OK, I'm ready for some help. What am I doing wrong

Options
jmkmomm
jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
My diary is open, or at least I think it is. I know it's open to my friends. I am sticking to my calories every day and not losing a thing. Please give me some advice. I do eat processed foods and I'm not sure I can give that up. I am not a cook. I do fix and occasional egg salad or peanut butter and pickle relish sandwich for lunch but the rest of the lunch is good.

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If MFP gives you 1500 and you eat 1300 on average, you're most likely putting your body into starvation mode. In this mode, your metabolism becomes so slow that it doesn't even need 1300 a day, thus halting your fat burn. Please read up on BMR and TDEE to get yourself out of this situation.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are, but I am assuming average height. that you are 209 pounds. Therefore, that means you need more calories (not a measly 1300 per day). You will probably not go into starvation mode as another poster said. That topic has been highly argued on this site, and there have been many links an articles proving it's a myth. (NOT a myth for someone who eats an insane deficit, such as 700 calories per day, over exercising, a very low weight.) I've read some articles about starvation mode in the overweight and obese category, and it's very hard for someone carrying a lot of extra weight to go into "starvation mode" (Note: This is all based off articles I've read, threads I've read, etc. Please don't take it as concrete fact! I am still just a member of MFP trying to help as best I can and not scare you to death of starving! :flowerforyou: )

That being said, perhaps paying closer attention to your macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) could help you. I notice you are high on carbs, but low on proteins. I've heard that eating more protein (I eat about 100 grams per day, and I eat 1500 calories + 1/2 my exercise calories) can help you along. at the very least, protein aids in muscle growth, which burns fat off your body. If you only eat 1300, you should not be eating the carbohydrates allotted to you for 1500's worth of calories. Think of it kindof like money, you have 1500 to spend.

Also, you say you cannot cut out junky and processed foods. You don't have to be a cook to eat clean and healthy! I started my own journey unable to cook a chicken breast. I am now a self-proclaimed master chef :tongue:

I notice you eat those nature valley granola bars a lot. I found a great, 100% super easy no cook granola recipe and I made it and loved it. it's 100% natural, and 100% delicious. Try them instead of those junk-filled crap bars! They taste better too. http://freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.ca/2011/03/clean-eating-healthy-homemade-granola.html

Do you exercise? And perhaps try eating at more frequent intervals. These both boost your metabolism to get the calories pumping and burning!

Most importantly, have you measured yourself? Sometimes scales don't move, but the inches are falling off. Message me with any other questions if you want, I'll try my best to help :) I hope you begin to lose again, and good work on your journey so far! Be patient and everything will work out for you :)
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are, but I am assuming average height. that you are 209 pounds. Therefore, that means you need more calories (not a measly 1300 per day). You will probably not go into starvation mode as another poster said. That topic has been highly argued on this site, and there have been many links an articles proving it's a myth. (NOT a myth for someone who eats an insane deficit, such as 700 calories per day, over exercising, a very low weight.) I've read some articles about starvation mode in the overweight and obese category, and it's very hard for someone carrying a lot of extra weight to go into "starvation mode" (Note: This is all based off articles I've read, threads I've read, etc. Please don't take it as concrete fact! I am still just a member of MFP trying to help as best I can and not scare you to death of starving! :flowerforyou: )

That being said, perhaps paying closer attention to your macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) could help you. I notice you are high on carbs, but low on proteins. I've heard that eating more protein (I eat about 100 grams per day, and I eat 1500 calories + 1/2 my exercise calories) can help you along. at the very least, protein aids in muscle growth, which burns fat off your body. If you only eat 1300, you should not be eating the carbohydrates allotted to you for 1500's worth of calories. Think of it kindof like money, you have 1500 to spend.

Also, you say you cannot cut out junky and processed foods. You don't have to be a cook to eat clean and healthy! I started my own journey unable to cook a chicken breast. I am now a self-proclaimed master chef :tongue:

I notice you eat those nature valley granola bars a lot. I found a great, 100% super easy no cook granola recipe and I made it and loved it. it's 100% natural, and 100% delicious. Try them instead of those junk-filled crap bars! They taste better too. http://freezeyourwayfit.blogspot.ca/2011/03/clean-eating-healthy-homemade-granola.html

Do you exercise? And perhaps try eating at more frequent intervals. These both boost your metabolism to get the calories pumping and burning!

Most importantly, have you measured yourself? Sometimes scales don't move, but the inches are falling off. Message me with any other questions if you want, I'll try my best to help :) I hope you begin to lose again, and good work on your journey so far! Be patient and everything will work out for you :)

^^^^^This^^^^^ Up your protein, lower your carbs a bit. How about salads with tuna or chicken or some other protein added.
  • kentermom4
    Options
    Hi
    I am stuck too. Been stuck for 2 weeks-changed up a few things with help from the people on here and the weight is moving again ! You should up your protein (lean protein) quite a bit ! The empty carbs need to be trimmed down, I found that as I eliminated all the processed stuff from my diet the weight really came off fast. I joined this site after 3 months on my own-I was heavy enough when I started in Jan that the scale didn't register. Just make the changes slowly-cut back on a few things at a time and you won't miss it. Cooking is easy-tons of videos and step by step recipes online-try some ! I also make my own snacks and freeze them-you have control over what goes in them. I also use the divided plate at dinner thing-half the plate veggies-quarter or more of protein and small third carbs. That might help too. Also I changed up my calories a few days-going higher and lower and my workouts too. Seems to be helping ! Good luck-just keep moving !
  • skyler8937
    Options
    I was stuck at 220 for like two weeks, I had my settings to lose 1.5 pounds a week. MFP told me to consume 1,500 calories a day and so I was. And I was feeling extremely satisfied, I wasn't feeling hungry or deprived so I stuck to my 1,500. And each day the scale stayed the same, I would get more and more frustrated.

Then I remembered last year when I was doing Calorie King, I was consuming about 1,800 calories a day and the weight was coming off. So last week, I changed my setting on MFP to losing 1 pound per week and that upped my calorie intake to 1,700. I've lost about 4 pounds since doing that.

Also, I totally get that you're not a good cook and processed foods are very accomodating but they are SO, SO, SO bad for your body. Why not challenge yourself to learn some new, easy, quick and fun cooking tips? :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? If not, you should start. As an older woman it is hard to lose weight without exercise. I believe as we age exercise becomes more and more important for weight loss, especially for women.

If you have no medical conditions that affect your kidney or liver, upping your protien would be a good idea. But honestly if you are not exercising now and haven't been exercising for some time, I would not suggest upping your calories. Likely your metabolism has slowed with age. Only exercise will prevent or reverse that.

And it would also be good to clean up your diet a bit Eat more vegetables and lean proteins and less sodium. You don't have to be a cook to prepare vegetables. Eat them raw, toss them in oil and roast them, buy frozen and nuke them. Get a crockpot and a crockpot cookbook. Crockpot cooking requires very little actual "cooking" to prepare a good healthy meal.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. The calories were set by MFP. I am diabetic and the hospital dietician actually set it at 1300 calories. Yes, I am aware I eat to many prcoessed foods. I just can't cook and my husband hates to eat at home dues to the fact of his non ability to leave the left overs alone so we go out every evening. I do exercise, it's jsut that I always forget to log it in. I have MS so I can't do a lot fo the exercise that most of you do. I walk a mile and that is really pushing it. I usually burn about 150 calories. I appreciate all your input