other diet for glycemic control, weight-loss, insulin-sensitivity and all markers of cardiovascular health in dozens of randomized, controlled trials. It's also been used to control diabetes and epilepsy for over a century. It's never been declared unhealthy by the medical community.

Where in what I wrote did I say a low carb diet, or meat is unhealthy? I didn't. If you want to get technical I eat lower carbs than I lot of people I know, but I don't take GOOD carbs out of my diet completely. Raw, naturally grown things are GOOD for you. Nutrients play a big factor in this too. Also, I'm not in it for the weight loss. I'm in it for the health.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    1 cup coconut oul.
    1 cup butter.
    1/4 cup stevia.

Mix with a spoon, stick in the freezer for twenty minutes, then eat straight from the bowl with glee while reading Gary Taubes "Good Calores, Bad Calories".

:heart: :drinker:

I just made these but I added peanut butter, cocoa powder and a few tbsp of shredded coconut. I put them in candy moulds and popped the mould in the freezer. Yummy "Fat Bombs" I got the idea from a friend who eats primal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for you. In fact, healthy carbs in moderation are good for you. Low carb diets are not good for your health.

THIS.
    Thank you so much. You just have to educate yourself. INGREDIENTS IS KEY. A lot of "low carb" items are processed, which isn't healthy.

Good carbs > Bad carbs
    Good fats > Bad fats

A lot of "high carb" items are "processed". The OP didn't ask for opinions on low carb dieting. Just recipes.
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    Carbs are not bad for you. In fact, healthy carbs in moderation are good for you. Low carb diets are not good for your health.

How do you know that they have a medical condition thats requires low carb.. She was asking for recipes not your opinion on low carb!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My dad started cooking Atkin base meals once a while ago and he would always make the mashed cauliflower. Yum
  • highervibes
    Options
    [A lot of "low carb" items are processed, which isn't healthy.
    Good carbs > Bad carbs
    Good fats > Bad fats

Where in what I wrote did I say a low carb diet, or meat is unhealthy? I didn't. If you want to get technical I eat lower carbs than I lot of people I know, but I don't take GOOD carbs out of my diet completely. Raw, naturally grown things are GOOD for you. Nutrients play a big factor in this too. Also, I'm not in it for the weight loss. I'm in it for the health.

I eat very low carb and I don't use ANY Atkins products, or any processed food (or very occasionally). All my meat is grass fed, pastured or raised by my family. I eat A LOT of fat. I cook my veggies in pork lard :) Home rendered. I eat a lot of raw, naturally grown things as well. I'm in it for the health as well, which is why I don't eat grains. Sorry if your idea of healthy and mine don't jive.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    My favorite webiste for Atkins Low carb recipes: also know as Linda's Low Carb recipes

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

This is a GREATwebsite. I have made a lot of them. I have several on my pinterest page. Do the recipes you input on here show up? I have input the ones I have made.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    I eat very low carb and I don't use ANY Atkins products, or any processed food (or very occasionally). All my meat is grass fed, pastured or raised by my family. I eat A LOT of fat. I cook my veggies in pork lard :) Home rendered. I eat a lot of raw, naturally grown things as well. I'm in it for the health as well, which is why I don't eat grains. Sorry if your idea of healthy and mine don't jive.
    [/quote]

I am not using any Atkin products either.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump!

I just made some good steak stir fry with some asian spices (you can buy them where mrs. dash is located), soy sauce, sugar snap pea stir fry mix and some steak strips (pre-cooked).. it was good. Chicken wrapped in bacon is good, chicken stuffed with cheese and spinach!

A good place to find low carb recipes:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
  • highervibes
    Options
    And now back to the OP:

My favorite recipe is roasted chicken thighs in a creamy mushroom sauce

I use 8oz chopped mushrooms (usually portabella)
    1 small onion diced
    1C chicken stock (you can use store bought, or home made. I pressure can my own, but realize that's ambitious for the newbie)
    1C 35% heavy whipping cream
    1tbsp Oregano
    S& Pepper to taste.

