Sit ups

Options
Hi

I need an alternative to sit ups, due to an accident years ago I chipped my Coccyx and every time I do sit ups I end up with friction burn on the bottom of my spine. I have tried padding etc but it still happens

Replies

• bsymonds
    bsymonds Posts: 12
    Options
    Hey :)
    Sometimes I get really bad back pain from doing them on the ground, when that happens I use an Exercise ball.
    I'm not sure if you can use one or not in your case but it definitely feels more comfortable and there's no hard surfaces.
  • BonnieFife
    BonnieFife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Why not try Mountain Climbers, standing pikes, oblique twists, none of these are lying down on your back like in a sit up position & all of them will work your abs

Mountain climbers ~ your planked out in a press up position, bring one leg up so your knee is up by your stomach, you can either alternate legs with step touch or go faster.

Standing Pikes ~ Standing up raise up your arms, bring your arms down while raising you leg straight, as high as you can , so that your fingers are touching toes or as far as you can reach, repeat with other leg

oblique twists ~ Back in planked out position as with press up, now you bring your leg up knee bent and twist (twisting from the hips& waist) twist it over towards your armpit direction and back down to straight leg, alternate the legs

Ive explained the best i can, all of these moves are on Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I have a problem with sit ups due to me having a slight curve in at the bottom of my back which causes me to move when i do them causing friction, but i can do all of these no problem & they work :)
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Try doing steam engines. They are alot like a bicycle sit-up except your standing and you raise your knee up and with your hands behind your head you bend forward with opposite elbow and touch your knee. Alternate your knee and elbow touches. This should take some pain from your spine and gives you a great ab and oblique workout.

Another thing to try is to remain in the plank position for a couple of minutes than repeat.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    tbh isometric core work is more useful than eccentric/concentric anyway, so planks are probably the way to go if you're just getting started training the muscles.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your valuable advise and I will try them, as per usual MFP us truly amazing and supportive xx