Water Retention--Any natural food/drink remedies?? Help!

Options
It's like I keep fluid in my body. Physical turns out nothing--so it's nothing my doctor can diagnose, so I'm just looking for some ways to release this water naturally. I was told a daily dose (recipe) of cucumber, celery and fresh lime juice does the trick. Any other suggestions? --Thanks!

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For me, more water helps. I thought it would have the opposite effect but when I'm properly hydrated, I tend to hold onto water less.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was told to drink half your weight in ounces of water. I was feeling bloated really bad. So I tired this and I feel better.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For me, more water helps. I thought it would have the opposite effect but when I'm properly hydrated, I tend to hold onto water less.

^^^^^ This!! ^^^^^^^ I am the same way. I thought the more water I drank the more bloated I would get but it was the complete opposite. It turns out, water pushes all the sodium and other toxins out of your body. The more water you drink, and pee out, the better it is for you and the less bloated you feel.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Eat less sodium. Drink more water.
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid disease, which causes water retention. A couple of things that I have found that works:
    Green tea with lemon.
    Squeezing some fresh lemon juice into a glass of water.
    2 teaspoons of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in water.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I discovered that anything with ibuprofen makes me retain water. Especially in my feet. :(
    But it has helped me to rely less on popping Motrin, etc. because I hate it when my feet swell, and the temporary weight gain I will get.
    Also...I always retain water after eating chinese food... regular salt doesn't seem to do it as much as chinese food, lol.

Drink LOTS of water.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and try dandelion root tea, its my go too for when I'm feeling bloated
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lemon in water really helps.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Eat less salty, starchy, and carb laden food. As you know, salt makes you retain water, and your body requires the extra water to process those carbs. If the body has less carbs to process, then the body simply gets rid of the extra water it no longer requires.

Additionally, as someone else mentioned make sure you drink plenty of water to flush stuff out.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eat less sodium. Drink more water.

This.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's like I keep fluid in my body. Physical turns out nothing--so it's nothing my doctor can diagnose, so I'm just looking for some ways to release this water naturally. I was told a daily dose (recipe) of cucumber, celery and fresh lime juice does the trick. Any other suggestions? --Thanks!

Vegetables are GREAT for shedding extra water weight, because of the magnesium and potassium they contain (providing you don't load a lot of salt on them). Drinking lots of water helps too because when you don't get enough water, your body issues hormones that cause you to hang onto the water already in your tissues. Lemon and lime juice are great to add to your water--makes it much tastier and more interesting to drink (without added sugar or artificial sweetener). I add organic lemon juice to the water I drink all day long.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Are you a soda drinker? I ask because I used to be horribly bloated, dehydrated, yet had to pee all the time. My stomach would blow out like a creature was trying to get out and my legs, joints, and feet used to swell up and ache all the time. I gave up soda and and replaced it with water and all that went away. I only drank diet soda anyway but getting rid of that crap made me feel a lot better and I never had that puffed up, bloated stomach feeling again.

My body still retains water very easily so I do not add salt to anything. If I happen to have something with a lot of sodium or someone cooked something with salt my tummy down to my toes blows up with water retention.

You an try green tea or cranberry pills or juice to help you out.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and stay away from salty foods.
  • jinjer83
    jinjer83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me. Do it religiously.

Warm water with lemon first thing on mornings before I eat
    a cup of green tea after every meal
    more water or I add cranberry juice to my water
    Apple cider vinegar capsules
  • maryp18
    maryp18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a 60 ounce jug or water bottle...

60 ounces of water
    1 tbs of pure cranberry juice (no sugar added)
    2 tbs of lemon juice
    1 dandelion root tea bag (found mine at whole foods)

drink for a week and lose up to 5 lbs of water weight. continue to eat whatever it is you eat, but make sure you drink 60 ounces a day of that!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I discovered that anything with ibuprofen makes me retain water. Especially in my feet. :(
    But it has helped me to rely less on popping Motrin, etc. because I hate it when my feet swell, and the temporary weight gain I will get.
    Also...I always retain water after eating chinese food... regular salt doesn't seem to do it as much as chinese food, lol.

Drink LOTS of water.

Two things: If you find that ibuprofen makes you retain water in your feet, it is important that you NOT take it as that is a sign that it is harming your body. The mother of my friend went into kidney failure from her habit of taking ibuprofen for her arthritis. Can't imagine why the FDA ever approved over-the-counter sales of ibuprofen---it damages a lot of people who think it is harmless.

It is usually the huge amount of MSG in Chinese food that causes water retention. A lot of Chinese restaurants now advertise that they do not use MSG in their food--but they also use a lot of salt so you can request that they eliminate the salt from your order and add your own salt.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Dandelion. It can be found at your local health food store in capsules and in tea. The leaf has more of a diuretic affect than does the root. I take the capsules nightly. During TOM, I take one serving 3x per day, and have LOST weight during the past 4 month's TOM.

Also you can incorporate some diuretic foods. The best list I've found is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/36-diuretic-foods/
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Dandelion. It can be found at your local health food store in capsules and in tea. The leaf has more of a diuretic affect than does the root. I take the capsules nightly. During TOM, I take one serving 3x per day, and have LOST weight during the past 4 month's TOM.

Also you can incorporate some diuretic foods. The best list I've found is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/36-diuretic-foods/

The other thing you can do is to grow dandelion and then include the greens in your salads. :smile:
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Water retention (if not from a medical problem) is typically from too much salt. They teach in nursing school to always remember that "water follows salt." If you eat more salt, you have more salt in your body and so your body holds on to more water. This is because in order to maintain a healthy balance for normal body processes, there has to be a certain salt/water ratio in the body. So to make it not so complicated, either drink more water to flush it out or eat less salt. :)
  • merinabullock
    Options
    Potassium has always helped me with the bloat. Mmmmmmm 'naners!