My love affair .... with ice cream

Options
I love ice cream. Like, really, really LOVE ice cream. It is my absolute #1 weakness. I'm not one one of those chocolate obsessed chicks (well...during that time of the month I'll get a hankering for peanut or almond m&ms or something like that). I don't care for chocolate cake with chocolate icing (URGH!!! too much chocolate). I don't wet my pants over brownies (unless it's something from Market Street that's like some wonderful concoction.... like the heavenly hash ----MMMMMMM) I like chocolate and peanut butter together (best combo EVER!) but just plain chocolate? Not so much.

But ice cream.....Oh, ice cream. I love you so. I was actually doing really, really well. We had gotten these 16 calorie "philly swirl" bars from Sam's. We got some 100 calorie mini ice cream sandwiches. And then my always been skinny, never had a weight problem boyfriend decided a couple of weeks ago while grocery shopping "Hey, let's get some cookies and cream". And it's been downhill ever since....

First it was the cookies and cream. Then I started making cookies and cream milkshakes. Then our next grocery trip it was more cookies and cream (I ate the whole tub without him ever biting into it.... and HE was the one that wanted it!) AND a tub of Tin Roof Sundae. And more milk shakes. And last night.... oh, last night... hello pistashio almond... I love you so...

I was doing so well..... And then I get hit with the crazy PMS cravings. And I seem to PMS for a whole week before it's that time of the month. Like not just crazy "I need ice cream" moments but emotional mood swings too. I'll cry at the drop of a hat, for like, no reason.

So I'm trying to be strong and wean myself off the ice cream. I'm seriously one of those people who cannot trust herself with ice cream. I just have to NOT buy it.

After this last tub is done, I'll be on vacation and away from home. No more ice cream for me. If we get some, it will have to be a pint. And only a pint. Out of sight, out of mind.

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Me too, I cant buy it or I will eat it!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm like that with a couple of different foods. I don't keep them in the house. I don't need the temptation especially on the days that I am weak and more liable to fall into temptations.

I think I'm to the point where I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of not having control when it comes to food. So now I don't buy ice cream except on birthdays and I've not been making any kind of sweets. Sugar in general is a downfall.

Stick with it. Everyday that you overcome, it will get easier to be without it the next day.

You can do it. :)
  • tamara_nicole
    Options
    I feel you. I'll be doing really well..then my Fiance brings home ice cream, and soda, and just junk! then I eat/drink it too because it's all we have. Definitely don't buy it!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I can't keep my hand out of the potato chip bag so I don't even buy them. That's the only thing that really works for me. As to the PMS thing, it sounds like you might have PMDD which is different than regular PMS because it severely affects your emotions and can cause severe mood swings. You may want toask your doctor, b/c I believe that there are some forms of birth control pills that help ease PMDD symptoms as well.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream, too! If you want a healthy alternative, look up the 1-Ingredient Ice Cream recipe (you use a banana, and that's it!) It's crazy, but phenomenal.
  • desireebutts
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I love ice cream as well! Don't deprive yourself!!! Or else you will end up eating a ton of it. You totally need to try skinny cow little cups they are so yummy you seriously can't tell that is "diet" it's only 150 cal, and 1.5g fat!!! they are so yummy! They even have a cookies and cream one!!! :) Let me know how you like it
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I seriously love ice cream too. I would also choose it over chocolate and cake...or any other sweet. My favorite is cookies and cream and then pistachio. Hello Oreo McFlurry!! Anyway, I used to just eat it whenever I wanted to and whatever portion I felt like. Since I started my lifestyle change in April I've had ice cream maybe a handful of times and kept it at the serving size (generally a half cup). If you feel that you cannot control yourself, maybe you just have to completely cut it out right now...and then reassess later. Otherwise, there are a lot of low cal options out there -the Skinny Cow products are very good. But, I totally know where you are coming from...and limiting yourself to a half cup serving of ice cream can be rather difficult. I will never completely cut it out because I do love it and I think it's good to indulge once in a while. So, if I have the extra cals from working out and I'm having the craving, I will treat myself a bit. I hope you can reach a point where you can enjoy ice cream, but not go overboard...because we both know how good it tastes. Good luck!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Let your sweet boyfriend see this blog. He may start liking the lo-cal stuff again.
    Also, they sell ice cream in those tiny containers (1 or 0.5 cup per container?). See if Cookies and Cream comes in those. You get the first bite and boyfiend scarfs down the rest really fast! You are both happy (you enjoyed ice cream and very low calories and he had his ice cream.)
    1 cup of chocolate ice cream = 8 oz = 132g = 286 calories.
    1 Teaspoon of the same = 1/6th of an oz = 5g = 10.8 calories
    So, what do you think?

