Allergy Medications Making You Fat???

Options
Hello!

I want to say I do not necessarily believe this, BUT, am interested in what you have to say.

STORY: I have HORRIBLE allergies, am on a few pills, and a couple inhalers. About to start shots. I've been on these RXs for a couple years now....during this time, my weight has barely budged, regardless of my eating / fitness habits. Very frustrating.

Like I said before I do not necessarily associate the two - BUT - woke up this morning with an "aha" moment, wondering if it COULD be more than a coincidence?

Lots of Zyretec, Flonase, Clairinex, Albuterol, and a few others.

I would love to not be on meds, but the allergies are out of control!! YEAR ROUND!

Any thoughts out there?

Alex

Replies

• EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The only allergy drug that ever made me gain was prednisone. And that was all bloat and water, it was horrible. I was on it for a couple of YEARS, just before Advair came out. I am down to half of the lowest dosage of that, and over the counter Allegra 24 hour. This is after 4 years of busting my butt in the gym - the cardio helps with my asthma, even when my allergies are at their worst in the spring and fall. I think my immune system is also way stronger. Just my 2c...
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm on flonase, another nose spray (I forgot the name!), claritin and singular. The only thing that's made me gain weight is prednisone, but that weight came off shortly after I was off the medication. (Unless I was on it for a long period of time)

I've been losing weight, even while on these medications- so I don't see the coincidence. I would talk to your doctor.
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Interesting!!! I'm on 2 allergy meds. and have shots and have been for over 12 years. I wonder if that is my problem with weight gain. Would love to hear what others say. I have started a new natural product which is good for the immune system and am hoping this will allow me to stop with everything.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    Steroidal meds are known for their ability to make you gain weight. Predisone is one of the most popular ones but you might want to check to see if any of the meds you take are steroidal drugs.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Steroidal meds are known for their ability to make you gain weight. Predisone is one of the most popular ones but you might want to check to see if any of the meds you take are steroidal drugs.

INTERESTING! I am definitely taking a inhaler steroid for my lungs....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to move far away from this place instead of trying to combat my allergies and asthma with more chemicals. Also, OTC allergy and asthma meds can make your hair start falling out if you take them too long.

Which is why I take generic sudafed instead, but it won't help much when Spring barges in again.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Yet another reason to move far away from this place instead of trying to combat my allergies and asthma with more chemicals. Also, OTC allergy and asthma meds can make your hair start falling out if you take them too long.

Which is why I take generic sudafed instead, but it won't help much when Spring barges in again.

Sudafed makes my nasal passages BURN, I try to stay away from that stuff! Does that happen to you?
  • mabennett
    Options
    yes. they made me gain weight.
  • christinelyn
    christinelyn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree that all those chemicals(allergy meds) having so many side effects. I'm trying to get away from the two I take and hope to stop the shots some day soon. I started on a new product called Prime from Qivana and about a week or two after taking it my sinus' opened up more and I can breath better. Also they have a product called Deffense for your immune system which will help strengthen your system and I'm taking that also. They are all natural and so far seems to be helping some and I use my neti pot that helps a lot.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Interesting...my son eats healthy, and is on Zyrtec, Singulair (we took him off 7 weeks ago) and Pulmocort. He struggles with weight, and is considered obese.

ETA: He was normal weight until an illness neccistated the need for meds. (Prednisone at times)
  • MerRock
    MerRock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me once that Albutarol can actually help you lose weight. I don't know if it's true, but it does make my heart speed up.

I'm thinking that maybe the allergies themselves might make weight stay higher. A body with a lot of histamine in it would have swelling and inflammation, which could make water weight higher.

I'm on several medications that have weight gain as side effects. I've learned over the last two years, that I can lose weight, but I have to be SOO careful and very strict about everything I eat and exercise, and it still will come off much slower than someone else who eats a couple hundred more a day. It's not fair, but it is what it is. So don't let it discourage you too much. It just may take longer than it should.