Plateau Advice

Options
I've been stuck at 42 lbs lost for about 3 weeks.
Any advice on kick starting the metabolism?

I'm 42 lbs into a 68 lb goal. So close!

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your diary. How about a few days at maintenance?
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i've found good luck with having a couple days with about 3k calories and no exercise (and by a couple i mean two) and then getting back to being strict on calories and exercising

that has helped me get over plateaus so far and in the past
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    I hope never to hit a plateau; in anycase I have read that if you hit a plateau it is time to increase your workout (calories burned). A heavier person burns more calories than a lighter one, so you are now lighter than before, so it makes sense that you need to increase your workout. Keep us posted :)
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well... different for everyone of course. I was stalled for 4 mos. So, I went drastic... or felt drastic at first.
    I cut out dairy... and grains and fruit(or limited). And of course sugar.
    Trying a cyclical Keto... along with a Intermittent Fast based off of the the Bulletproof fasting. (google... bulletproof fasting and cyclical keto... as well as leangains.com) But not exact in following it all cuz I am poor. Have to make it work for me.
    I also started doin sprint(or semi fast run LOL) intervals. (google -Sprint 8)
    Basically your warm up on elliptical or treadmill... then go max effort for 30 sec and recover 90 secs. And repeat 8 times as many as you can. takes about 20 mins.
    You have to change things up.... shock your body...
    I have also lost 42 and have about 60 to go. So I feel ya buddy.
    Started the current regime last friday.. and as of this am I have lost 4.8lbs... in six days.
    Don't know what to expect personally... but have heard other ppl have amazin result. A pal of mine lost 17lbs since March 15.
    Give it a try! And stick with it ... even though it is tough...Im here for ya!
    Best wishes.
  • deathisvictory
    deathisvictory Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing your diary. How about a few days at maintenance?

My diary is public.
  • deathisvictory
    Options
    I hope never to hit a plateau; in anycase I have read that if you hit a plateau it is time to increase your workout (calories burned). A heavier person burns more calories than a lighter one, so you are now lighter than before, so it makes sense that you need to increase your workout. Keep us posted :)

Good advice, I've doubled my cardio time recently. Maybe I need to increase to 3-4 days a week.
  • deathisvictory
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I need to rock n roll.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try reducing your calories by 100 a day and up your exercise to some high interval training for at least an hour a day.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Either eat at maintenance for a week or adjust your calories up or down by say 200 to see what effect it has, but give it a week or two.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Strength training with barbells
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    After my Plateau i realized that my daily caloric intake was at maintenance, so i readjusted my daily cal's and switched up my exercise program. For every 5 lb.'s we lose we should recalculate our numbers to adjust with our current weight. Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss.

Cheers:drinker:
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

My diary is public.

the diary is not open. Since you go at Gold's, do some of their classes. Do they have the muscle confusion? It is a great workout and many guys attend it at the Gold's I go. Kickboxing classes are also popular at mine. Just do different things. Also read the roadmap below for more ideas.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • sungod916
    sungod916 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you doubled your cardio without increasing the number of calories you ate, that may be what you've stopped losing weight.
    Your body slows the metabolism to adjust for the fact you're burning more energy than what you're eating.
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Sounds good! I have been working out every day and have recently increased my workout to 1hr 30 min; I am exhausted, but it will pay off! :) Again, keep us posted! :)