HELP I am always hungry!!!

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise?

Are you weighing your food?

Also you've only been on a deficit for a week it takes a little time for your body to adjust to the deficit. I'm also assuming you didn't slowly lower your deficit and just went straight from say a 2000 calorie diet to a 1200 calorie diet. This will make you hungry.
  • MrsRamseyForever
    MrsRamseyForever Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Kosher Gelatin Since gelatin comes from cow hooves, I’m not sure how you get a kosher version of it.

Not sure if someone else pointed it out already, but thought I should point out that "kosher" does not mean "vegan". Kosher refers to the way that food is killed/processed/prepared and cooked and eaten- it is done according to Jewish law and principals. When something is marked as Kosher it tells Jews that this food has been prepared according to the laws and principals that they live by and it is ok for them to eat. Just thought I would clarify.
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    seems that the person that posted about body by VI has deleted there post.. & not sure how the kosher part m,atters i was makeing a poijnt that the ingredients in body by VI is not good for you. Thanks
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You don't need to increase your calories.

You DO need to make sure that what you are eating is low enough in calories to allow you to eat decent sized servings while staying within your calorie goal. Also keep healthy/low cal snacks available (veggies, oyster crackers, etc).

You just started, so obviously your body isn't used to the reduction in calories/serving sizes yet. It will be though. Feeling this way is pretty normal. It takes about a week or two for your stomach to shrink and not feel like this. It'll be okay. I promise.

Exactly. It annoys me when people say 1200 calories leaves you starving, is way too low, unrealistic etc.... You just need to know how to balance meals properly. It worked for me, I never felt starving and managed a sweet snack within my calorie goal by planning correctly.

You are not going to be eating 1200 calories forever. It is just temporary. It can actually teach you how to eat the right way and prepare you for long term maintenance, and a permanent lifestyle change by learning how to make proper meals and learning what epty calories to cut out. It can make you understand the crap that you add to food that you can live without. In the meantime, cut out the cookies, candies, cakes, or any other empty calories you may be eating ( it will not be forever) and fill up you day with fruits, veggies, yogurts, and protein in all your meals. Buy a food scale to learn how to make appropriate serving sizes. 4oz of chicken, fish, and steak are low calorie, fill you up, and will help you feel satisfied on 1200 cal a day. Then add your sides to each meal according to your main dish.

I am moving towards maintenance and am eating 1430 calories a day and with those extra calories I have ice cream, a piece of cake, or whatever other sweet a feel like eating and I am still losing weight and still do not feel hungry.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    HI-
    I just started MFP last week and i have lost 2 lbs, but i am hungry all the time. i have gone over my calories the past two days which is set at 1200 by MFP. I think about food all the time and I hate it! I found that i am satisfied with 1500-1800 calories but that is too much for me, i will maintain not lose with those calories. I am very short 5'0.5 and my weight last week was 166 should I just maybe eat between 1200-1500 for my sanity :)

Are you really hungry? Maybe you're thirsty.

When you get those mild hunger pains, imagine that you're a warrior. A warrior who fights for weight loss. Train your body to deal with hunger. Not to promote anorexia but to promote healthy portions of food because I know here in America things have been seriously distorted.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started 2.5 weeks ago. I have found that the longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. Some days it is even hard for me to get to my calorie goal. Make sure you are eating food with protein at every meal. It really helps keep you full.
  • khans17
    khans17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    your body is adjusting. It is good that you're not giving in though. Once your body loses weight or gets calories restricted, it makes you feel more hungry (wish I could remember the medical mechanism for this but I think it's a hormone). This mechanism makes you eat more (or want to very badly) to maintain it's homeostasis or status quo.

Try to plug on, which is sounds like you are. I find that when I eat any food that's real salty or sugary, my hunger goes out of control. Until you're over this, I would try to be as good as you can about eating a lot of veggies (fiber and vitamins) and protein. I also find that I am more satisfied when I eat more greens/vitamin A.