ETA: I forgot, I also use a glass of dry white wine to cook the chicken in!

Let the sauce simmer down, if you're not totally agains the grains you can use 1TBSP cornstarch to thicken. Makes 6 servings of sauce. Each serving is 5n Gram carbs.
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    oopsie rolls or bread ok for induction phase or ongoing. i tend to make one big flattened rectangle about half inch thick and cut it into 6 slices like bread, or you can do flattened rounds and use them like half a bap roll for burgers as they are strong enough to support a burger or bacon roll.

OOPSIE ROLLS

3oz cream cheese
    4 eggs
    pinch of cream of tarter
    some salt
    1 tbsp ground flaxseed

separate the eggs, whip the whites with the cream of tarter until stiff. Mix the yokes with the, salt, flaxseed and cream cheese. When the whites are really stiff, fold them into the yokes. (I fold my cream cheese mix into my whites) then place on lined baking sheet in either rounds which need to be flattened (so they look like baps) or you can make one large one in a rectangle and bake for 25 mins in oven mine is a fan so i do it at 160

take out and cool a little and peel off the backing sheet

you can add a little splenda and cinnamon, or just experiment with them.

its also worth checking the oven before the time as it depends on how large you make them and how good seal is in the oven etc...
  • highervibes
    Options
    Oh and there isn't anything healthier or delicious that soft boiled eggs. I think eggs from a backyard chicken(s) is food from the gods! I put egg yolks in everything. My kids love home made apple sauce and I hard boil eggs and mix the yolks in. Makes for a very creamy snack my kids love, and the sugar in the applesauce doesn't give them that rush when I mix in a cooked yolk..
  • luciedevries
    Options
    I have been low carbing for 6 years, it keeps my blood sugars in check.
    There are many good cookbooks available.
    My newest book is low-carbing among friends. It has several good recipies,I like the maple flax granola a lot.
    I have never been healthier since I went on the lowcarb(glutenfree) diet
    Lucie
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did the ATKINS low carb & exercise 2011 losted nearly 38kgs very fast in 18mths & then 2013....... hello all my weight back & more. But everyone is different my problems is I cant limit carbs:devil:
    Breakfast: Cereal or dry toast
    Lunch would be tuna/chicken salad or fresh fruit salad or 1 wholemeal toast with 1 egg, lowfat cottage cheese & tomato my favourite was 1 wholemeal with cooked spinich & cheese.
    Dinner would be meat/seafood & bbq veges or stirfry.
    You can do lots of different salads & dressing.
    Best of luck :smile:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much what YOU said... however you both quoted and agreed (with a "THIS" ) the poster that said "Low carb diets are not good for your health."

When you agree with something that's complete rubbish and has no basis in science, you're going to get painted with the same brush, sorry.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I did the ATKINS low carb & exercise 2011 losted nearly 38kgs very fast in 18mths & then 2013....... hello all my weight back & more. But everyone is different my problems is I cant limit carbs:devil:
    Breakfast: Cereal or dry toast
    Lunch would be tuna/chicken salad or fresh fruit salad or 1 wholemeal toast with 1 egg, lowfat cottage cheese & tomato my favourite was 1 wholemeal with cooked spinich & cheese.
    Dinner would be meat/seafood & bbq veges or stirfry.
    You can do lots of different salads & dressing.
    Best of luck :smile:
    This is what you ate? Man, sorry, but no wonder you regained. :-) This sounds like prison to me.
  • baddrob
    baddrob Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! If you like breakfast food, you are in. I make ham, cheese, green pepper, onions, (western omelet) all the time. Brown pork sausage, add three scrambled eggs, add cheese.... Hmmmm... did I say bacon? Yep...BACON. What can you not do with that? Oh, don't forget to add a little seasoning to your eggs. Use your imagination. I chop hot peppers and ad them to my eggs... Breakfast... think big. Ok.... one snack. Spicy, pork rinds with a dob of cream cheese. And don't forget to exercise. I hope this helps.
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah & other food but you get use to it. Then I gave up smoking.....food smell good & tasted good! But good on you for maintaining :)