Need fast advice

Options
I gained 30 lbs in 3 months in 2010 when I took a hiatus from going to the gym after college, moving and starting a new job.
For the past 2 years, I've been going to the gym regularly and eating healthily. I also live in the city and have a puppy so I walk everywhere and a lot.

I haven't lost a single pound in 2 years. I just keep gaining.

For 4 months, I've been upping my workouts (I have a heart rate monitor) to an hour plus in the morning before work I burn anywhere from 400-900 cals. and I've been netting around 1200 cal (eating back cal) I recently upped my calories slightly, because I was told that was probably why I wasn't losing weight. But that isn't working for me. Because I keep losing and gaining the same pound.

Bottom line: I am going toJamaica in a month and want to lose maximum weight in that time. I have been actively trying for 4 months now to get ready for this trip to no avail.

What should I do differently to speed up the process. I don't want to risk eating more and gaining more weight. I've been playing this game for years, so please don't tell me to be patient. If it hasn't happened yet, then I am obviously doing something wrong. Literally not a single pound in years. I am 5'2 155.6 lbs and 24 year old female.

I use a food scale
I have a HRM
I've had my thyroid checked and it was fine
Also my diary is public but may look funny because I changed the times recently to fit my schedule and that screwed up all my past entries.

I Just need real advice because I am extremely discouraged.

Replies

• roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Quit eating back your exercise calories. I've honestly never understood that theory. It's only valid if you want to maintain (which is exactly what you're doing). I didn't look at your food diary, but make sure your carbs are less than 100 grams per day (even better would be less than 60).
  • mouseketeer
    Options
    If you're at 1200 cals a day, eat those and only eat a third to half of exercise cals. So if you burn 400 cals, eat about 1400 for your daily total. If thats not what you're already doing i hope it may help. Try upping your protein intake and cutting the carbs and sugar intake. Some people say a calorie is a calorie but they are not created equally. Enjoy your vacation and be you,knowing you are working on it.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also wondered if you were eating too much or a combination of that and not enough of the right kind of exercise. I have much more weight to lose than you and I eat quite a few less calories so that I can lose 2 lbs a week, and I never eat back my exercise calories. Also, I couldn't tell if you were low-carbing it, but if you are then your carbs are too high. If you are not following a low carb diet, then you should lower your fat intake because it is way too high. If you were low carbing it then it is expected that you might have a higher fat intake because of the higher amount of cheese and meats that you might consume. Also, I would hate to see you set yourself up for failure; 1 month isn't giving yourself enough time to take the weight off unless you are talking 8 lbs or so to lose and even then that's hard work. I'm by no means an expert at this...just trying to be helpful. Good luck to you.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I commend your body's ability to maintain homeostasis in spite of all your best efforts. ;)

Here are a couple of terms I've heard floating around that might be helpful for you:

Calorie Cycling
    Intermittent Fasting
    Strength Training
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and out of the past seven days, you are over on calories five. You need to be eating at a deficit to loose weight. So stop eating all your exercise calories back, or exercise some more. Also, your HRM will only be accurate for cardio activities. If you are wearing it while doing strength training, you should chop your calorie burn in half.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Do not listen to those saying you are eating too much. Find out your BMR (minimum calories you need to function) & TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). I'm guessing your BMR will be at least 1500. You should at least net more then that amount. For those that said they are eating 1200-1400 & burning say 400, that means their net is 800 - 1000 calories - way to low.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    You may very well be overestimating your calorie burns from exercise. Try eating half the calories back just in case.
  • cfamigl1
    cfamigl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That's was my real question: eat back exercise calories yes or no? I always see people here saying to eat more and eat back all of the exercise calories, but honestly - it's a challenge. I would rather not eat them all back. I feel like I have to stuff my face. But everyone on these boards seem to think if you don't eat them back, you won't lose weight. Just not sure what to believe.

Also - I don't eat bread. I'm mostly gluten free. So i tend to be pretty low carb with the exception of fruit.
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    You know you might take a look at the Virgin Diet, it is a diet recommended for people with food allergies. I read a blurb on it this morning in fact that caught my eye. I've been having a hard time losing weight too. For the fellow up above who wrote you eat too many calories, I challenge him one on one. I burn on average of 800 calories a day 6 days a week and I consume less than 1500 a day. My problem is hormonal and I am working with a doctor on it. For the OP, check the Virgin diet on and feel free to add me as a friend, for nothing less than having a pal whose weight loss doesn't ever go up or down!
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Thanks. That's was my real question: eat back exercise calories yes or no? I always see people here saying to eat more and eat back all of the exercise calories, but honestly - it's a challenge. I would rather not eat them all back. I feel like I have to stuff my face. But everyone on these boards seem to think if you don't eat them back, you won't lose weight. Just not sure what to believe.

