Anyone else on second shift? or pulling 40+ hours a week?

Options
Right now I am crunched for time and do about (2) 10 minute miles with a 2.5 minute warm up walk and cool down walk for a total of a 25 minute workout before work. Now I am on 2nd shift and have had a such hard time with my workouts and losing weight since getting switched. Hopefully only a week or two longer! We are also on mandatory OT, so I work 1:00 to 11:30 Monday through Friday. My weight loss has stalled. I have even gained a few pounds back. I stay within my calorie range, but leave enough to be able to eat after work because I am always starved. I am forced to bring lunch and dinner to work. I am getting frustrated with having to cut my workouts short, even dropped back to 4 days a week!

So my question is: how do you do it and not go insane? Any tips for eating at work when everything has to fit into a lunch box?

Replies

• leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work rotating 12 hour shifts (days,nights,day,etc.) I had the same problem for a while then I just realized that I just had to vary my workout times. It was had at first but I got used to it. I wish I had better advice...as far as eating...fruit,sliced veggies,granola bars,yogurt
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    I too work 2nd shift. Does anyone have any advice for late night eating? I am starved when I get home, the family calls me the "white tornado!" As for exercise, I always do it before work, an hour or two before I go in, and I have so much energy, it gets me through a busy shift. Try to set your alarm clock, and schedule your exercise. See if you have more energy if you can get a good work out in. Good luck!
  • signchik
    signchik Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm juggling 3-4 jobs depending on my census job. As far as work outs. When I'm feeling like a blob I do isometrics. Just hold in the stomach for a 10 count over and over. Or clench the glutes. Whatever I think of. Meals in a lunchbox, sometimes I go to Trader Joe's and get the whole turkey breast. Slice for sandwiches or chunk for finger food. Add some tomatoes or other veggies and fruit. And like the other poster said, yogurt, granola bars, Reduced Fat Triscuits and laughing cow cheese is a current favorite. In a crunch I'll work on a Clif Bar.
  • Caityrose
    Caityrose Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work six days in a row-all day so I feel your pain. I try to do something-like get up an hour earlier-go running or do a workout, and by the time I shower and get ready- I'm awake and ready for the day and already forgotten that I worked out. I don't have much motivation to work out when I get back though.
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey Sorry would have responded sooner but well I was at work ;) I try to keep myself honest by planning out the meal then going so far to log the meal so i know exactly where i will stand by days end. Plus if you find yourself in starvation mode after that you can treat yourself with a no fat pudding cup or other such goodie.

Take care,

Dustin
  • XoXoCountryGalXoXo
    XoXoCountryGalXoXo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful answers!!