How to lose more than 1 pound

Options
I know I know, a 1 pound loss is better than gaining, but I just want to know what I need to do to lose more than .5 - 1 pound each week. I am fine with slow and steady progress, just wondering what I can do to improve. Thanks!
Height 5' 4"
CW 208.4

Replies

• upnorthmj77
    upnorthmj77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I'm in the same boat as you and my specs are very close to yours. Im curious about this issue as well. It can be quite discouraging at times, especially when youre trying really hard and being very consistant. Anyone else out there had/have the same issue or have any tips or suggestions?
  • Talkeetna2020
    Options
    The thing that I think works best is increasing water and dropping salt. Once I flushed out most of the salt I'd been eating, I felt a lot better and my clothes fit again.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I know I know, a 1 pound loss is better than gaining, but I just want to know what I need to do to lose more than .5 - 1 pound each week. I am fine with slow and steady progress, just wondering what I can do to improve. Thanks!
    Height 5' 4"
    CW 208.4

You don't need to do anything to improve, You're doing just fine. 1-2 lbs is a healthy steady rate and I would stick with that. But if you're adamant about losing more then adjust your calories, or try intermittent fasting.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    you could try cutting down on bread/rice/pasta/potatoes
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is closed, can't see. Are you just logging food and calories and eating at a defecit and focused on the nutrition side of things or are you actively working out at least a few days a week? If you are working out how often and what do your workouts look like?
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week (which is where the 1-2 pound guideline comes from).

Unfortunately, almost all of them work for a little while but come with side effects like diminished health, diminished energy, and a strong likelihood of regaining more weight than you lost.

To lose that much weight, slow and steady is the best way to lose it and keep it off.

You didn't reach that weight quickly. Don't expect to get rid of that weight quickly either.
  • nheckert
    nheckert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very true. I need to find some different foods I like. :) Thanks!
  • nheckert
    Options
    There are lots of ways to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week (which is where the 1-2 pound guideline comes from).

Unfortunately, almost all of them work for a little while but come with side effects like diminished health, diminished energy, and a strong likelihood of regaining more weight than you lost.

To lose that much weight, slow and steady is the best way to lose it and keep it off.

You didn't reach that weight quickly. Don't expect to get rid of that weight quickly either.

Very true! :) I try to keep this in mind. Thanks!
  • nheckert
    Options
    Since your diary is closed, can't see. Are you just logging food and calories and eating at a defecit and focused on the nutrition side of things or are you actively working out at least a few days a week? If you are working out how often and what do your workouts look like?

I try to stick to the 1200 calories as closely as possible. My typical workouts consist of treadmill or elliptical about 3 times/week for 30-60 minutes and one day a week I work out with a trainer for an hour.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories burned to lose one pound. So a 500 calorie deficit per day gives you 1 pound a week. If you want to lose more than that, then you have to have a higher deficit, either by eating less or burning more calories. If you decide to eat less, then be sure you take your calories from your simple carbs and not your protein. Shoot for 90-100gr of protein, and 50 gr of healthy fats per day, then fill the rest with non-starch veggies and 1 or 2 fruits per day.
    Adequate protein, along with moderate, weight bearing exercise, will help you keep your muscle mass.
    Adequate fats will keep you feeling more satiated, and keep your hormones in line, and hair and skin from getting dry.
    Cutting down on carbs overall, but especially simple sugar and processed white carbs, will help prevent carb cravings, and water weight fluctuations.
    Being more active thruout the day will burn more calories overall than a hard 30-60 min workout if you don't do anything else the rest of the day.

That said, a steady 1 pound per week is a very healthy rate for you at the amount you need to lose.
    However, with 80 pounds to lose, you can get away with a slightly higher deficit for a while if you make sure you get in the necessary nutrients. Another 250 cals cut, or burned per day will give you another half pound per week.

ETA Didn't see that you were on 1200 before I wrote this. Try not to let your overall cals go too far below 1200, at least not on a regular basis. As this could cause binging.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Try to eat five very smalls throughtout the day. Breakfast snack lunch snack and very small meal at dinner. It keeps your metabolism going constant. Strange as it sounds but the more you eat the more you will lose. (as long as it is very healthy choices-fruits and vegetables all natural) Always make sure you eat all the calories for your current weight and adjust the calories down as you lose the weight. When you change your goal weight as you lose the weight your daily caloric intake should be less. If you already drink eight cups of water a day the more water you drink the more you will lose. Try to add even one extra cup of water to what you already drink. Weigh in the mornings and never in the evening time since you weigh more at night. Make sure you weigh at the same time of day. I also wear the same outfit each time I weigh and different clothes may be heavier or lighter. You are on the right path if you are losing one pound aweek. The slower you lose it the longer you will keep it off. Stay motivated. you are doing a great job.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I intended on saying.

