Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Looking for high protein foods BESIDES meat

2»

Replies

• casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    I totally understand. The only meat I used to eat regullary was chicken breast, but now I've given that up because I don't find it too healthy. In order for me to eat some other type of meat it has to contain no visible fat.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I totally understand. The only meat I used to eat regullary was chicken breast, but now I've given that up because I don't find it too healthy. In order for me to eat some other type of meat it has to contain no visible fat.

Why? Fat is a necessary part of your diet.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Chia seeds are a vegan source of protein. I also suggest eggs.
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    I eat a lot of Tofu, Tempeh, and Seitan. Seitan is the highest in protein and is my personal favorite. My husband recently lightly breaded some and baked it and it was like popcorn chicken. It felt like we were getting to eat junk food lol
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I think your doctor is misinformed on this issue. There is no magical mystery meat vitamin that will make you stronger than the stuff in plant foods.

Unless you have serious and extensive food allergies, there's no reason why you can't get enough complete protein and iron from plant sources. If your body has difficulty absorbing non-heme iron, then why not only consume as much as is medically necessary? Did they give you any numbers?

You can look at my diary. I've had no trouble getting 90+ grams of protein and 120% DV of iron on days when I try. The answer to both is legumes and leafy greens. Eat them with every meal. If you want to keep the carbs down and still get the protein, eat lots of tofu, tempeh, seitan, soy nuts, edamame, etc.

I think you should get a second opinion. Try to speak with a nutritionist.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I'd have gotten another doctor if I were you. Unless you have some weird medical condition, eating meat is not necessary to your health.

Pretty much all foods have protein. Beans, whole grains, veggies...all good sources.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    I eat greek yogurt but really it only has 11grams of protein, and you need alot more then that obviously. I don't like having to mix and match 10 different types of foods to achieve 60 grams of protein. Its crazy.
  • rkosidelady
    rkosidelady Posts: 1 Member
    Try high protein drink, Texturize Vegetable protein. Protein Bars. and of course, lots of fresh salads & veggies. Check your local co-op for TVP!
  • holothuroidea
    I eat greek yogurt but really it only has 11grams of protein, and you need alot more then that obviously. I don't like having to mix and match 10 different types of foods to achieve 60 grams of protein. Its crazy.

I didn't even think about protein today. I had a fantastic vegan junk food extravaganza and I still managed 60g of protein without any of the craziness you mention.

I must be a magical unicorn.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member

I didn't even think about protein today. I had a fantastic vegan junk food extravaganza and I still managed 60g of protein without any of the craziness you mention.

Really lots of protein in vegan junk foods?
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    I get a lot of protein from dairy - milk, greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. Cheese also has a good amount of protein. Beans and lentils are good. Eggs. I often eat cereal for breakfast and always pick something with high protein. Lately I've been eating a lot of protein bars but am trying to cut down on them. I've started regularly eating canned fish like sardines and kippers. Half a tin usually has about 12 g protein. Canned oysters and mussels have a little less protein but more iron. You said you like fish but I know they are too fishy for a lot of people (myself included until fairly recently, I still refer to them as stinky fish.)
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    If you do need to supplement with iron pills, be sure to eat plenty of fibre and drink plenty of water to keep regular - beans will fit the bill for fibre and protein.
  • KayStewart28
    KayStewart28 Posts: 4 Member
    I LOVE greek yogurt! If you live near a Kroger, they have an awesome Greek Yogurt that is a lite version. It has 16 grams of protein and only 90 calories. Very nice!!! And yummy too!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Cottage Cheese has one of the best complete macronutrient profiles around, and tuna mixed with greek yogurt (plain, obv.) rather than mayo to make tuna salad is a protein bomb.
  • holothuroidea

Really lots of protein in vegan junk foods?

I wouldn't say that I got most of my protein yesterday from junk food, but I had no problem exceeding my protein requirements and I was not at all careful about what I ate. My diary is open if you are curious.

A lot of junk food marketed towards vegans, like energy bars and meat replacements, are very high in protein. Vegans eat regular junk food, too, like potato chips and pretzels. They also have protein in them!

Proteins are the basic building blocks of all life. If it was once alive, it has protein in it. You'd have to really be trying hard to not get enough protein on a vegan diet. Severe calorie restriction, or cutting out too many foods (esp. grains and legumes) would get you there, but that's about it.