Any Native American success stories?

Options
iorahkwano
iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
I saw that there were some posts specifically asking for African-American women, Asians & other groups that don't get represented around here much. It would be interesting to see others who face similar challenges, have a similar body type or would just like some inspiration :) I'll start...

Kwe kwe! Kanien'keháka í:ke's, wake'nhehsíio tánon' Kanatia kí:teron. Tewáshen kaié:ri na'tewakohseriiá:kon. Katia'tahkariióstha wakon'wéskwani tánon' softball tekathénno'ks!

(Hi! I am Mohawk, snipe clan, and I live in Canada. I am 24 years old. I enjoy working out and I play softball!)

My transformation is still in progress. I am 5'7"...
May 2012- 144lbs (Slim but a bit flabby)
Dec 2012- 136lbs (Slimmed down more, but not very toned)
Mar 2013- 148lbs (Put on muscle doing Stronglifts & eating more)

Now that I've put on muscle, I'm planning to lower my body fat. Here's my progress so far...

May 2012 - 144lbs (Skinny-fat)
photo-18.jpg

Dec 2012 - 136lbs (Slim, but not much muscle/firmness!)
photo-19.jpg

March 2013 - 148lbs (Aftering putting on 11lbs of muscle)
image.jpg

Replies

• KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    She:kon! I've posted my success story before, but here is my contribution to fellow Natives looking for inspiration. I started my journey last year in January. I was carrying around 160 lbs on my small, 5'1" frame. I had struggled with severe self-esteem issues since I started putting on weight when I was around 12 year old. I had tried to lose weight many times before, but something in my head clicked in 2012 and I knew that that would be the year I was going to follow through to the end. And I did. I lost 51 lbs in 365 days of portion control, reduction in junk food, increase in fruits and veggies, and steady cardio workouts 3-5 times per week. I switched up my routine every few months to shock my body and break through plateaus. I started with kickboxing, switched to running and biking, and then added Metabolic Resistance Training.

Today I am on a different path looking to increase my lean muscle mass by following the StrongLifts 5x5 program. I have severely cut down on cardio and greatly increase my calories to maximize my gains. I plan to switch over to the cutting phase in the next 4 weeks and hope to see some awesome definition in my body.

May 2011; January 4, 2013
    Total of 51 lbs lost in one year
    [img]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Kitty-Violet/Weight Loss/Comparison6web_zps9c64870f.jpg[/img]

April 2010; January 4, 2013
    Total of 51 lbs lost in one year
    [img]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Kitty-Violet/Weight Loss/Comparison1web_zps173821c0.jpg[/img]

End of January 2013
    My "before" photos for StrongLifts 5x5 progress. I still have 4 weeks to go.
    [img]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Kitty-Violet/Weight Loss/StrongLiftsWeek1-2_zpsc54e8cee.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q758/Kitty-Violet/Weight Loss/StrongLiftsWeek1_zpsb1c69187.jpg[/img]
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Bump
  • iorahkwano
    Options
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm 1/8 Mohawk ( which probably sooo doesn't count! )

Funny but I've been asked a lot more if I have Native blood since I've been losing weight. I can see that I have grandmother's high cheekbones which I never noticed before.

You gals look gorgeous! Great work!
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Bump...
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    :(
  • kajune16th
    Options
    bump
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    You guys look awesome I am part Cherokee Ive had total strangers come up to me and ask if im part Indian because of my high cheek bone lol
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Nice work guys!! Big changes
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and I am Chippewa, I live in Iowa but our reservation is located at Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin. I have lost 55 lbs. in the last 4 months but have been on this journey for quite some time now :)

34fdsoo.jpg

157iv7.jpg
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hellllllo!
    I'm Carrier nation (Dakelh) from northern BC, Canada!
    No pictures to post, but...
    5'6"
    SW- 180
    CW- 147
    GW- 125-130

:) Feel Free to Add
  • PHr34k0wt
    PHr34k0wt Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and I am Chippewa, I live in Iowa but our reservation is located at Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin. I have lost 55 lbs. in the last 4 months but have been on this journey for quite some time now :)

34fdsoo.jpg

157iv7.jpg

also, DAYUM! You look like a totally different person, good job!
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    My brother, Róteweh, who is 5'11" & went from 260 to 230lbs

photo.jpg
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 1/8 Cherokee. Not sure how to post pics on here, but I have a comparison shot in my pictures on my profile.
  • bobovaldez14
    bobovaldez14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    well i really dont have any pictures on here yet but i am southern Ute ....my start weight was 220 and i am now down to 190:smile:
  • futureshopaholic
    futureshopaholic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello! :)
    I'm Okanagan and I'm from Okanagan region in British Columbia. I don't have a success story YET! I'm just starting my journey. I have hit a major break through though! I didn't want to log for today because I thought I did really bad. I ate whatever I liked and only ate 1,171 calories! (That's so much better than when I'm concerned about my diet) I'm so excited about that! I ate all the delicious foods I wanted and I made smart choices. So I'm really enjoying this healthy lifestyle now!

Way to go to all my brothers and sisters!
    We can do this! :)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have no Native blood, but my grandmother lived and worked very closely with the Navajo people in New Mexico when I was little. I used to tell people I was Navajo, even though I had blonde hair and grey-blue eyes!

Congratulations to all of you who have lost weight! Lorah and Kitty, you are both gorgeous! I am also very impressed that you speak your native language, Lorah. I have no idea how it is for the Cherokee, but not very many Navajo youth seem to speak their language anymore.

Anyway, I am going to get my white butt out of your thread now. Just wanted to chime in that you are all beautiful!
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So nice to see these postings!
    I'm Dakota from the Lake Traverse Reservation, Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, South Dakota. I have restarted my weight loss journey in 2011, quit/gave up in 2012 after I lost 50lbs, gained back 10 lbs and then recently restarted my weight loss again a month ago. I have set my goal at 150 lbs but have broken it up into mini goals of 10 lbs at a time so it don't feel like i have a whole lot to lose.
    I don't know how to post pics on the message boards.

I do want to say Congrats to all of you! You look great in your before and after pics. :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Maidu. I'm from Oregon, but live abroad these days.

I've lost about 60 pounds since July 2012, when I recommitted myself to getting healthy. My highest weight from a couple years prior was 265, but I started at 235 last July. I have PCOS and other annoying things, but am changing all that stuff slowly but surely. I'm not a total success story yet, but I'm working on it!

I don't have any progress pics just now. I do have a photo from last summer that is still in my camera--I've never even uploaded it as I really hated to see full length photos of myself. I'll take another over this weekend and perhaps then I can get a little progress montage started. It really does help to look at photos to see changes--I'm always telling people that, but I don't always practice what I preach. :ohwell:
  • thinagain2014
    thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!