How much do sodium/sugar really affect your progress?

Options
trudijoy
trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
I fluctuate with these two macros - up some days, down some. If i'm drinking water, and meeting my calorie and fat macros, how bad is it if i'm not always under for sodium and sugar. EVERYTHING contains one or the other....

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Doesn't affect my progress. I almost always end the week over on both--but I also don't seem to have problems with either of them, and some people do.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Yeah I'm wondering how careful I really need to be. A lot of my sugar is natural, and I don't want to do the 'only clean foods' thing to avoid sodium as it's impractical - and I don't want to end up like my Mum who finds raw vegies too salty as she never ever includes sodium in her diet!
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone, but because I have high blood pressure, I have to watch my sodium. I didn't realize how much sodium I consume in a day until I started MFP. Now, I'm trying to be careful. I don't freak out if I go over, though. I just try to find good, tasty, alternatives to my high sodium food.

I think if you don't have hypertension, it's not that big of a deal--especially if you're drinking your water.
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like the above poster have high blood pressure. Main thing is your preservatives and cans. Not sure what your idea of eating clean is, but you could start at the produce aisle's in your grocery store.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I like the above poster have high blood pressure. Main thing is your preservatives and cans. Not sure what your idea of eating clean is, but you could start at the produce aisle's in your grocery store.

I have salad at lunch and veges at dinner. I eat a variety of veg every day and i usually dont have processed meat. Start there, lol?

There is such a difference between eating a balanced diet and a clean one. Im not asking. For diet advice...just wanna know about those two macros
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Uh yeah - start there. Yes they affect your progress anything with high sugar is gonna have higher calories and not keep you full very long. High sodium increases water intake, increasing water weight and so on.

If all your vegetables are drowned in liquid or come from a can, chances are they're high in sodium.

Looks like you were asking advice to me: "Yeah I'm wondering how careful I really need to be" !
  • trudijoy
    Options
    Omg i just said i eat fresh vegies. Thanks for your suggestions. . .
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I could possible meet my sodium goal to be honest. I may have accidentally set it way too high. It wants me to have 2500mg and I only get around 1000mg. And I think I eat a HIGH salt diet!

Sugar on the other hand, I am ALWAYS over on. But the bulk of it is fruit sugars and I try not to worry about that. Fruit is essentially a healthy food and I have enough obsessions and fears around food without adding another one!

Sorry, didn't really answer the question before: I don't think either affect my progress. WHen I diet and exercise I lose weight. When I don't I gain weight. The types of food don't really seem to matter.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    They may not mess with your actual fat loss or muscle gain, but they will cause boating and water retention which make you think you are not making progress.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    I don't know how I could possible meet my sodium goal to be honest. I may have accidentally set it way too high. It wants me to have 2500mg and I only get around 1000mg. And I think I eat a HIGH salt diet!

Sugar on the other hand, I am ALWAYS over on. But the bulk of it is fruit sugars and I try not to worry about that. Fruit is essentially a healthy food and I have enough obsessions and fears around food without adding another one!

Sorry, didn't really answer the question before: I don't think either affect my progress. WHen I diet and exercise I lose weight. When I don't I gain weight. The types of food don't really seem to matter.

Thanks...i cook a lot of japanese food and so much of my sodium is things like soy and gomashio... Sugar is mostly fruit (+wine). I know its a healthy diet so to me thats the main thing :-)
  • trudijoy
    Options
    They may not mess with your actual fat loss or muscle gain, but they will cause boating and water retention which make you think you are not making progress.

That, i can handle, coz it goes away :-)
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

MFP's sodium settings are limits, not goals. The USDA recommends no more than 2300mgs a day, while the American Heart Association recommends no more than 1500mgs a day.