Why do omega 3 FA's taste so dang bad?

Options
_noob_
_noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
And yeah, everyone is going have their pet food that has them that tastes good (heck, I'm eating sugar with my flaxseed right now). But seriously if they're so good for you, why do they taste so bad by themselves?

Replies

• hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Salmon tastes good!
  • andrewbadera
    andrewbadera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis? Almond oil is awesome. Also the Omapure distilled fish oil I use has very little fishy taste, but DID still take some getting used to, and sometimes still DOES make me cringe a bit, but it's tolerable. Do you keep your oils refrigerated? If not, they can get rancid, fast, and THEN they taste horrible, regardless of other factors. Some oils are rancid when you buy them, you need a good brand and a good supplier. Amazon's lean inventory practices and prime shipping have treated me well in all but one Omega-3 oil purchase over the years.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed oil in greek yogurt is YUUMMMMMMM
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't taste the capsules I take. How are you getting your omega 3?

Also, I eat lots of salmon because it tastes so damn good.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    And yeah, everyone is going have their pet food that has them that tastes good (heck, I'm eating sugar with my flaxseed right now). But seriously if they're so good for you, why do they taste so bad by themselves?

Well, there's your problem. You're supposed to get them from PEOPLE food.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Lol @ you crunching on spoonfuls of flaxseed. Haha
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I just eat eggs with omega 3. Its just an egg!

I add milled flax seed to baked goods. its a muffin or cookie! Don't tasted nothing else!
    :ohwell:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Flax seeds taste bad because they're flax seeds. Flax seeds are crappy for getting omega-3s anyway, since the fats they contain aren't the kind of omega-3s that are useful.

Salmon, though? Tuna? Mackerel? Delicious! And high in EPA and DHA.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The yellow flaxeeds taste waaaaay better than the brown. I store them in the freezer and then grind right before eating. I think they're yummy! I like a spoon full on yogurt, cottage cheese, in oatmeal, in anything I bake,
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ha Agreed OP!

Louis CK did a stand up bit about him thinking we arent supposed to be on this planet, cuz we are uncomfortable most of the time.
    It has to be exactly 70-72 for us to be happy. Similar scenario, i dont think we were meant for this planet cuz everything thats good for us tastes like sht :-) well comparitively speaking obviously us healthy folks have all trained ourselves to like it!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

They're in a cereal I was eating...(from Trader Joes, so that makes it healthy right?)
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm not in the usual habit of chowing down on my fish oil capsule and ground flaxseed I sprinkle on top of my cereal or mix with my eggs. Salmon tastes great too so I don't see the issue?
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out, that if tomorrow suddenly twinkies had the same health benefits and stats as flax or salmon you know you'd all be grabbin twinkies instead!~ just sayin

now im thinking about twinkies....
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

They're in a cereal I was eating...(from Trader Joes, so that makes it healthy right?)

nah, just means it doesn't have any crazy chemically ingredients. :)

love TJ's