Running/Walking a 5k

Options
My husband and I are just beginning to get in shape, but I am interested in using this as a fitness goal for myself. I would like to start by walking a 5k and then by running one. How do you go about training to do this? Is there a certain time I should be hitting, walking-wise? Have you done a 5k and how was it?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There's a program called "couch to 5k" that is supposed to be excellent. Goal times are relative to what YOU want to accomplish, whether it is an 18, 24, or 36 minute time. There's a reason 5k's are also known as "fun runs" - because the point is to support a cause and enjoy the festivities and people.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    There is a C25K (couch to 5k) app you can do. It starts with walking / run intervals. I did my first 5k last year with run and walking and since then I have done about 5 others. I still run/walk them because other friends or coworkers have been doing them also and we go together. It is tons of fun! Good Luck!
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K (Couch to 5k). It's an app that will guide you through walking/running intervals.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did C25K before my first 5k. I could not run the whole thing, so I ran some and walked some. It's fine! Whatever your time is for your first 5k is something for you to strive to beat for the second one.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are just beginning to get in shape, but I am interested in using this as a fitness goal for myself. I would like to start by walking a 5k and then by running one. How do you go about training to do this? Is there a certain time I should be hitting, walking-wise? Have you done a 5k and how was it?

You will love it! The "Couch to 5K" program will help guide you in your training for sure! Definitely look into that :) If you walk about a 15 min mile it will take you a little over 45 minutes. There will be plenty of people walking the entire thing with you so don't be intimidated by the all the runners. You will love it!!! Just have fun :)
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've done the C25K and I ran a 5K at the end. It was one of the proudest moments of my life, having set a goal I didn't believe I could achieve and then doing it.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great tool to use when starting to run! It uses a run/walk method to build up the endurance. There are a bunch of great 5Ks out there! my favorite at the mud runs and obstacle courses :) oh and the ones that have beer at the end :drinker: The biggest thing is to have fun.

Feel free to add me. I am always loving new running friends!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For walking, you can just work on walking longer and longer distances until you reach 3.11 miles and then work on picking up your pace. For running, I agree that Couch to 5K is great and it's nice that there are apps you can use to keep you on track with it. Personally, I prefer to use a heart rate monitor and do walk/run intervals when my heart rate is in certain zones but that's just me.

Even though I was fairly small, I was super out of shape when I did a 5K and decided to walk it (June 2011). Now I'm signed up for my first 5K to run in June and an obstacle 5K in August. I could have progressed a lot faster but always thought I just wasn't made to run. Once I decided to prove myself wrong, I made a ton of progress :)
  • karine1000
    Options
    Hi!

Best tip I ever got was to learn how to breath during cardio. Take deep and steady breaths & it will keep your heart rate from sky rocketing. (fight the temptation to take shallow breaths /pant).

I went from only being able to jog for (barely) a minute to 10-15 minutes in a short period after learning how to breath properly.
  • ThisNewFitGirl
    ThisNewFitGirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    USE COUCH TO 5K!!! Sorry for the over enthusiasm but it is such a great program. I'm on week six and i'm already running the full 5K on my own.

If you cant get the app then try to start by walking 5 minutes then run 1 min walk 2 min run 1 min walk 2 min until you've reached 30 minutes. Then gradually work your way up to running for 2 and walking for 3 then running for 3 and walking for 4 and so on and so forth. Its much better than trying to do it all at once.