Do you eat your BMR?

Options
OK, according to BMR calculators like the one here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html
I should be eating 2300-2500 calories a day to maintain my weight based on my activity level. However, I've been eating 1500-1800 since I reached my goal weight last year, I've been eating clean and working out every day and I've still struggled to maintain my weight.

Do you find that your BMR is accurate for you? Are you able to eat as many calories as the calculator suggests and maintain your weight?

EDIT: I mean my TDEE I guess. My BMR was around 1800. My question remains the same-- are you guys able to eat at your TDEE/BMR and maintain your weight?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Look up the difference between TDEE and BMR. That will help.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    No, I found that particular calculator gave me too high a TDEE. It does say that it's not accurate in the very overweight.

Have you tried http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ ?
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your TDEE in order to maintain your weight. If you eat below your TDEE, you will lose weight. If you're gaining weight at 1800 calories then your TDEE is not 2300-2500.

Are you maybe under estimating your calories eaten or over estimating your exercise calories?

(edited because my computer decided to post before I was done typing!)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    I tried my numbers in that specific calculator and it gave me my TDEE, not my BMR.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You must be talking about TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), your bmr (base metabolic rate) is based on the cals your body needs just to survive not including any activity. There is no way your bmr is even close to 2500, you'd have to be like close to 300 lbs and a male.
  • Paula_22
    Paula_22 Posts: 8
    Options
    i always try to. When these variables are combined based on your lifestyle you can fairly accurately calculate the total number of daily calories required to maintain your current weight. Once you’ve calculated your maintenance calories you’re able to tailor a nutritional & fitness program specific to your goals. Should you wish to increase in weight, simply consume more calories than your TDEE. You wish to lose weight consume less calories than your TDEE.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is likely to be lower than estimated due to having lost weight in which you had a calorie defieciency for a long period of time and lost lbm. The way to get it up there is to start lifting weights to gain muscle and increase your calories slowly, maybe 100 per week.