Anyone else a runner?

Options
I fell in love with running after my first daughter was born and next month on the 17th I am doing my very first half marathon! Anyone else doing any races?

Replies

• kmstar
    kmstar Posts: 3
    Options
    I have never been a runner but I think I may also get to like running better than walking. It takes less time to burn more calories for better weight loss. I hope as I progress I will eventually run more than I walk. Currently, I walk l min., then run 1 min. for approx. 45 min.
  • jennyj5
    jennyj5 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a runner. I have been for 8 years now. I have always had a weight issue even though I run almost every day, teach cycling and am a personal trainer. I recently figured out, using this site, that it wasn't the amount of cardio/workouts I was doing it was the lack of what I was eating! I was eating too little. Go figure.
    I love my running. I have done marathons, half marathons, and shorter races. I do crazy runs like 100 floor stair climbs and obstacle courses. One of my new things is I teach an intro to running class. It only has beginner runners and we concentrate on body weight exercises, core work, short runs and run/walks like was mentioned by someone else before me. That is the way you get started.
    When you do your first half marathon, run your own race. Try not to get caught up in the excitement of the moment (which is easy to do!). Have fun. Bring flip flops in your bag to take your shoes off afterward. Drink lots of water/gatorade and put some salty pretzels in your bag afterward too. Here is the biggest tip. If you are sore afterward, take an ice bath. They are fierce, but help with the soreness. Get a bag or 2 of ice and put them in the bathtub. Climb in with your clothes on and stay in there for as long as you can stand. Have fun!! Good luck!!
  • ajsimyan
    ajsimyan Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and i loved it and still love it, but since i gained weight, running is too hard on my joints and causes me loads of pain. my goal is to run in a half marathon one day. I am hoping by the end of summer maybe i can jog a marathon, but we'll see. Good luck in your marathon:smile:
  • viadelorosa03
    Options
    I ran cross country in hs and I loved it. I just had my first baby in march and am currently training for a 5k in september. It's a challenge to get away even a couple times a week to train, but i'm determined to be able to finish the 5k. Good luck with your half marathon! I eventually would like to be able to do a triathlon
  • maureenjo
    maureenjo Posts: 3
    Options
    Just started this year and after 4 months I have completed 3 5K races here in Florida...not very fast...still averaging about 14 min/miles mixing in a little walking with the slow running. I'm 67 and do many forms of exercise: tennis, hiking, bicycling, kayaking, yoga, Curves circuit training, and now running a few times a week. I do something everyday, usually more than one activity, in fact. I am currently maintaining my weight at 125 lbs. on a 5' 5" frame. Having an apple shaped body, I have to keep the weight low to avoid the fat-in-the-middle thing. I haven't been is such good shape in many years. Working at a desk all of my working life, and only walking on lunch hours and getting in a little exercise on weekends didn't do it for me. Now in retirement I can concentrate on my own health. So, ladies, there is always hope. I think you runners have the right idea though; you get a lot of intense exercise in a limited amount of time. I didn't think my knees could take it, but they get better and better as I continue the training.
  • XoXoCountryGalXoXo
    XoXoCountryGalXoXo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looking for a 5k in my area to start with. Haven't heard of anything yet though. Feel in love with jogging a few years back! Now i can't go more than 2 days without it!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you're looking for a race in your area, check out www.runningintheusa.com - they have races listed by state.

...to the O.P. - good luck on your half marathon! I hope to be able to accomplish at least one of those one day!
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I love it. Normally I run at least 4 km or 20 min daily, at an average pace of 12-14 km/h (that's 8 mph).

I find that running, being the most natural excercise known to man, also clears the mind and balances the spirit. Probably I am an endorphine addict already :tongue: