Looking for advice...

Options
Completed my first night at my new job at the Aafes gas station; 3rd shift is really something to get used to especially trying to fix my sleep scheduling. Not sure how to properly log my food and such when "my day" starts in the evening and ends in the next morning :/ ....Any advice??? And what helps you fall asleep when it's bright out?

Replies

• mp0523
    mp0523 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Working any kind of swing/third shift is tough. I worked morning watch (third shift) for the better part of 12 years. Your body just never seems to fully adjust to the off hours, and if you try to resume a "normal" schedule on your off days it gets even worse. That being said you meet the more interesting members of society over night. Eventually you will adjust to the odd hours (never fully adjusted-but tolerable). I have always logged my first meal of the day after waking up as breakfast--even if it was at 6 P.M. I found that working out is even more important when your body is battling the odd hours.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Completed my first night at my new job at the Aafes gas station; 3rd shift is really something to get used to especially trying to fix my sleep scheduling. Not sure how to properly log my food and such when "my day" starts in the evening and ends in the next morning :/ ....Any advice??? And what helps you fall asleep when it's bright out?

Meal 1
    snack
    Meal 2
    snack
    Meal 3
    snack
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Disregard the breaskfast lunch and dinner aspect, and just track your food. Put your meals in one of those areas and you should be okay. 3rd shift is tough.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Also - falling asleep is easier with a blindfold. If that still doesn't work, take some Benadryl. You'll be out in 30 minutes for at least 4 hours. You'll get used to it after about 2-3 weeks and it will all be easier
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I worked third shift a bit and I got some black paper to cover the windows in my bedroom and blackout curtains so it's like completely dark in my room anytime of day. The paper is behind the blinds so you can't tell and then curtains. Not sure about logging your calories. I tended to eat my larger meal before I went to work and just a snack on my "lunch break". I guess as long as you log the same way each day it should even out
  • circesfire
    Options
    I work rotating 12 hour shifts and always count my meals from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed, even if it is technically the next morning. I also make my room as dark as possible and sleep with a sleeping mask. Sleeping with a sleeping mask took some getting used to for me, but I finally found a really nice comfortable one and it really helps!
  • antdogs
    antdogs Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i worked night shift and i just logged it as meals i ate before i slept and when i woke up weird lol thats how i set it up lol
  • JraeL91
    JraeL91 Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I appreciate the help. It was much needed. :D
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just changed my categories to blocks of time instead of meal names. Sometimes it looks like I eat around the clock...because sometimes I do! I work 12 hour night shifts.
  • LadyRuhon
    LadyRuhon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work nights also, but only Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The other 4 days I'm a "normal" day-shift type person. I count my days from midnight to midnight and just kinda put whatever I'm eating in the next open spot on my log. I have also found that putting black (yard/leaf style) garbage bags between my blinds and curtains, the room is cheaply blacked out (instead of spending $40 for each set of black out curtains...)