Compression Sleeve for shin splints?

Options
I'm having some moderate (almost severe this morning :() shin pain. Its only my right leg, no bruising or swelling. I've been icing it after every run, and I don't run a lot/or very hard, in a beginners training program. I've read that the only way to completely heal shin splints is rest...I don't want to do that. Icing does help tremendously. Has anyone tried the compression sleeves for shin splints? Do they help and what brand would you recommend? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm having some moderate (almost severe this morning :() shin pain. Its only my right leg, no bruising or swelling. I've been icing it after every run, and I don't run a lot/or very hard, in a beginners training program. I've read that the only way to completely heal shin splints is rest...I don't want to do that. Icing does help tremendously. Has anyone tried the compression sleeves for shin splints? Do they help and what brand would you recommend? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Have you talked with an Ortho physician or your Primary Care Physician to make sure this would be the right thing for you>?

Have you had a chance to be evaluated for anything else going on?
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    When I was younger (high school) I was evaluated and at that time I had a disease where my bones grew too quickly and put lots of stress on my tendons and muscles, can't remeber what its called. But ever since then I've always had problems with shin splints. So, just looking for a way to relieve some of the tension/pain. Just wondering if anyone has had good results with the compression sleeve...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Not to be a stick in the mud but coming from someone who has gotten them lots through years of soccer, your best bet is to rest....If you don't they will get worse......If you can't / choose not to continue to ice and take some ibuprofen......I have used compression sleeves and they did not make a difference. Eventually as you strengthen them, you won't have as many problems with them. Have you been doing much sprinting or has it all been moderate jogging?
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things to think about to get you through. 1: Make sure you have well cushioned, properly fitting tennis shoes. 2: Try to run on softer ground. Concrete is the worst. Asphalt is pretty giving, but if you can, try to run next to you trail or side walk in the grass. 3: Make sure you keep icing and don't increase you mileage. If anything, reduce it by 10% until you can get through your runs painless. If the pain does. Of go away after a few weeks, then you might want to put running on hold for a week or so to recoup.

Sorry, no experience with compression sleeves, just shin splints.
  • jreimund
    Options
    Mostly moderate jogging, but I did try to go too fast last night...I know thats why it hurting so bad today. Thanks for the info
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i assume you are wearing the correct running shoes? I don't think compression sleeves are going to work for you, it seems the things you are doing will work. I use to get them but they stopped when i got the correct running shoe. I also walk on my heels a few mins per day, that really works that area, it will hurt if you have shin splints, but i found this helped me. good luck.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    A couple of my athlete's have had severe shin splints. I had to tape them before every practice and game and they had to ice and elevate after each. Rest is best, but if you don't want to do that and if you can't tape, then the sleeve is a good thing. Make sure that you are fit properly into it though. If it's to loose it will do nothing to help you and they are not cheap. Look on Eastbay or Europort for them. Search other sports stores as well. Good luck. If you have little dixie cups they work great for icing. Fill they with water, put in freezer, then peel away the cup as the ice melts as you are rubbing it on your shin
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just went through a spell with shin splints. I ignored them at first and for months kept pushing through the pain but it got so bad I had to see a doctor. He put me on Motrin 3 times a day and had me do some physical therapy. I used stretching exercises and ice. BUT... the only thing that really worked was rest from exercise. It was a bitter pill to swallow and it put a damper on my weight loss. However my legs finally got better. I changed up some of my exercises so I don't constantly irritate the tendons. I got the shin splints from walking with Leslie Sansone. Now I do step aerobics too and it uses different muscles. One would think step aerobics would be harder on the legs but the fast walking, running and jumping I did with Leslie really caused the problem. I did that type of exercise for a year. Take a break if you have to. Listen to your body. Even though my week long rest put a damper on my weight loss it was only temporary and thankfully I didn't gain. The shin splint compression sleeves I use are McDavid. Ohh one last thing... make sure you use stability sneakers. Asics are the ones I bought. They make a tremendous difference. Good luck. You have my sympathy.
  • jreimund
    Options
    Here are a few things to think about to get you through. 1: Make sure you have well cushioned, properly fitting tennis shoes. 2: Try to run on softer ground. Concrete is the worst. Asphalt is pretty giving, but if you can, try to run next to you trail or side walk in the grass. 3: Make sure you keep icing and don't increase you mileage. If anything, reduce it by 10% until you can get through your runs painless. If the pain does. Of go away after a few weeks, then you might want to put running on hold for a week or so to recoup.

Sorry, no experience with compression sleeves, just shin splints.

I run on a soft trail mostly, sometimes asphalt, but I don't do concrete, it hurts! lol. I recently was fitted for shoes and purchased a good pair so I know thats not the problem. Thanks for the advice!
  • jreimund
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, I think I'll take it easy a few days and keep icing/ibuprofen. If it doesn't get better I may take a break. I really appreciate the support, you are all awesome!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My experience with them has been quite a learning experience. :) I agree that rest is going to be your best bet. What worked for me personally was Motrin, elevating as much as possible with a ice pack, stretching and resting. I unfortunately am always running around...job, kids, ect...so I did invest in a compression sleeve. That I wore for daily running around, it did help ease the pain and make it so I wasn't limping everywhere :) it really depends on the person. :)
  • Yayalicious
    Options
    I have shin splints so I feel your pain! My doctor recommend using sleeves and I must say they work, well at least for me they have. I also own a Medical Sealed Ice sleeve which works great. I got mine at target or walmart I can't remember but it's Ice splint therapy it also provides therapeutic ice and compression for effective treatment of inflammation and pain associated with stress on the lower leg and supports lower leg muscles and tissue.

You might want to look into purchasing one. :smile:
  • bryanlawdawg
    bryanlawdawg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello , I had shin splints and it was the worst. It was so bad I would go for a run and end up limping home. The type of shoe is the problem! Go to a place that only sells running shoes and they will evaluate your walk. I live in NC. There is a place called 9 th st feet. I went there and they had me take off my socks and shoes and walk across the room and back. It seemed weird but the girl said I was an over pronator and recomended a stability shoe. I have never had a problem since. It was literally nite and day.
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are my worst enemy. For me, any impact causes them and a few years ago when I was in my best shape ever I ended up with bilateral fractures in both tibias. I even ended up with ulcers in my stomach from taking so much ibuprofen! lol Now, I am a nurse, I know better but I ignored the pain....thought I was just being a sissy. Soooooo, I did the sneaker thing, rest, ice, nothing helps. I now use Zensah compression sleeves from runnersworld.com. I also have recently started taping with KT tape (love this stuff). For me running is a complete no-no, my sports med doc told me I am just not built to run. So, I stay away from running and use my sleeves and tape all the time. Also, google some exercises to do to strengthen your shin muscles, that helps alot (things like walking on heels, tracing alphabet in the air with your feet). Most of all REST! I know it sucks but you have to stay off what hurts for at least a week! GOOD LUCK!
  • bowhuntr09
    bowhuntr09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started running in early February and quickly started suffering from shin splints. I would come home and ice after every run and that helped. Then I discovered shin compression sleeves. I purchased Zensah's and I wear them faithfully for every run, and most of the day after a run if possible. I no longer even need to ice after a run. My shins may be a little sore or tender but thats all. I love my sleeves and won't run without them.