Karen
  • khans17
    khans17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    oh, and try to force water!

I drink a green tea in the afternoon and chamomile at night. It really helps.
  • dmberreth
    Options

Are you really hungry? Maybe you're thirsty.

This is the big one to watch out for. Especially if you are coming off of not meeting calorie goals, not eating healthier foods, etc etc. Your body doesn't necessarily know the difference between hunger and thirst - it just knows that it needs one or the other. Since we very often drink while we eat, the body simple gives you the urge to consume, regardless if it is actual hunger or not.

Retraining your body to know the difference takes time, but it'll be worth it.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I found that it takes about 2 weeks for your stomach to shrink a bit or get used to smaller portions. Also, I found that if you eat a snack between meals (like apple, banana, fat-free yogourt) it lessens your hunger until the next meal. Then when you have your next meal, you don't have to eat as much to get rid of the hunger as you already have "something in the tank" so to speak. And yes, if you are keeping hydrated with water, that takes up a bit of space in your stomach too. Just give it one more week and you won't be as hungry all the time. Good luck!
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you can I would recommend seeing a nutritionist first and let her or him set your calorie intake. My nutritionist found my weak spots and made suggestions. I now eat five small meals a day with a small protien at every meal. My most important meal is my 4:00 snack of Yougart and 1/.2 cup of cereral because it prevents me from being famished and overeating at my 7:00 dinner (although dinner is still my hardest meal to control)

Good luck.
  • jppric2
    jppric2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been doing MFP since mid-January. I started at 1200 calories and day and then began exercising more and lost some weight and went up to 1350 a day. Even after two full months I was still constantly starving and I would end up craving sweets and often caving in. I recently decided to up my calories to 1500 a day. I'm still going to bed hungry, but I don't get so hungry between meals like I have been. Allowing myself to eat more at meals is helping, and truly eating more healthy stuff at meal time is better than me limiting myself and then having an intense craving for a reese cup and having one of those! I think increasing your calories a little bit wouldn't hurt. I have a MFP friend who is at a similar weight as you and she upped hers to about 1650 and is still losing at a steady rate - with exercise of course.
  • HealthyFitGirl
    HealthyFitGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't too much more to this than others have but I feel compelled to try and drive home the points.

1. Your body will adjust. Give it time.
    2. Drink water. Are you hungry or thirsty? Drink 4-8 oz water first give 10-15 minutes and check back in.
    2. What are you eating? Empty calories add up FAST! If you're going to snack on say on M&M's, read the label first. If it's 2 serving per pack at 260 calories each (random made up) then split the package. Maybe the next snack can be planned..have 13 baby carrots with a hummus dip and then if i'm still feeling snackish, have the candy.
    3. Chew slow, enjoy the flavor of whatever it is. Give your brain and body time to catch up that you're hungry and now you've ate. It's why we tend to overeat.
    4. Balance you're plate and alter eating: I drink 8 oz water first, then tons of veggies, then protein then carbs or starch each getting smaller then the previous.
    5. Clean up your eating: try to get eat food as close to the source as possible. I like cakes so now I bake my own so I control my ingredients. In turn, now if i have a piece of "store made/packaged" cake I taste the chemcials behind it and it doesn't sit well with my palate or stomach.
    6. Ask questions: what is this i'm eating? will this fill me up? why am i eating it? do i really need this? what's it made of?
    7. Lastly, why are you eating? When I get pissed, I find myself turning to food. Are you bored? Keep a glass of water near you. Put some 2 strawberries in it to feel fancy and sip on it. You ge the point.
    MOVE YOUR BODY - walk, skip, squat, lunge do something!
    Be kind to yourself. Not every moment will be perfect but more moments are coming to perfect.

Good Luck.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Protein Protein Protein!!