Losing more than 1 pound per week will be easy, but keeping that off won’t be. You’re more likely to regain the weight when its lost at a faster rate. And, (I know this to be especially true for me) most people do more damage from the emotional effect of regaining the weight. None of the advice you’ve received is bad. You should try to do all those things anways. But, best to be the turtle on this one! Slow and steady.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm close to your height, and started around where you are starting.

I lost all my weight so far at the average rate of 0.95 lbs per week. I say average, because weightloss isn't linear. Some weeks it was less than half a lb, some weeks it was closer to 1.5 lbs. But it averages out to almost spot on a lb per week.

I didn't hit any plateaus at all - losing at this rate helps you avoid plateaus. It also gives your skin a chance to recover too.

To help keep it closer to 1 lb per week, I highly recommend getting a digital food scale and meticulously weighing everything - even condiments. Nothing will ever be perfectly accurate, but increasing your accuracy helps a lot.
  • vcostilla
    Options
    I was where you were last week, except I was only dropping 1/2 pound a week. I spoke to our church weight loss group and asked what they were doing since they were dropping pounds, consistently. They told me that they cut back on their daily carb intake. You eat 6 small meals a day, consisting of healthy fats, 15 carbs, and a protein. You are allowed 100 carbs a day, 6-10 proteins, and healthy fats. Thats it! I started Monday and already saw a 3 pound weight loss. Its like clean eating but different. I don't know the name of the book but I can find out for you, if you are interested. i've only managed to workout 3 times this week. Hope that helps. Victoria :smile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I try to stick to the 1200 calories as closely as possible. My typical workouts consist of treadmill or elliptical about 3 times/week for 30-60 minutes and one day a week I work out with a trainer for an hour.

Are you eating back your exercise cals? If so, then try eating back only half of them. If you aren't eating them back, then don't drop any lower than 1200 with the exercise you are doing. Instead, try trading off some more protein and healthy fats to replace some simple carbs. And make sure you are accurately measuring everything and logging everything.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

There's your problem. You don't need to be eating that low. Are you eating back your exercise calories? (hint - you should be, if you're eating that low)
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I was where you were last week, except I was only dropping 1/2 pound a week. I spoke to our church weight loss group and asked what they were doing since they were dropping pounds, consistently. They told me that they cut back on their daily carb intake. You eat 6 small meals a day, consisting of healthy fats, 15 carbs, and a protein. You are allowed 100 carbs a day, 6-10 proteins, and healthy fats. Thats it! I started Monday and already saw a 3 pound weight loss. Its like clean eating but different. I don't know the name of the book but I can find out for you, if you are interested. i've only managed to workout 3 times this week. Hope that helps. Victoria :smile:

Is this the First Place program? If so, it is set up on an exchange system, similar to the diabetic diet. It is a very well balanced nutritional program.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    203 weight

1200 calories?

OP Is that correct?
  • bradford081
    bradford081 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been losing 2-3.5 pounds per week by making sure that I am always slightly under my calorie goal per day. The only way to guarantee that happens without unhealthily starving yourself is with exercise...especially cardio. I run pretty frequently. If you're not ready for running, long long walks are helpful. You'll burn 100 calories (min) for every mile walked.

Yesterday I checked in on my withings scale at 194.3. Weighed in this morning at the exact same time and I am now 193.3. If you look at my log from yesterday, you'll see that I consumed 1551 calories but drank tons of water, and went to the gym and did two long runs.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I can only say that the following changes have made the pounds really start to come off, and I've gone from less than 1 pound per week loss, to more than 2 pounds per week loss -
    1) eating at 80% of TDEE (which for me meant increasing my calories)
    2) increasing protein to 40% of diet, and good fats to 30%
    3) On top of my usual workouts, I've added running as fast as I possibly can for about a minute at various points during the day. It's very informal, but it works for me, and by doing it at 3 different times -morning, afternoon, late afternoon, it has really revved up my losses.
    I already work out a lot, and eat pretty clean (food diary is open). I'm not into gimmicks or things that take too much planning and formality, so I tend to do things that are less drastic.