Diet Coke.

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
When I restarted my low carb diet in January I bought 8 cans of caffeine free Diet Coke, a drink I loved very much. That was intended to last me a week, until my next grocery delivery. I felt that I would depend heavily on those cans to see me through my no-sugar diet.

For some reason, they are still in my cupboard, unopened.

This hasn't been deliberate.

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to do the same :(
  • MOsborne05
    MOsborne05 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good job! I've found that once I cut it out, I don't crave it anymore and it is much easier to resist the temptation.
  • DeannaHizon
    Options
    Great job!!! I am a Diet Coke fanatic and have found that I am drinking less and less the longer I remain true to my lifestyle change. It isn't that I'm trying not to drink it, it's that I don't really want it! :) I went from about 5 or 6 a day to maybe 1 a day. That's a big deal for me. Good job!
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had to quit cold turkey but once I did, I haven't looked back.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    KEEP THEM THERE! Diet sodas are the worst. Water and Tea... now go forth! For non-sugar sweeteners use Stevia or Truvia. Even though they have Sucralose, Mio is great for flavoring your water.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dont touch diet cokes, never liked the taste, I solely drink water as have never liked tea or coffee either. Gets a bit boring at times but we keep a full fat coke in the fridge and I might have one glass a week if that.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    KEEP THEM THERE! Diet sodas are the worst. Water and Tea... now go forth! For non-sugar sweeteners use Stevia or Truvia. Even though they have Sucralose, Mio is great for flavoring your water.

Water, tea, and COFFEE go forth. Can't forget the coffee!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Great post. I used to drink 8-10 12oz diet cokes every day. I always had a diet coke somewhere close by. Even had a spot on my desk labeled for it (5S).

When I started a lower carb diet, they were allowed in moderation. I thought that would be an issue for me. But like you, I just stopped drinking them. I prefer water now. And I NEVER drank just water before. I haven't had a diet coke in months. Weird.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started boot camp at my gym two and a half weeks ago (almost 3 weeks), and I quit diet coke cold turkey that day. I was drinking 2 liters of diet coke while at work and then probably 1-3 cans while at home. That is a shocking amount of soda, IMO. I haven't had one since (even though I really want one).

Good job!
  • 366to266
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, folks.

I have a suspicion that, when (or if) I finally feel like one (perhaps when the weather is hot) I will find it nauseatingly sugary.

I am already finding milk and cream very sweet, when they used to taste bland and neutral.

So interesting the way the taste buds change!
  • a_lonewolf
    Options
    Good for you! I quit cold turkey. It was hard for a few days, but I wouldn't let it touch my lips anymore. I've been Diet Coke free before for months at a time, but I intend that this time will be permanent. I'm dedicated to clean eating and I DC is NOT clean. So happy to be free of that monster. All I drink is water, the kale smoothies I make in the morning, and one cup of coffee per day with a touch of unsweetened almond milk. I've also cut out my dependency on Splenda. I couldn't be happier and my body feels so much better.
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I love, love, love Diet Pepsi. If there's Diet Coke, I can pass it up no problem. I'm struggling to limit myself to one can/day. Some days I don't have any at all...not often, though. But there are certain foods where I just feel like I need a pop! LOL
    Jealous of your success! :)
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
    I used to buy Diet Coke buy the truckloads, and then like most starting a low carb diet, started weaning off little by little. And hardly drink it anymore (often I chose it when I go out with friends) and it does taste SUPER sugary to me now. I almost can;t tell the difference between diet and regular!
    I enjoy Mio or Crystal Light every once in a while in my water, but I am a water drinker to the max these days :flowerforyou:
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that going low-carb has an interesting way of killing the sugar cravings. It goes from being agony (withdrawal) to cut the sugar, to really - no big deal at all. It was a surprise to me, but a fantastic side-effect.
  • 366to266
    Options
    I'm finding that going low-carb has an interesting way of killing the sugar cravings. It goes from being agony (withdrawal) to cut the sugar, to really - no big deal at all. It was a surprise to me, but a fantastic side-effect.

Having chosen low carb quite a few times, I can attest that this is true. It IS hard for a few days -- but once you get over that hurdle, as time passes it just becomes easier and easier to live without bread, pizza, rice, fizzy drinks, sugar, ice cream etc. They end up being rather like cigarettes are for an ex-smoker. You know they exist, but they just aren't a part of your life any more.

My trouble is always that I am doing well, then something happens to make me go on a carb binge, and I become readdicted. Hence I weigh 341 pounds!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Not only did I manage to stop drinking Pepsi Max (from about 1 liter a day) nearly cold turkey (I finished my stash 1 glass a day at dinner, after that only when eating out 1 glass of Diet Coke/Pepsi, Coke Zero or Pepsi Max). But I find the stuff disgusting now. So stick with it, and in six months you might not even like it anymore.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 fountain diet coke (16oz) a day. There have been plenty of days I don't have one but I really enjoy the taste. We don't buy canned soda so there is never any in the house. I can't stand coffee or tea nor am I a big fan of water, although I have been drinking the recommended 8 glasses + of water a day. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself if you do have one though. Good luck!
  • briana0522
    briana0522 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just quit and already feel better so keep it up!! I replaced my diet coke with water with lemon. I bought a huge bag of lemons and put them in my fridge at work and when I normally would have my afternoon diet coke, I have lemon water instead. Great job!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke about a month and a half ago. I decided to cut out caffeine and artificial sweeteners to see if it helps cut down my migraines. I miss it, but it's nice not to have to feel like I have to drink something to wake me up or feel energized. I have a 6 pack in my fridge and sometimes it drives me crazy looking at it!
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    send them to me!!! Sorry, but diet coke is my one drug of choice that I can not give up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!