Creatine While dieting?

Options
Hi,

Was thinking about taking creatine while dieting to improve my strength and wondered if anyone else is doing it.

Now i understand its going to confuse my weights when i weigh in as i will be retaining more water but im not to concerned about that as long as my measurements head in the right direction.

Is this going to have an effect on my bf% as it reads on the scales and any idea how much by?

Also how long does this so called 'bloat' that i've been reading about take to subside?

Replies

• dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    creatine monohydrate will make you hold some water, PH adjusted creatine like kre-alklyn is suposed to keep bloat to a minimum.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I only recommend creatine monohydrate. It has no effect on your BF% even when you are cutting back. The "bloating" may not be coming from creatine. Read this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak22.htm

it gives you more information and additional perspectives.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the link it was really useful.

The problem i have is i only ever drink water and dont want the unnecessary calories and sugars that go with fruit juice.
    Will it still absorb with complex carbs or do they have to be simple?
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    I agree with dude above and get monohydrate and yes it will still be absorbed without the sugar, The insulin spike the sugar provides does make your body absorb more tho.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the link it was really useful.

The problem i have is i only ever drink water and dont want the unnecessary calories and sugars that go with fruit juice.
    Will it still absorb with complex carbs or do they have to be simple?

I drink it with water. Sometimes with my "recovery drink." I can't say for sure if you HAVE to use simple carbs. Maybe someone else has a different experience.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I take it with my preworkout in the morning - which has I think 5g of sugars in it or something. The idea being that you need insulin to open GLUT skele muscle receptors to push it into the muscle, I am of the opinion it is unnecessary.

I don't like training fasted - but even if you do, you can just take your creatine with whatever meal you eat throughout the day - the idea that you need a bunch of sugar to spike your insulin isn't true, and meal you eat even on a low carb diet will produce insulin
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I take 3g post workout. It's had no negative effects on me and my progress as far as I can tell.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I only recommend creatine monohydrate. It has no effect on your BF% even when you are cutting back. The "bloating" may not be coming from creatine. Read this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak22.htm

it gives you more information and additional perspectives.

This
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, going to go with 3 grams in the morning and 3 grams post workout with a banana and a protein shake. Wont make any other changes to my diet and see how i get on in the coming weeks.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I take 3g post workout. It's had no negative effects on me and my progress as far as I can tell.

I concur, I didn't notice any bloat or anything either. I didn't take a lot on the first day to saturate the muscles like the bottle said to, I just started taking one dose everyday. Maybe that part causes the bloat? I also don't eat a lot of red meat so I probably wasn't getting a lot of creatine naturally anyways so I think that helped with my quick results as well.
  • Ryne15
    Ryne15 Posts: 6
    Options
    You don't 'bloat' with creatine. You get slightly bigger, but the water is in your muscles, not right under the skin. Your body absorbs 98% of creatine monohydrate don't waste your money on fancy creatine that claims better absorption. Also, just take it with water. People say to take it with sugar but you need a ridiculous amount, like 90g of sugar, for it to help.