NOTE: I got myself heavy with a daily supply of ice cream. I knew this was bad as I was doing this.
    Then, I thought about living for a long time and that ice cream has lots of saturated fats in it--bad for our heart and circulatory system. Plus being overweight can contribute to cancer (which I had and am still being treated for--just Femara each day).
    I decided to eat healthy fats and limit my saturated fats to 10g per day. My body is very happy with this. While I will occassionally eat 3 slices of pizza, it is not a weekly thing.
    You can do this. Just weight the pros and cons of ice cream and you might be swayed toward eating less, or none for a while.
    Hugs, :drinker:
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I understand I can eat half of somethings..but icecream..it would be gone..same with chips/chocolate bars/cheesies..those kinds of junk that I just won't touch anymore..I'm addicted and when I take one bite..its my drug..I want more and cant stop with out alot of trouble.
    So since Sept1 of this past year I have not eaten junk..some sweets here and there..but I can leave it/throw it out and I just have one..or half a dessert @ a restaurant. But no chips/fried fast food/chocolate bars/ and I've had some icecream but only @ a restaurant never buying a container. I actually have not been too tempted but sometimes its hard. In general my life has only gotten better though so I'm going to keep it up..life sucked **** before..was nonexistant really had no life just junk food...now I'm getting that life together and looking forward to everything that comes my way.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. To compound it, my husband's family owns an ice-cream store--we can get it any time we want! ARGH!!!! At least that way, i can just get a cone and be done with it, rather than a whole pint or something. Currently, I'm grooving on the 1-ingredient ice cream--but i add some hershey's syrup or peanut butter to make it more interesting, and the vanilla cones from McDonald's--not too shabby for 150 cals. Best of luck!
  • klmix08
    klmix08 Posts: 14
    Options
    I LOVE ice cream too. Recently I found the brand "Skinny Cow". It's a low calorie, fat free (I believe) ice cream that is very tasty! I had one the other day that was 140 calories and it was a sandwich with vanilla ice cream between a chocolate brownie.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    The only ice cream I keep in our freezer is HyVee Galaxy Bars. They are vanilla ice cream on a stick dipped in chocolate, REALLY good and only have 110 calories and even if I indulge in 2 of them its only 220 calories. YUM.....:tongue:
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    I hear ya. To compound it, my husband's family owns an ice-cream store--we can get it any time we want! ARGH!!!! At least that way, i can just get a cone and be done with it, rather than a whole pint or something. Currently, I'm grooving on the 1-ingredient ice cream--but i add some hershey's syrup or peanut butter to make it more interesting, and the vanilla cones from McDonald's--not too shabby for 150 cals. Best of luck!

OH MY....If my family owned an ice cream store....I'd be in BIG trouble.......:blushing: :blushing:
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm the chocolate girl you were referring to...:blushing: LOL. I gave it up (cold turkey) almost 4 weeks ago (4 weeks this coming Tuesday). I haven't really missed it until ToM this week. But I'm trying to be strong. However, I've replaced my chocolateaddiction during ToM with ice cream this week. I had it 4 days this week. Heck, I *just* got home from a date with my hubby (dinner, movie, then Cold Stone)..... I got a small banana flavored ice cream. It was sinful, but not chocolate.:wink: Something tells me the scale will not like me tomorrow. :embarassed:

Good luck, if you can make do with smaller servings or the light versions, that's great. But if you're like me, you might have to cut it out completely (like I did with my chocolate candy/cookies/ice cream/cakes). You can do it!! Look how far you've come already! :heart:
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    you know how im feeling about this lol....if you keep me in check ill keep you in check! deal?
  • XoXoCountryGalXoXo
    XoXoCountryGalXoXo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I love ice cream! I feel your pain!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Get yourself an icecream maker and save yourself some calories.

This lady had Gastric Bypass and instead of giving up what she loves she found ways around it. So many recipes and even better she uses protein powder so you are increasing the amount of protein you get which is great because most women don't get enough.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/protein-ice-cream.html
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful and understanding words! I really appreciate it.

I want to address a few things: Skinny Cow brand - yes, I've tried it, yes I llike it. I just don't buy it often enough. I think I might need to try the single serving size.... perfect portion control :-) I like the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches -- the Chocolate peanut butter and of course, cookies and cream. I've tried the weight watchers ones -- the 2 indivual cups. Those were pretty good.

For the most part, I have tried other alternatives. here are some of my favorites: I really love those Dole fruit bars --- I love the coconut bars but those have more calories than the other flavors. The strawberry ones are so good, you can actually taste the strawberries! And the lime bar reminds me of a frozen virgin margarita :-)

The sugar free popsicles are pretty good, I prefer the tropical flavors.

I've gotten creative in the past and here are 2 of my homemade "craving quelchers:"

fat free (frozen) whipped cream --- like 1/2 a cup and mix it with some mixed fruit (like the small dole individual cans)... I just tried this one day and I was surprised how good it was... totally on the fly but it hit the spot.

This other idea I got from the Biggest Loser (don't remember the season but it was the one with Kay in it). Bob was making these "chocolate pudding in a cloud'. Take fat free, sugar free instant pudding mix and prepare. I use 1/2 cup tupperware containers- line the sides and the bottom with fat free whipped cream and then pour in the pudding. Delish!!!!

I've seen the homemade ice cream maker and I may have to look into it. I love kitchen gadgets.

I too prefer to indulge ONCE in a while with moderate portions. And normally I can do this. But (this is no excuse) I have the week from hell at work and I'm PMS-ing (or suffering from PMDD -- I actually thought of that too!) so when we got the ice cream, it was definitely tempting fate.

I'm trying to keep myself accountable (and be accountable to my supportive MFP friends) by making my food diary viewable,

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions and support!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Icecream is one of my weaknesses as well especially in the summer. I have started getting the Skinny cow icecreams that range anywhere from 100 to 150 calories depending on which ones you get. I LOVE them and they satisfy my cravings and help me stay within my calories for the day. My favs are strawberry shortcake icecream sandwiches, chocolate fudge cone and the chocolate truffle--yum!