Also - I don't eat bread. I'm mostly gluten free. So i tend to be pretty low carb with the exception of fruit.

I think the most important thing is to eat when your hungry to keep up your metabolism. Do drink a glass of water before you eat but don't be afraid to eat.
  • LadyRuhon
    LadyRuhon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten back exercise calories and don't know if it is necessary or not. My recommendation is simply to make sure you are taking rest days from exercise, that you are sleeping enough, and drinking enough water.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood it much either. The closest person to explain it where I somewhat understood it was Pu. But I was recently given a website that I read that helped and I could calculate things.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I don't know how to make it clickable yet....

Hope this helps some.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do eat some of my exercise calories back and average 1 # weight loss per week, which is what I want and its working for me. If this average changes, I will change what Im doing. One of my favorite expressions is: "Definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result"s.

When I looked at your food diary, over the past week, you are eating all of them back and then some, on quite a few days. I would start with staying out of the "red" See what happens and go from there. You will have to play around with what you eat, maybe when (do you eat right before you go to bed etc) and what you eat and then possibly modify your exercise routine. You will get hundreds of different responses to the "exercise eat back calories" question, not "everyone" is going to tell you to eat back your calories, some do, some don't. MFP is a great website, but, its not perfect, no website is. Its based on valid nutritional data, but, it's not set in stone. Lot depends on genetics, health, age, etc etc All MFP can do is utilize all of the information and basically spit out averages, just like all the rest of the websites. You just have to try on what fits the best.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My advice? Your calories dont really look that bad...you are pretty far over in fat most days though. I would calculate out your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a 15% deficit from there and do not eat back your exercise calories. They will already be factored in. Try http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Paula_22
    Paula_22 Posts: 8
    Options
    It can be hard to maintain your focus over the long term, especially if you’re trying to lose a lot of weight. Choose significant milestones that you’ll reach over the next couple of years: birthdays, weddings, anniversaries and vacations are good choices. Set realistic goals for the amount of weight you’d like to lose before you reach each milestone. This can help make your overall weight loss goal less intimidating by breaking it up into a series of smaller goals. You can also use this strategy to maintain your weight loss once you’ve reached your target weight.
    Of course, this is easier if you live alone. But if you can control the groceries that get bought, don’t buy any junk food. If there’s none in the house, there’s nothing to tempt you when you start craving sugary things. Try to avoid going to the supermarket when you’re hungry- you’ll be far more easily persuaded by things you see browsing the aisles.
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What worked for me the best and quickly is maintaining a 40% Carb 30% Protein and 30% fat intake daily....use protein supplements if necessary. If you have to go over...go over on protein and then carbs..fat last....Balancing your diet within your caloric intake is KEY
  • Jude_V
    Jude_V Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had a look at the last few days of your diary and I would say you eat a lot of fat and sugar - I mean as a percentage of your diet. I also notice you eat a lot of cheese and fatty meats - burgers, pork etc.

I would look at larger portions of green and leafy vegetables - and beans occasionally instead of meat. If you can't do without cheese, buy the strongest cheese you can stand to eat and grate just a few shreds onto your salads or other meals.

How about swapping that peanut butter bar thingy for a bowl of porridge? You are likely to find you eat less at breakfast and you will only need a very small bowl for a pre-gym set you up...

Hope this helps...I do sympathise with your stasis - I'd also reiterate some of the other advice about your calorie intake - mine was more of a nutritional point of view

J
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    These boards are full of "know it alls" so dont worry about following what they all say is right because one shoe doesnt fit all...

honestly eat when you are hungry. you can do all the online calculations you want but it is just an estimate. dont over feed your body if it isnt asking for it. Unless you really go see a dietician who can tell you your BMR and TDEE play around with it and see where you eat that sustains energy and you lose. so go down your calories for a bit and if doesnt help go up. also I would try to eat more veggies from looking at your diary...i know when i eat more veggies i tend to see more loss than when i ditch them for a week

good luck to you. listen to your body it will tell you what it wants.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Quit eating back your exercise calories. I've honestly never understood that theory. It's only valid if you want to maintain (which is exactly what you're doing). I didn't look at your food diary, but make sure your carbs are less than 100 grams per day (even better would be less than 60).
    WHY do people make these stupid, irresponsible and reckless posts? If she doesn't NET 1200, of course she needs to eat her exercise calories back. Otherwise, her body doesn't run correctly and it will be counter productive to her weight loss. Less than 60g of carbs a day? What should she eat instead, dust? There is nothing wrong with carbs as long as they are mainly complex. They are the bodies main source of energy. I wish people wouldn't give crap advice and pass it off as gospel.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You're not logging any water.