What diet should I try?

Options
I am wondering if I should try a preprescribed diet beyond my ever effective guideline of "just eat better"!!!

What are you guys trying and how does it work for you? Are you seeing results? Do you feel hungry?

I tried South Beach once and I felt like I was PMSing 3 weeks straight. No thanks!

I am considering the zone diet because it seems to make sense to me... But I never met anyone who tried it

Part of me is also thinking all I need to do is focus on eating whole, healthy foods, avoid processed stuff and try to only do rich grains like quinoa and barley over rice and pastas. Just keeping that in mind while meeting MFP goals might be enough!!

Any input or experiences are appreciated!,

Replies

• crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    I am not dieting. I am changing the way I eat. Less sugar, less sodium, more whole foods, fish, turkey, more legumes. Fewer processed foods. It takes more time than just grabbing a box of stuff and making it, but it is better for me in the long run.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I should try a preprescribed diet beyond my ever effective guideline of "just eat better"!!!

What are you guys trying and how does it work for you? Are you seeing results? Do you feel hungry?

I tried South Beach once and I felt like I was PMSing 3 weeks straight. No thanks!

I am considering the zone diet because it seems to make sense to me... But I never met anyone who tried it

Part of me is also thinking all I need to do is focus on eating whole, healthy foods, avoid processed stuff and try to only do rich grains like quinoa and barley over rice and pastas. Just keeping that in mind while meeting MFP goals might be enough!!

Any input or experiences are appreciated!,

My opinion is that you should set up reasonably intelligent calorie and nutrient goals and hit them using foods you enjoy. Within that framework I would also:

a) Try to eat "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods.
    b) Exercise a few times per week.

And I would not complicate it beyond that.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. Just change your eating habits, eat healthier foods - not a bunch of junk and fast food. Slow and steady is best.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    If you have yo-yo'd on again then off again then my suggestion is IIFYM. (If it fits your macros). It basically allows you to eat whatever (no low carb, clean only, etc. restrictions) as long as you stay in your macros.

The below thread gives you all you need to know to be successful. It's not a "quick fix." Its just a reasonable philosophy regarding losing weight. As you see more and more success you can choose to "clean" up your diet or not.... it all depends on your goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable and safe calorie goal (best method I've found for that so far is here:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0) , then start tracking your calories carefully.

You'll find healthy whole foods start to creep in and crowd out the junk over time, simply because they will help you stay satisfied and reach your goals.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    If you have yo-yo'd on again then off again then my suggestion is IIFYM. (If it fits your macros). It basically allows you to eat whatever (no low carb, clean only, etc. restrictions) as long as you stay in your macros.

The below thread gives you all you need to know to be successful. It's not a "quick fix." Its just a reasonable philosophy regarding losing weight. As you see more and more success you can choose to "clean" up your diet or not.... it all depends on your goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

That's the old one, i updated the new one.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Sorry I grabbed it off my history. thanks.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    you can check out these two blogs for my diet journeys
    The first is the Dukan Diet (lost 40 lbs) www.me-on-dukan.blogspot.com
    The second is my current diet blog and the truth on health www.tobecrude.wordpress.com/

Whatever you do, try to cut out all processed food, refined sugars and gluten
    Good luck!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The "eat less, move more" diet. Eat at a deficit, but get sufficient calories. Meet your macros. Protein, veggies, and water will keep you full, so incorporate a lot of those things. Work out. You'll lose weight on a diet plan, but what happens when you go off of it? What healthy living habits have you learned from it?
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Everyone is on a diet... your diet is what you eat..:laugh: Change your diet to something you and your body can live with the rest of your life!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options

^ This exactly! It's not about "dieting," since most people think of a "diet" as something you eventually stop doing. I think it's best to change your eating habits for the better in a more permanent way, something you can sustain long-term which will allow you to be healthy and maintain your desired weight. I have been down the diet road before and seen the experiences of others many times and believe it can be much easier and much more effective to change your overall lifestyle instead.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    No diet here. Just counting my calories/carbs etc since I started here in June. Most days no, I'm not hungry.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Nutrisystem helped me simply by giving me tools to eat healthy. Eventually I weaned off of it and now I eat clean on my own. Nobody created my diet. Through a lot of trial and error, I found macros that work for me, for what I am trying to achieve.

It's all about a healthy lifestyle. There will not be on diet that is best for everyone, but there is one (or maybe a few) that are best for you. And like everyone said before, you can't think of it like a diet. You have to think consciously about what you are putting in your mouth. Do you really want to consume that food? Look at the nutrition. Does that fit your goals? If not, why do you want it? What is it about that food that makes you crave it? Most likely it's psychological. Food shouldn't be psychological. It should be biological. Sustaining, enriching, and enjoyable both while you are eating it and after consuming it (though I guess that's pretty psychological right there).
  • vanderlogt17
    Options
    you can check out these two blogs for my diet journeys
    The first is the Dukan Diet (lost 40 lbs) www.me-on-dukan.blogspot.com
    The second is my current diet blog and the truth on health www.tobecrude.wordpress.com/

Whatever you do, try to cut out all processed food, refined sugars and gluten
    Good luck!

You don't need to remove gluten, unless you are gluten-intolerant or have celiac disease. A lot of celebrities endorse this, but sometimes gluten free foods have even more calories than their "normal" counterparts. Whole wheat is GOOD for you, as well! In my opinion, the best way to do it is just simply follow your calorie needs on mfp. You don't have to even stop eating chocolate! Just fit it in if its your treat, like mine!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Eats gluten, some processed foods and refined sugars. :bigsmile:

And follows the advice for setting calorie and macro goals found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Good stuff - been working great for me for over a year, losing fat, inches and pounds and feeling fantastic.
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents - Start off with simply creating a caloric deficit but eating better and moving more. Once the pounds start coming off and you are rolling along, there will be time to change up what you are doing and work out what feels best for you and your body. Just start and stick to it and you will be you'll be working towards your goal in no time.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    For me it isnt a diet. It is a new relationship with food. I am learning to enjoy healthier choices, and developing a more normal eating pattern. Food is no longer a reward or something to be used for comfort. I simply eat at a deficit, make sure I am getting a good amount of protein (at least around 100 gms a day if I can) and I exercise. Pretty simple, but effective :) And as a plus...aerobics are good fat burners and all...but you might consider lifting weight...as heavy as you can work up to. You are not going o bulk up but building strong, lean muscle actually allows your body to burn fat more effectively.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat less and move more the weight will come off. It will stay off it you make it part of your lifestyle. Good luck!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i also vote for "eat at a caloric deficit, move your body more" plan.

for me, lots and lots of veggies, and cutting out excess carbs helps me stay under my goal. (im not saying low carb necessarily, but high calorie/low nutrient stuff like bagels and fluffy breads aren't worth the space in my daily caloric budget, so I save that for special days, or when I'm hiking up a mountain)
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit one...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know you but thank you for putting your trust in my opinion with something so important as what diet you should choose! I have no idea what foods you like to eat, or how much of them you want to eat, but despite that, I think you should be... *rolls 2D10* ... Vegan! They seem like a friendly bunch, and you seem like you'd fit in there. I don't think I could ever be a vegan myself, but you never know, right? Give it a shot, and see how it goes! Good luck!