Try to have it be the main part of each meal. Lean proteins are low in calories and very filling. Also, since you are just starting, you could try eating around 1400 calories a day instead, or figure out your TDEE and eat TDEE-20% and you can still lose.
  • bippybee
    bippybee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely think about adding in more vegetables and fruit. Aim for wholegrain foods too if you can. I'm on 1200 calories a day and I'm not getting hungry. I always start with wholegrain muesli with yoghurt for breakfast and have found that a raw carrot or 2 will keep you going during the daytime. Calories in things like cucumber and tomatoes are negligible so you can make a big salad for lunch with minimal calories, so there's still room for pork or a taco or whatever you want to have with it. I think raw food is more nutritious so helps you from getting hungry too soon.

That said, for most women there will be a point in your cycle when you get more hungry than usual, so maybe consider tracking that too, so you can be a bit more forgiving of yourself during these periods and not get discouraged.
  • skyler8937
    Options
    And if I could just add...

If you are a sugar addict, it will take some time to detox your body from that. When you totally cut out the sugary snacks like the M&Ms and the cookies, your body will go into some serious withdrawel for at least a week. You'll have mood swings and your energy levels will fluctuate but hang in there! You gotta get that stuff out of your system. :-)

Also, pay attention and even write down when these cravings fall during the month. About one week before my cycle starts, I become obsessed with food. I think about it all the time and feel constantly hungry. I am much more likely to crave chocolate and sugar. So, pay attention to how these relate to your monthly cycle and plan!!! If you know the time is coming that you're going to be hungrier than usual, pack more, healthy snacks. If you know you're going to crave chocolate, have a plan for a small indulgence.

I'd agree with everyone though when they say, you're only a couple weeks in to this so your body is adjusting. If you feel hungry, then eat. But eat fruits or vegetables, low calorie foods that will fill you up but not demolish your calorie intake for the day. :-)
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your diary you need to add CLEAN foods and FATs to your diet like Coconut oil chia seeds avocados almonds you have fat in your diet but not a lot of good ones as far as i can see
    You don't show a lot of veggies or fruit in your daily diet and whole grains
    try for 2 servings of fruit like berries you can have about 1.5 cups of Strawberries or 1 cup of raspberries or blueberries or black berries
    And add a 1/2 cup cottage cheese with that and some chia seeds for GOOD Fat and thats a great snack and it will hold you over
    also watch your SUGAR intake fruit is very high in sugar and yes its a natural sugar but you still need to watch how much you put in your day
    You can add me as a friend if you like and we can maybe help each other with are struggles
    Be HEALTHY Bev
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    1) Go read some stories of peoples weight loss in the community. You will see people who eat 1500-2000 calories every day. You CAN eat that many calories - you just need to move some more. You can totally stick with your 1200 though... but you need something that works for you. I'm in a group of girls from MFP and a lot of us are finding that after we upped our calories out of the 1200 mark we ended up losing more weight. We also had more energy which helped up get more active.

2) Eat some protein!!! :D It seriously helps! Chobani is a good source of protein if you are looking for something light. I always go for some lean meats. If I can't do that I fall on Chocbani, turkey jerky, cottage cheese, and I've even picked up some Special K protein cereal. (I've tried protein powder but it actually really misses with my tummy - so after buying two different kinds I found it was too expensive for me to keep going.)

Hope you find something that helps!

This! You can absolutely lose weight eating 1,500 calories. I did! My Fitness Pal is just a guideline. You have to find a program that works best for YOU. If your always hungry, cranky and unsatisfied, than it's time to change things! Otherwise, it will be less likely that you stick to the program. If you find what works best for you, you are more likely to stick to it!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Check your calories. (They're too low.)

Eat more lean protein. (for me: eating crap = me: craving crap)

Preempt hunger. (I eat a crap load of food at lunch. Mostly chicken breast and roasted veggies. I chase it with a Clif bar and 3-4 glasses of water. (about 2 bottle))

drink lots of water. (Sometimes when you feel hungry you are really just thirsty.)