Carb cycling? Zig zag?

Options
Anybody have any experience with and/or feedback on carb cycling? Or zig zag I've seen it called sometimes. I know low carbing is not very healthy for a long period of time since it puts your body into a catabolic state and breaks down muscles, puts your body in ketosis etc but what about the 3 day low carb/ 1 or 2 day regular carbs? Or is it an unhealthy approach even short term? I'm debating trying it but would love to hear some feedback or info from anyone who's done this? Especially for when you hit a plateau or weight loss slowed... It seems I've been losing 2 pounds religiously up until the last couple weeks it's tapered. Wondering if it's worth giving it a try to tackle those stubborn pounds.. But DEFINATELY don't want to lose muscle or strength.

Would love to hear any advice, opinions, pros/cons!!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any experience with and/or feedback on carb cycling? Or zig zag I've seen it called sometimes. I know low carbing is not very healthy for a long period of time since it puts your body into a catabolic state and breaks down muscles, puts your body in ketosis
    Not true. Ketosis is what prevents catabolism since your body switches over to burning fats instead of looking for glycogen.
  • Miss_Leez
    Miss_Leez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Have you done it? Any feedback?
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 2 week Atkins induction. The big thing I've noticed is that I have less appetite. I think it would work to break a plateau.

I generally cycle my calories anyway. I'm not sure if carb cycling within the same week or other short period of time would be beneficial but I know some people swear by it. I think it takes a few days to get into ketosis so doing a few days and then going back to carbs seems counterproductive.

I say try it to see what happens.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 2 week Atkins induction. The big thing I've noticed is that I have less appetite. I think it would work to break a plateau.

I generally cycle my calories anyway. I'm not sure if carb cycling within the same week or other short period of time would be beneficial but I know some people swear by it. I think it takes a few days to get into ketosis so doing a few days and then going back to carbs seems counterproductive.

I say try it to see what happens.

It does take a few days to get into ketosis so you are right about it seeming counterproductive. I always feel better counting carbs rather than calories. I don't have the cravings I have counting calories. It makes me feel healthier and I have more energy.

I'm on the two week induction to Atkins. Love it.
  • casccw
    casccw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi yes I have a lot of experience with ketosis and carb/calorie cycling to get lean for an up coming figure show. The science is solid and body builders have been doing it to cut fat for years. I stick to a 3 low /no carb and 1day high carb. The cardio has to be high intensity intervals to get the best burn rate I find . I'm currently 3 weeks out from show and am using this method in my last month of prep since I plateaued on ketosis.
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    Done it but in the end it doesn't work for me, feeling-fit wise. It did bring me down from 17% to 13% bf but on the low/no-days I felt like crap, no energy, no strength, training sucked. On the high-days I felt great but the next day the bloating was enormous.
    I guess it has something to do with how my body deals with carbs. I do way better on moderate amounds (100gr-150gr) every day.

Just give it a go for a few weeks and see what happens :)